Author Topic: Suggestions for best surface to form dough  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Chuckciao

Suggestions for best surface to form dough
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
Hi,
I am a new member and would like any suggestions on what the best surface is to form pizza dough.  I am presently using the tiled counter top and find that the dough sticks and is difficult to turn when forming the pizza even if I use abundant flour. 
Thanks

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Suggestions for best surface to form dough
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »
I would think the consensus choice would be marble.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »
Perhaps the problem is not the surface, but the dough itself. If it is as sticky as you describe, it may well give you problems on any surface. You might want to look at your mixing/kneading method to see if you can improve absorption of water by the flour.

Offline Chuckciao

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
Perhaps the problem is not the surface, but the dough itself. If it is as sticky as you describe, it may well give you problems on any surface. You might want to look at your mixing/kneading method to see if you can improve absorption of water by the flour.
Bill,
Thanks for your reply.  I used a Tom Lehman recipe posted on this forum and mixed it in a food processor.  I did notice that it seemed a bit moist after processing.  I will watch the water content in my next batch.

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
On one of those PBS cooking shows they used a unique method of applying a light coat of olive oil to the surface instead of the usual dusted w/flour technique. I can't recall if the surface was wood or stone, but it seemed to work well allowing you to stretch the dough while it gripped to the surface. I have not tried it and I have never read about this technique here on the forum. My preference is a wood surface dusted w/flour.

Anyone here aver try the oiled surface technique?

---pete---

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
I will watch the water content in my next batch.

It is often less about the water content and more about giving the flour a chance to absorb the water that is there. Also, you are weighing out all ingredients, right?

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
I form my pizza's on the kitchen counter which is aluminum (I think). What really made a difference was using a 1:1 mixture of flour and semolina flour versus just flour.

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 04:54:19 AM »
You use a flat surface. Tiled counters are not a flat surface.