Author Topic: Small portable WFO's  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
Re: Small portable WFO's
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
What about something like this?

http://www.roundboyovens.com/

There is a guy in Ohio that has one on a trailor and he sells neopolitain pizzas at events so it must have the ability to reliably pump out good pizzas. There are some you tube videos of it cooking.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 04:10:57 PM »

There is a guy in Ohio that has one on a trailor and he sells neopolitain pizzas at events so it must have the ability to reliably pump out good pizzas. There are some you tube videos of it cooking.

Instantly put off by the website, "Simply put, Roundboy Outdoor Ovens are the best wood fired ovens made"

ok...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Instantly put off by the website, "Simply put, Roundboy Outdoor Ovens are the best wood fired ovens made"

ok...

That is pretty bold given the competition.
Pizza is not bread.

Online scott123

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »

Terracotta has no place in a WFO. Even if you avoid the terracotta models, you're still talking about inner dimensions that aren't appropriate for pizza.

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 06:46:32 AM »
Terracotta has no place in a WFO. Even if you avoid the terracotta models, you're still talking about inner dimensions that aren't appropriate for pizza.

It is made of refractory cement. Terracotta is just an available color. The size is what is holding me off as well. The inside is only 28" by 28"

Online scott123

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 07:13:08 AM »
Thanks, I missed that. The inner dimensions are still off, though, imo.

Also, a LOT can go wrong when casting refractory.  If you're going that route, it's best to choose companies with the longest track record possible.

Offline toddster63

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
Kermit, I searched for a few years for a nice portable, affordably priced WFO... I just never found it. And when I did find something that qualified (BEEHIVE oven), the pies coming out of them were not what was in my game plan. I think it's really, really hard to downscale a WFO...

I ended up making a LBE, and just love it. You have to tinker and tune the LBE in (I raised my stone high into the dome, and installed a air foil/air director to redirect the hot air back down over the pies), but I can make Caputo pies on a 850F stone (with comparable air temps) in under two minutes and they have nice leopardizing (and no white inner rim as is common with most LBE baked pies) and are wonderful, spongy and delicious. I've had a few WFO pizzerias (all over here in Northern California) that are better, but honestly, my LBE pies are much better than most WFO pizzerias here in Northern California. Most of my pies aren't quite true Neo, as in Naples (ie. 60 second pies with pale crusts and perfect leopardizing), but they equal elite east coast coal pizzas for sure, and if I get it up over 900F they are close to Naples .

At these temps in the LBE, I do have to stick a screen under the pie after 60 seconds, or the bottom burns, but I don't consider this that big of a drawback—and I've seen many a pizziaolo at their WFO moving pies around or lifting to the dome—as they too have to watch the bottom crust at these temps.

Best $150 I've ever spent and I highly recommend making a LBE for a truly portable and versatile portable high temp pizza oven. For a while I thought they were a half-ass WFO alternative for a tight budget, but after living with one, and seeing pies by LBE bakers like Chau, I think they need to be taken more seriously...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:15:19 PM by toddster63 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
Did a little looking and checking on this brand a ways back when I found out my new mobile competition was recommending them on their site. . I have since been to their new brick and mortar location and understand why they think this is a good oven. For me personally no way I would spend that on such an oven. I am not a hardcore fan of forgo bravo either but would prefer the p 70 or 1 of  their newer offerings over this any given day
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »

ok...

funny, I checked the website out and it now says "Simply put, Roundboy Ovens are the best value in wood-fired ovens today." I wonder if i'm just seeing something else or if they actually changed their website verbiage due to a posting on this forum? oh, the power pizzamaking.com can have on the world!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer