Author Topic: My Mini 26" WFO In Process  (Read 7151 times)

Offline nkozak

Re: My Mini 26" WFO In Process
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
So I fired some pizzas today. It took about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I noticed the top was cooking perfectly, but the bottom wasn't getting the char spots like the top. I haven't gotten my infrared thermometer yet, so I'm not sure about temperature yet, but overall, I think it cooks nicely. I probably have to preheat it a little longer for the floor to balance out. Here's some images of my best looking pie that came out of it. They had a slight crisp on the outside and soft and tender inside. I think it was very close to perfect. Those are kalamatas on a margherita pizza. My own sauce and my own dough. I also made a straight margherita and a white clam pizza too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:39:40 PM by nkozak »
Nick

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
Nick,

That sure is a nice looking pizza that came out of your Mini WFO!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline DaveInWesterville

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »
Great looking oven and great looking pie.

What temperatures (dome, hearth) are you trying to achieve?

Do you have any pictures of your oven in action? Pictures of your oven during construction?

How long did you preheat the oven, and how much wood did you use?

Dave

Offline nkozak

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »
Great looking oven and great looking pie.

What temperatures (dome, hearth) are you trying to achieve?

Do you have any pictures of your oven in action? Pictures of your oven during construction?

How long did you preheat the oven, and how much wood did you use?

Dave

Thanks Dave. I haven't gotten a infrared thermometer yet, but I started cooking when the dome was white. I probably used 5 or 6 split logs, but I split them again so they are skinnier. I preheated for about 45 minutes, but should have gone for an hour and I don't think I expanded the fire out before I moved it to the side. I was also using a kiln shelf on the floor, but it has fluted tunnels through it, which I think may keep it from holding heat. I'm going to try again this weekend without the kiln shelf and a longer preheat. I'm pretty sure I can get a good cook in under 2 minutes this time. I've been reading a lot of things that I didn't do, so next time will be awesome.

Sorry I don't have any pics when it was being built.
Nick

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »
Looks good, I like the oven and the end results are nice but is that raw flour on the peel when you're pulling it out or just the camera making it look whiter than it is?   

Offline nkozak

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
Looks good, I like the oven and the end results are nice but is that raw flour on the peel when you're pulling it out or just the camera making it look whiter than it is?   

That's leftover semolina on the peel from when I shoved it in the oven. I didn't sweep it off the peel since I kept shoving more pizzas in. I like to use semolina instead of cornmeal, since it falls off the crust easier and is not as unnaturally crunchy.
Nick

Offline nkozak

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
So I fired it up again yesterday and had much better results. I removed the kiln shelf and the floor held the heat much better and I felt that I got a much more even cook. I tried a 12" pie and that proved to be difficult and too big for this oven and I shouldn't exceed 10" from now on. It cooked in under 2 minutes, so I'm assuming the oven was at least 800 degrees. I need to invest in a turning peel since I'm using a grill spatula right now and almost burning my face off.

The pie shown was made with a 63% hydration neapolitan dough that I made with a poolish starter. It got pretty even leoparding throughout the pie. It is fig, prosciutto, arugula.
Nick

Offline AgPie

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
great pie !!!!
dont you think 10" will be too little for the effort ?

Offline nkozak

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
great pie !!!!
dont you think 10" will be too little for the effort ?

I'll just have to make more of them ;D The oven is only 21" interior and the fire takes up about 8" unless I can figure out how to make some sort of barrier to shove the fire behind.
Nick

Offline nkozak

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
I think I finally got the hang of things with the oven. I have gotten good top/bottom heat distribution and have been managing the space of the oven more efficiently. I am now able to consistently make 10" pies in 90 seconds with even cooking. I bumped my hydration up to 65-67% and am really happy with it.

The first pic is a margherita. My basil plant was starting to get picked clean, so I didn't use as much basil as usual.

The second pic is spinach, feta, kalamata, tomato, red onion, and garlic. You can see how thin it is and the air pockets in the cornicione as well as the underside leoparding.
Nick

Offline Morgan

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
Very nice looking setup, are you still using it ?

Offline nkozak

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
I am getting ready to start using it again. I got lazy this winter, but i am thinking about making a real brick oven this summer. Thinking about 36" interior space.
Nick

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 09:33:35 PM »
36" is very nice size. That will make an oven that will allow you to grow your skills with.
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline pieguy914

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »
I am getting ready to start using it again. I got lazy this winter, but i am thinking about making a real brick oven this summer. Thinking about 36" interior space.
Any chance you would want to make another one and sell it orngive me a step by step on how to make something similar?  I am looking to get/make one of these asap. Thx.

Offline dave s

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • daves pizza ovens
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »
Nice work,you might be advised to strengthen the stand. That's a lot more weight on top than the stand was originally designed for and you have a high centre of gravity. If you do another one use stainless steel needles for reinforcing in the castable rather than chicken wire. Zinc melts at around 400C and the wire may rust and therefore encourage delamination. The stainless needles get distributed throughout the castable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:26:19 PM by dave s »
Fired with passion and kindled with zeal