Author Topic: Steel Plate expansion issues for oven fitment  (Read 691 times)

Offline Born2Bake

Steel Plate expansion issues for oven fitment
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
I am ready to purchase my steel plate after hunting down all of the local suppliers. I want to get an exact fit for the sides of the plate so that I DO NOT have to use the rack for support. I want the plate to slide into the rails the OEM rack slides into on the sides of the oven.

My oven is 18x23 with 23" being the width of the oven. I do not want to get the plate too tight when its cold only to have issues with it expanding too much when its hot and getting stuck. So my question is how much expansion are your 1/2" steel plates expanding when heated? A few millimeters??? Thank you all for your time.

buceriasdon

Re: Steel Plate expansion issues for oven fitment
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
The expansion would be practically unmeasureable. I wouldn't be moving a plate of hot steel in any case.
Don

scott123

Re: Steel Plate expansion issues for oven fitment
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »
Born2Bake, when it comes to sizing baking stones, bigger is always better.  It gives you the option for larger pizzas (which you will end up wanting to do) and it gives you a larger target for smaller ones. In your particular setup, that 18" dimension is pizza gold.  You do NOT want to go smaller than 18".  At the same time, though, an 18 x 23" steel plate will not allow air to flow from bottom to top, which has to happen.  In order to allow for air flow and not jeopardize your 18" potential, the gaps have to happen on the 23" dimension- preferably at least an inch on each side.

Your goal should be an 18" x 18" x 1/2" steel plate. So far, we have yet to run across a member who's shelf couldn't handle the weight of the plate.  Think about the weight of a Thanksgiving turkey. If you are feeling especially paranoid, run two flat steel bars from side wall to side wall (resting on the shelf lip) and put the plate on that. Angle iron (or even heavier weight angle aluminum) will also work, as long as it is pretty small and can fit in the opening between the two shelf lips.

pizzapan