Author Topic: Need ideas for cheap commercial-scale mixer  (Read 1117 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Need ideas for cheap commercial-scale mixer
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:51:18 AM »
I would like to be able to mix up a dough batch equivalent to what a Hobart 60-quart with dough hook or fork can do. 

So far, ideas include:
a. engine from chainsaw, mower spindle, some new (mulching) blades to simulate a fork mixer, maybe a stepdown gear.  Large plastic tub and assorted structural pieces.

b.  plastic tub and repicrocating paddle arms that can do a stretch and fold for 100 lbs of dough, human -powered
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Need ideas for cheap commercial-scale mixer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »
Or, how about just looking for a used "off brand" mixer like a Thunderbird? Thunderbird mixers are very good mixers, but because they are an "off" brand (everyone looks for Hobart) they can be had a lot cheaper. A couple of years ago I saw a brand new 80-quart Thunderbird mixer, still bolted to the delivery pallet, with hook, flat beater, and 80-quart bowl sell for $2,200.00. There are some 120 volt 40-quart mixers out there too, and I would advise you to stay away from them unless all you plan on mixing is pizza sauce. These mixers will require either 208 or 220 volts. And don't forget about the Hobart VCM (vertical cutter mixer). This is also an excellent mixer that is well suited to mixing dough but is typically off the radar screen so prices can be pretty reasonable when you find one.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Need ideas for cheap commercial-scale mixer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Are you getting this for your home? If so why would you want such a massive mixer. Your going to have to do minimum batch sizes and a 60qt batch size is going to probably more than you need for home use.

If it's for commercial use, I don't think the HD will allow a home made mixer for serving food to the public.

pizzapan