Author Topic: new oven  (Read 3063 times)

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
new oven
« on: September 21, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »
Hi all,  i am just remodeling my garden and i am going to build a wood burning oven i would like some help finding some plans and also refractory bricks in the UK if any one can HELP . I have had a mini-digger on hire and have dug the footings for the base concrete is coming on Saturday. Also an old school friend has a tree felling bussiness he has started droping of logs, hardwood and fruit trees are these OK.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: new oven
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 08:38:04 PM »
he has started droping of logs, hardwood and fruit trees are these OK.

Hardwood is exactly what you need. Fruit wood is hardwood. My supplier of oak and pecan logs swears they come from trees that have never been sprayed with pesticides. I find that hard to believe, but I'm hoping that at 800F any residues are rendered harmless. Take good care of your friend - a reliable source of seasoned wood is as important as flour, cheese, tomatoes, etc.

Sounds like you'll have a great new garden.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:01:29 PM »
Good luck Edge.I built mine by following the plans at this link:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/table_of_contents.html

You will get all the help and advice you need in the forum there and it's won't cost you a dime.Just like you'll find here,an enthusiastic,helpfull and generally respectful group of like minded people.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:55:36 PM »
thanks for the help bill/SFNM all the trees my friend cuts down are from residential gardens so hopefully not been sprayed apple, cherry and plum by the truck load.

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »
Hi David have been on the Forno site all evening has been a great help thanks very much. i will ring their UK rep and ask him about fire bricks, door, and vermiculite to see if he can supply.

EDGE

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 06:12:16 PM »
You can get Vermiculite or Perlite @ a good gardening Supply Shop.I still don't have a door for my oven and have been using it for a while now!Alf,who is in the North I think should point you in the right direction for the bricks.And if you want to know what to put in your oven once you've built it,you can follow all of the fine advice on this site.Best of luck. (BTW,Pizzanapoletana,BillSFNM are experienced cooking with wood fired ovens,among others on here)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 06:23:53 PM »
I still don't have a door for my oven

David,

What do you need the door for? I only use the door when baking bread or for keeping the varmints out when I'm not using the oven. If I close the door during pizza baking, I think it would immediately extinguish the fire.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 06:30:32 PM »
May I remind you to take in consideration the shape and instructions at my post  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1118.msg9910.html#msg9910 as well as in my opinion the Pompeii oven shape from forno bravo is more like a bread oven then a pizza oven, whilst the one I describe is a pizza oven that can also bake wonderful breads....

Give it a look and take everything in consideration before starting the oven. Also consider the best suggested diameters of 105cm, 120cm (optimum), and 130cm.

Ciao

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 07:30:56 PM »
Also consider the best suggested diameters of 105cm, 120cm (optimum), and 130cm.

Ciao

Marco I was wondering what you would recommend for fire placement on a bigger than ideal oven?  I was not able to get a hand made Napoletano oven through my city and had to get one that has a ETL listing.   While the dome height and opening size are almost identical to a napoletano oven, the diameter is too big.  It is 145cm.  I was wondering if I should still place the wood against the back wall or move it towards the middle slightly?
With the fire on the back wall, it seems to me much to far for placement of the first pizza??

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 08:17:43 PM »
Hi Edge,
             While I agree with Marcos recommendations,unfortunately when I built my oven I was unable to find specific directions on how a novice like me could actually build an oven?The site I quoted you was for IMO the most informative available.I did however adjust my design somewhat from their directions (hearth size,position of chimney,dome width etc)You are free to adjust the design as you wish.Certain dimensions/ratios are important to understand in the oven design.Maybe Marco will expand on his information ,and advise you of the ideal method of insulation and material,what material to use for the chimney pipe and exact construction methods/dimension et. for his recommended oven design.Unfortunately for those of us limited to the English language,trying to find out specifics for building an authentic Neapolitan oven is somewhat difficult and seems shrouded in secrecy!Indeed it may even be beyond an amateur like me and I believe there are only a handfull of truly capable builders out there today.If you check this forum, I think it has been said that even  ovens built in Italy have had to be demolished as they did not perform as desired. The only other thing I would say is to put a lot of thought into it before you lay a brick.Persevere and have fun.You will find lots of opinions out there and will have to sort through them and decide what you want,are capable of,and materials/information available to you.Marco is a knowledgable source.Someone like me needs a specific step by step-"paint by numbers" almost guide.I had never laid a brick before,but am currently satisfied with what I've achieved.Good luck
                               David

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 01:06:23 PM »
Hi David thanks for the advice i will take it slow i have been in the building trade for 35 years i can not see any problems with building the oven i would just like to find a set of drawings. failing that i will do the best with the Forno site and whatever help i can get from the other members. i am going to adjust the dome as  Marco suggested . Just need to order the bricks next week and get started.

Offline David

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 03:24:45 PM »
Great.keep us posted on your progress...........