Author Topic: What type of Steel Plate is Safest?  (Read 11042 times)

scott123

Re: What type of Steel Plate is Safest?
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
Jon, the principles governing a broiler drawer stone approach are no different than those governing a broiler drawer plate approach.  There may be a distance that will allow the broiler to sufficiently pre-heat the stone, while not burning the top of the pizza. On the plus side it sounds like your broiler stays on for quite some time if your oven is making it to the 700s.

But, yes, moving a hot plate isn't an option.  That's why I talked about the safety aspect earlier.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
Checked out the broiler drawer last night and the 1/4" plate I got fits in one way and could probably be hacked off with a grinder the other way.  That said I think it's just a tad small width and depth wise.  A 14" pie would be rubbing edges... I think I may pass on trying to utilize it but may change my mind.  Meanwhile I'll just keep the plates for use at friends places.  :)

EDIT:  The 1/4" thick plate in below pic is 15.5" wide.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:36:36 PM by PapaJon »
Jon

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »
Checked out the broiler drawer last night and the 1/4" plate I got fits in one way and could probably be hacked off with a grinder the other way.  That said I think it's just a tad small width and depth wise.  A 14" pie would be rubbing edges... I think I may pass on trying to utilize it but may change my mind.  Meanwhile I'll just keep the plates for use at friends places.  :)

EDIT:  The 1/4" thick plate in below pic is 15.5" wide.
I have same type of oven Jon. That broiler drawer is waay down there and you would probably have to stay kneeled down there the entire cook time. My broiler is a single straight tube and would probably require one to almost constantly be turning the pizza for an even top bake.
Use a diamond tip cut-off wheel if you decide to give it a go.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan