Author Topic: DiCarlo and Other New York Metro Area, Cash-and-Carry  (Read 17488 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
DiCarlo and Other New York Metro Area, Cash-and-Carry
« on: September 22, 2005, 01:14:48 PM »
This morning, in an effort to help one of our members who posted on the Lehmann thread locate a source of Grande mozzarella cheese in the NY metro area, I spoke with employees of DiCarlo Food Service, a Long Island (Holtsville) distributor to the pizza trade. While I was able to determine that they carry the Grande cheese, it is available only by the case (55 pounds). However, I did learn that they carry many other pizza ingredients and brands that are of interest to us as home pizza makers. In addition to Grande, they include Escalon, Stanislaus, All Trumps, and Caputo. Rather than linking to the Lehmann post, I have cut and pasted below (with a bit of editing) the pertinent details of my phone call for the benefit of those of our members who happen to live in the NY metro area and are looking for a cash-and-carry source of good pizza ingredients.

This morning I called a food distributor, DiCarlo Food Service, an independent food distributor who services the NY metro area. They carry a lot of pizza ingredients and are located in Holtsville, NY, which I understand is in Long Island. They even have a website, at http://www.dicarlofood.com/.  When I called this morning, I was told that they have a cash-and-carry store next to their main facility, where individuals can purchase from among the items carried in the store. They do not carry everything listed at their website, only the most popular items. The store is open Monday through Saturday, from 8 AM to 5 PM. They take no checks but will take Visa and Master Charge for purchases in excess of $25. I was told that one should call them, at 631-758-6000, ext. 350, to inquire as to any particular product(s) and availability, and make any necessary pre-arrangements for pickup.

I spoke mostly to Gabe in the store. He told me that they do carry the Grande cheese, but only by the case, which constitutes several "bricks" weighing a total of 55 pounds. When I asked him if he could help me find a source of the cheese in smaller quantity, he suggested inquiring in local pizzerias that use the Grande and try to prevail upon them to sell in small amounts. He also indicated that they carry a DiCarlo whole-milk mozzarella cheese that they will sell in smaller amounts. I suspect this is the type of cheese they sell to pizza operators who do not wish to pay premium prices for Grande, especially when there are any number of local sources of mozzarella cheeses of acceptable quality with better pricing.

I was also interested to learn from Gabe that the store carries many other pizza ingredients and brands of interest to us as home pizza makers. They include the Escalon tomatoes (including 6-in-1s), and a good part of the Stanislaus line of tomatoes (7/11, Alta Cucina, etc.). These are sold by the can (#10) or by the case. They do not carry any DOP San Marzano tomatoes in the store but do carry a more generic San Marzano canned tomato. (The DiCarlo website, however, shows that they carry the Vantia DOP SMs; maybe they will sell it if specifically requested).

DiCarlo's also carries the Hormel brand pepperoni and their own house brand in sliced form in a 10-pound bag. When I asked about flours, I was told that they carry the All Trumps flour (a good high-gluten flour for use in the Lehmann or any other NY style dough recipe) and also the Caputo 00 flour. When I inquired whether the Caputo flour was in the 25 kilo bag (55 pounds), he said that it was in one-kilo bags with a blue label. I believe this is not the same Caputo 00 flour most of us have been using at this forum, but rather another "blue label" 00 Caputo flour that I have heard is being tested in the U.S. and is more like all-purpose flour. But don't quote me on that, since I may not have it right.

I did not inquire as to pricing. At this point I was just trying to scope out the operation to see if they have or do anything that might be of benefit to our members who live in the NY area and are looking for the best pizza ingredients. From what I can see at this point, it looks like one could make a killer Lehmann or other NY style pie with just the ingredients from DiCarlo's. For those who are interested, my best advice is to call DiCarlo's and see what they have to offer and double check on all the groundrules relating to cash-and-carry purchase from them. It might also be useful to inquire whether they will sell stuff shown on their website but not carried in the store.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 01:28:34 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: DiCarlo Food Service--New York Metro Area, Cash-and-Carry
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 02:04:26 PM »
Ferraro foods is another source for Grande, Poly-O, Stanislaus, Escalon, etc. and about 20 minutes into new jersey from NY. Unfortunately I don't think they sell Caputo flour.  I had a similar conversation with them as yours Peter, and they are happy to sell cash and carry in relatively small amounts.  They also have a budget brand of cheese called country brand that is really good.  I discovered them when I was taste testing a bunch of pizzerias in the NY/NJ area, and I loved a pizzeria that was kind enough to tell me that they were using country brand whole milk mozzarella.

http://www.ferrarofoods.com/ITEM_LIST_WEB.htm

Also, the Di Carlo brand cheese that they sell at Di Carlo Food Service is definitely a re-branded product made by someone like Empire,Saputo, Sorrento etc.  Just ask the salesperson and they are usually quite happy to tell you who makes their "store brand" cheese.  I have found quite a few wholesalers around Boston who sell a really amazing re-branded cheese like this.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:22:22 PM »
scott,

I actually called DiCarlo because I know they are a stocking distributor of the Caputo 00 flour. I also thought that they might be a supplier to DiFara's because of the Caputo 00 flour, but also because of the Grande cheese, Vantia DOP tomatoes (in the online catalog only), and All Trumps flour. I couldn't confirm any connection between DiCarlo and DiFara's, but if they do supply DiFara's it seems to make sense to buy as much of the pizza ingredients you will need from one source.

I also called Dairyland, a stocking distributor of the Caputo 00 flour, and better known by its website name chefswarehouse (at http://www.chefswarehouse.com). They will also do cash-and-carry for anything that is listed on their website, or so I was told. They carry certain of the well-known brands, such as Polly-O (which I was told was available but is not on the website), Calabro and Belgioso mozzarella cheeses, and All Trumps flour, but I didn't see any tomatoes or pepperoni at the website. For those who may be looking for a good flour for making Chicago-style deep-dish doughs, Dairyland carries the Hecker brand of flour, which I believe is the same as or nearly the same as the Ceresota all-pupose flour that Buzz uses for his deep-dish work.

Dairyland is located at 1300 Viele Ave., Bronx, NY 10474. I was told that if anyone wants to buy from them and pick up the merchandise at their warehouse at the abovementioned address, with cash in hand, then it might be a good idea to call Peter Pappas, at 718-842-8700, ext. 306, to make arrangements for the pickup. It should be noted, as with DiCarlo, that many of the products sold by Dairyland come in the larger sizes. So one should check out the website to see what those sizes actually are.

Peter

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 12:04:47 AM »
This morning I called a food distributor, DiCarlo Food Service, an independent food distributor who services the NY metro area. They carry a lot of pizza ingredients and are located in Holtsville, NY, which I understand is in Long Island. They even have a website, at http://www.dicarlofood.com/.  When I called this morning, I was told that they have a cash-and-carry store next to their main facility, where individuals can purchase from among the items carried in the store. They do not carry everything listed at their website, only the most popular items. The store is open Monday through Saturday, from 8 AM to 5 PM. They take no checks but will take Visa and Master Charge for purchases in excess of $25. I was told that one should call them, at 631-758-6000, ext. 350, to inquire as to any particular product(s) and availability, and make any necessary pre-arrangements for pickup.

Pete, been meaning to acknowlege you for taking the time out to do this... it reads like you've 'known' of DiCarlo... I'd never heard of it...
55lbs is a lot even though I looove Moz.  I'm also in Bklyn... I can get to Manhattan and Bklyn only since I don't have a car, and bet. these two boroughs I've got to be able to find something closer than L.I.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 12:51:40 AM »
abc,

I was aware of DiCarlo because they are on the list of distributors of the Caputo 00 flour in the NYC metro area. A Google search led me to their website where I saw the full product list. It wasn't until I called them that I learned that they have a store through which they sell to the public. Absent a car, your best bet may be to try to find a local pizzeria that uses the Grande. You might talk to Dom DeMarco at DiFara's if you are in Brooklyn. My recollection is that he uses the Grande whole-milk mozzarella cheese, and may be willing to sell you some. Or he might be able to lead you to someone else who will sell to you. You might also consider someone like PennMac, in Pittsburgh. There are shipping charges involved, of course, but their base prices appear to be reasonable: see http://www.pennmac.com/page/27 for some of their pizza ingredients. If you call PennMac, ask for Rose. She is a member of the forum and has helped many of our members with their pizza ingredient needs.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 04:39:43 PM »
In my opening post on this thread, I indicated that DiCarlo's sells a Caputo 00 flour in a small (1 kilo) bag in its store near the main facility. Through email exchanges with the importer today, I confirmed that the 1 kilo bag of Caputo flour is not the same as the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour. The flour sold in the 1 kilo bag is called Caputo 00 Extra, and is, indeed, more like an all purpose flour as I previously indicated. The Extra has a protein level about 1% lower than the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour. It is a different wheat blend and will work for making pizzas but I am told that the crust is likely to have a more breadlike characteristic.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 03:17:38 PM »
Today, I found a link to DairylandUSA, an affiliate of chefswarehouse, with its own webpage at http://www.dairylandusa.com/Catalog/Product.aspx?Cat=BAKE&PTypId=FLOU&PCatId=A2&Page=2. I mention this because the dairylandusa website offers several flours, including the Caputo "red" and the Caputo 00 Extra, that are not on the chefswarehouse website. In an earlier post, I reported that it was possible for one to pick up items on a cash-and-carry basis at their facilities in the Bronx. If a member in the NY metro area is interested in doing this, I would call Peter Pappas at Dairyland (718-842-8700, ext. 306) to confirm availability of any flour or other products and make arrangements for pickup, etc.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 07:50:51 PM »
Caputo "red" and the Caputo 00 Extra, that are not on the chefswarehouse website.

Peter,

I have ordered directly from Dairyland. Since I don't have an account, they shipped COD. That was a few years ago so their policy for individuals may have changed. Dairyland prices are definitely less expensive than chefswarehouse.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: DiCarlo and Other New York Metro Area, Cash-and-Carry
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 01:37:41 PM »
Today I spoke with a fellow at Coluccio's, a distributor of Italian food products located in Brooklyn that also happens to do a cash and carry business. They carry 00 flour (but not the Caputo brand) as well as San Marzano DOP tomatoes, including their own brand, and also olive oils, also including their own brand, which I have tried and liked very much. For those who are interested, they are located at 1214-20 60th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11219. Phone: 718.436.6700. The fellow I spoke to when I called is Joe. I would call in advance to see what brands of products they carry and/or price. I was told they will ship, using UPS.

Peter

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 01:11:19 AM »
ah Coluccios... they opened up about 10yrs ago behind that Pathmark.  They almost seem to be in a odd place now with the area have been abandoned by the Italian population by the mid 90's.  This was the place I bought a big block of Pollyo Low Moisture cheese yrs ago.  Haven't shopped here in a while but they definitely have a retail store w/ a meat/cheese counter.

Offline naP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 11:44:03 AM »
DiCarlo doesnt sell caputo pizzeria flour in the cash and carry  :-\ anyone know of any new places ?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 02:26:32 PM »
nAP,

What size bag of the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour are you looking for?

Peter

Offline naP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 11:26:27 PM »
Hi pete-zza :) i was looking for the 50 pound bag.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 07:17:39 AM »
nAP,

Did you take a look at Replies 2 and 6 above in this thread? As noted there, there may be a way of getting the large bag of Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour (BTW, it weighs 55 pounds, not 50) on a cash-and-carry basis if you speak to Mr. Pappas at Dairyland/chefswarehouse in the Bronx. You can also order the flour online at chefswarehouse.com, although there will be shipping charges.

