Author Topic: KETTLE PIZZA GRILL VIDEO DEMONSTRATION  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Elijahdavid912

KETTLE PIZZA GRILL VIDEO DEMONSTRATION
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
here is a link on youtube to a video that i made. It demonstrates the KPG BAKING NEAPOLITAN PIZZA.

HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5tQ4kZa4s&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5tQ4kZa4s&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: KETTLE PIZZA GRILL VIDEO DEMONSTRATION
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »
Very nicely done video Elijah, although it did seem a bit like an advertisment for the company.  Just curious if you are affiliated with the company in any way. 

I also clocked that pie at around 3m10s, easily achieveable in the LBE even with opening the lid to turn the pie and not requiring charcoal or wood. 

Any chance you can show a video of a 60-90 second pie?  Even sub 2 minutes is a big achievement.  I have read that some of the LBE guys are doing 90 seconds in theirs, but I myself have only gotten around the 2 minute mark. 

Chau

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »
Is that a piece of cedar?? It sure looks like it, and the way you palm it easily...it looks light in your hand. At 4:46, you mention it was 3 1/2 to 4 minutes since the wood has been burning. That log is throwing off some decent flames. A soft wood like cedar will easily do that.

BTW, that's an aluminum peel, not stainless.

I tested the KPG with charcoal and wood...I'll stick with my LBE.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
To my eyes the bottom looked somwhat overcharred, so perhaps you could show us a bottom shot.
Don

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
To my eyes the bottom looked somwhat overcharred, so perhaps you could show us a bottom shot.
Don

I thought so too at first, but when he lifted it, the bottom of the pie looked OK, I think it was just the outer ring that got over-charred where it was closest to the flame.

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:17:13 AM »
Elijah, it's a very professional looking video, and I applaud your excitement, but, I think, as others have hinted, there may be a flaw with this technique.

The position of the charcoal and the wood puts the heat source under the edge of the stone.  This gives you a superheated edge.  That edge is going to cook the outer portion of the pizza that makes contact with it a lot faster, so, to achieve good color on the rim and center portion of the undercrust, you're going to get exterior undercrust sections that are way too dark.

You might be able to mitigate this slightly by pushing the stone as far from the fire as possible, but I don't think you'll solve it completely. If it were me, I might hang a strip of steel flashing under the edge to try to deflect some of the intense heat.

You might want to think about stretching the dough a bit more thinner/evenly. Besides being a bit more authentic, a smaller thickness factor will dial back your bake time a bit.  Also, I'd invest in a turning peel.  Removing the pizza from the oven to turn it is extending your bake clock.

Lastly, as you lower the hydration, you do accelerate leoparding, but, at the same time, you risk sacrificing the texture of the crumb if you lower the hydration too aggressively. 53%, is, imo, a little too aggressive, and, although you might find it in a pizzeria somewhere, you're not going to find anyone going that low here. If you're really going to test this device fairly, you should be working in a traditional hydration realm- 58-62.

I know I'm sounding kind of nitpicky, but, in actuality, where I was incredibly skeptical of this device before, I'm a bit more optimistic.  There's just a few kinks to work out. I want this to be successful. A $200ish (including the price of the grill) WFO analog that can relatively easily produce 90 second pizzas would be a pretty incredible coup.

It's not going to get my blessing quite yet, though ;)

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »
Dude, I don't care what you say, you're in on this some how.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 05:32:44 PM »
Dude, I don't care what you say, you're in on this some how.

In on . . . ?

pizzapan