Author Topic: DiCarlo and Other New York Metro Area, Cash-and-Carry  (Read 18233 times)

Offline BigSteve

Re: DiCarlo and Other New York Metro Area, Cash-and-Carry
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »
I just scoped out and verified a source of General Mills' All Trumps flour here in Brooklyn.  The place is called Chef's Choice Cash & Carry, located at 1051 Utica Avenue.  They're definitely open to the public and they have Saturday hours too.  The one thing they don't seem to have is a website.

Chef's Choice stocks the bleached and bromated version of All Trumps flour (General Mills item #50111) in 50# bags for $21.25.  They also carry 50# bags of General Mills' Full Strength (#53381) and stone-ground whole wheat flour (#57181).  The Full Strength is $16.95/bag, while the whole wheat sells for $19.69/bag.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »
Geee last time I was down on Maiden Lane ,was sooooo many years ago.......Glad I don't work in the city anymore.........JT

Offline BigSteve

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 01:18:28 AM »

I've also located a potential source of General Mills "All Trumps" flour in Queens, but I still need to see if they'll sell to the public.  The place is called Zahner's Cash and Carry, and it's located about 1 block off the BQE at 6235 30th Ave in Woodside, Queens.  I visited there about two weeks ago but arrived just as they were closing, so I only had enough time to check the flour aisle and see that they carry All Trumps in 50lb bags for under $20.

I made it back to Zahner's Cash & Carry today and noticed something I missed on my first trip -- their exterior sign clearly says "Open to Public," so you shouldn't have any trouble buying there. 

They had All Trumps in stock for $18.95 per 50-pound bag.  They also had another hi-gluten flour in stock: Bay State Millings' "Perfect Diamond" flour.  BSM's website describes it as "Premium-grade high protein spring wheat flour."  Suggested uses include: Buns, hard rolls, deep dish pizza, French and Italian hearth breads, specialty breads.  I didn't think to check if Perfect Diamond is malted, but the label definitely indicated that it's bleached and bromated.  Zahner's has it in 50-pound bags but no price was posted.

I checked their selection of cheeses, tomatoes and pizza sauces but didn't find anything that interested me.  They did have Stanislaus Full Red pizza sauce if you happen to be looking for it, but they only carry it in #10 cans.  It appeared to me that they'll let you break a case (i.e., they had prices posted both for cases and for individual cans), but it would probably be a good idea to ask before cracking open a case to buy a single can.   

If you're thinking about checking them out, here are some directions:  Approaching from Brooklyn, they're located right off exit 43 from the BQE.  Just take a right at the bottom of the exit ramp and their warehouse is down about 1/2 block on the left.  They're open on Saturdays until 1:00 pm.     

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
thanks bigSteve, on the old post.  just checked out zahner's recently, never knew about them and they've been their for yrs.  they have the alltrumps 50lb bromated for about 17.95, and the big cans of stanislaus FullRed and marinara and the 7/11 for 5.95 ea.  No Grande cheese, they have some Bella Rosa low moisture for 2.19 /lb. 

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »
Hi,

I'm very happy to hear that DiCarlo carries pizza making supplies!  I am only about 20 minutes from there.  I went there a few years ago (before I got into pizza making) and bought quite a bit of food but I kind of forgot about it in the meantime.

I'm going to have to make a trip to DiCarlo!   :)  Genie
Happy newbie pizza maker here, still learning!  I use my 22 year old KitchenAid K5SS and am waiting for a brand new Hobart N50.  Recently purchased a "slightly used" one on eBay but it turned out to be a disaster.  Be careful when buying used equipment on eBay. I have learned a good lesson from this.  Also have a Zojirushi bread machine, baking stone, and Super Peel (can't seem to learn to use that the RIGHT way, but working on it).

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »
Genie,

Many of the posts in this thread are quite old and no doubt things have changed at DiCarlo's. So, it would be nice if you can give the forum an update on the kinds of pizza items DiCarlo is now selling to the public on a cash and carry basis.

Peter

Offline trosenberg

• Lifetime Member
  • Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
I still shop there on a regular basis and things seem the same to me.  They are probably the biggest wholesaler of pizza supplies on Long Island & have a wide selection of flour; Caputo, All Trumps, Gen Mills etc but not KA. They carry all the major brands of tomato and cheese products.   The cash & carry store has a wide selection of stuff but the warehouse has thousands of items.   See the website at  http://www.dicarlofood.com/.   They will pull anything from the warehouse to sell to the public if you call a day ahead ahead.  If it is Caputo you are after call ahead as they don't always have it in the store.   Just south of the LIE at exit #63.
Trosenberg

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 09:55:35 PM »
Genie,

Many of the posts in this thread are quite old and no doubt things have changed at DiCarlo's. So, it would be nice if you can give the forum an update on the kinds of pizza items DiCarlo is now selling to the public on a cash and carry basis.

Peter

I'm not sure exactly when I'll get there again (probably soon, though) and I'll take a notepad and pen with me to make a list of what they have.  At my age, I don't count on remembering everything I see!   ::)  Genie
Happy newbie pizza maker here, still learning!  I use my 22 year old KitchenAid K5SS and am waiting for a brand new Hobart N50.  Recently purchased a "slightly used" one on eBay but it turned out to be a disaster.  Be careful when buying used equipment on eBay. I have learned a good lesson from this.  Also have a Zojirushi bread machine, baking stone, and Super Peel (can't seem to learn to use that the RIGHT way, but working on it).