Peter

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:23 PM »
I was @ DiCarlo today

They do carry Grande cheese but they DON'T carry the East Coast blend.

DiCarlo has the #10 can of 6 in 1 for $3.95 a can and a little less for the case

Restaurant Depot has 6 in 1 for $4.70 for the #10 can but you need to be a business to get in

I found JKINGS in Holtsville NY about 2 miles from Dicarlo. They Carry Grande but I am not sure about the East Coast blend. I don't see it on their website. Jkings.com

I went to Jkings today. They do sell to the public but I was late. The Cash & Carry store is open 7am to 3pm.

I will be back there next week to see if they have Grande WCB

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:50:48 PM by Shotgun682 »

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 06:04:43 AM »
Shotgun 682, I guess we must be neighbors.
 I pick up stuff at DiCarlo all the time.  For anyone else who is interested their cash and carry store has a lot of great stuff but not everything on their website is in the store. For example Caputo flour is not in the store.  If you call the day before they will pull it fror the warehouse and have it ready in the store for you.  Excellent selection of canned tomato products.
Trosenberg

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »
Did you know JKINGS on Furrows rd. has a Cash and Carry? 7am to 3pm

I am looking for the Grande east coast blend but have not found it yet

Inter-county Bakers in Lindenhurst has KASL and there is a good chance they will sell to the public

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »
Geeeee I did not know Grande Eaast coast Blend was that hard to get in DICED....
A few weeks back I call the warehouse where I buy my grande from..
The day before I was going I wanted to know that they had the east coast DICED blend in...
They had only the Grande East coast SHREDDED blend in...
But they ordered me a case and was able to pick it up the week after....
I was glad I still had a 1/4 of a bag left to get me though the week....
The say that they don't get much call for  the Diced blend but they do get many for the shredded blend.
They even told me that since the east coast blend is still kinda new,,many don't know that the chesse comes in diced.
I was going to buy the Shredded blend if they didnot get the diced in,,,wonder if it makes a big differance?
The cases are 30 pounds and comes with Six 5lb bags that you can frezze...
I thought the $86 I paid for the case is welll worth it.
I get mine from BOVA in Pa. are and 45 mins from NJ...
They have a cash and carry area also,,,Lots of differant sauces and everything you would ever need and even ovens lol.
Last time I bought a Pizza was 9 months ago....
I buy my Frozen Dough from Walmarts thats made in NY at $1.12 per dough ball,,,I think I bought 26 dough balls the last time I was there,I bought them all...
Because the last time I needed dough balls they only had 1 left and I feel they will not go to waste.
I would feel kind of funny walking into a place that sells pizza and asking the guy to sell you some chesse,,,to me
I would not do that,,,I felt funny wanted to buy a dough ball once and they refuced to sell me one.....JT
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:13:10 PM by johnnytuinals »

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 05:10:44 AM »
Shotgun 682, I have been by J Kings & seen their truck a million times but never gone in.  Do they have good stuff? As far as KASL, I have never seen in locally so let me know.  I did buy a bag of All Trumps from DiCarlo but after reading all the controversy on bromated flour on this site I stopped using it.
Trosenberg

Offline BigSteve

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 02:10:14 AM »
I stumbled upon a source of Caputo 00 flour today.  The grocery store Zeytuna at 59 Maiden Lane in Manhattan sells 1kg. bags of Caputo's 00 "The Chef's Flour" (i.e., the stuff in a red bag) for $3.49. 

I've also located a potential source of General Mills "All Trumps" flour in Queens, but I still need to see if they'll sell to the public.  The place is called Zahner's Cash and Carry, and it's located about 1 block off the BQE at 6235 30th Ave in Woodside, Queens.  I visited there about two weeks ago but arrived just as they were closing, so I only had enough time to check the flour aisle and see that they carry All Trumps in 50lb bags for under $20.