Author Topic: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One  (Read 243085 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One
« Reply #640 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
Here is a pizza from the 3 fold dough.  It looks pretty good on the outside.  Took longer than normal to bake.....and it is not as tender as other doughs I've made.  I'd call this a failure.
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #641 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
The 4 fold dough is even worse.  Looks good externally...but this guy is tough!!   Huge failure here.

It looks to me that for my uses, I will use the 2 fold method when making cracker doughs at home.
John

Offline wsonner

« Reply #642 on: February 20, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
They look freakin' good to ME! :-)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #643 on: February 20, 2014, 11:15:56 PM »
You know as well as I.....looks don't tell the whole story?!
John

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #644 on: February 21, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »

Yes they do.  ;)  :-D

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #645 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »
Yes they do.  ;)  :-D

-ME
I want a remake!!  :-D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #646 on: February 21, 2014, 08:38:59 PM »
John

I'm not familiar with the stretch and fold your referring to. (I'm so behind on everything thats gone on around here for the past 2 years  ::) [size=78%] Is there a thread you can point me to or would you describe it for me.[/size]
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #647 on: February 21, 2014, 11:23:26 PM »

I'm not familiar with the stretch and fold your referring to. (I'm so behind on everything thats gone on around here for the past 2 years  ::) [size=78%] Is there a thread you can point me to or would you describe it for me.[/size]
Lydia
It was your video that reminded me of the stretch and fold....I hadn't considered it for a cracker dough!!!  So, thank you!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29760.msg300814#msg300814

John

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #648 on: February 23, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
Lydia
It was your video that reminded me of the stretch and fold....I hadn't considered it for a cracker dough!!!  So, thank you!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29760.msg300814#msg300814

John
Ok, so does this mean we're going to see something new(again,as always 8)) out of the famous Fazzari camp?  :)

Bob

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #649 on: February 25, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »
Ok, so does this mean we're going to see something new(again,as always 8)) out of the famous Fazzari camp?  :)

The learning never ends Bob!...thank God for that cuz it keeps life interesting.  I just finished an experiment using the stretch and folds on a low hydrated dough, and using my new sheeting method......wrote it up in the cracker crust section.  I ate some amazing pizza today.
John

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #650 on: February 25, 2014, 12:51:14 AM »
The learning never ends Bob!...thank God for that cuz it keeps life interesting.  I just finished an experiment using the stretch and folds on a low hydrated dough, and using my new sheeting method......wrote it up in the cracker crust section.  I ate some amazing pizza today.
John
Great man...good luck with that!!  :chef:

I currently have an old skool Fazzari dough formula with his modernized stretch and fold twist to it.....will be 5 days young tomorrow night when I blaze her on the BS.  :)
Thanks John....film at 11.

Bob

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #651 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Today, I finally got a chance to eat a Round Table Pizza.  I drove over to the Tri Cities in Washington State to visit family and to eat at new pizza joint there, and on my way out of town, I stopped at the RT in Kennewick.  I ordered a small anchovy pizza (I got to hear the employees fight about who had to put the anchovies on).  Anyway, they docked the dough before assembling, placed on some kind of screen and ran it through the conveyor.  The flavors of the toppings were just fine.  The crust left alot to be desired.  In fairness, this is just one pizza, but if this is representative of what they put out...I'd say it's mediocre at best.  You can see for yourself, there is very little oven spring action in the cross section and the bottom is very light in comparison to the darkness of the top.  There is no crispness at all....but then again I don't know if it's designed that way.

I have to wonder and maybe this is way off base.....alot of pizzas are baked in conveyor ovens now days.  This takes alot of pressure off having to have great oven tenders.  Could it be that not all types of pizzas are baked up best in conveyors.  I know the texture of the RT clones I have baked on my decks or even at home are hands down way better than what I had today.  Any thoughts.

I don't want to leave the impression that this pizza was bad...it wasn't...but it was far from memorable, and at this stage of my life, I'll save my calories for the great stuff!!

John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:45:16 PM by fazzari »

Offline wsonner

« Reply #652 on: April 02, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
I can say unequivocally that this is NOT representative of their pizza. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #653 on: April 02, 2014, 11:43:49 PM »
Wow... you have the patience of Job.
That would have probably ended up being yet another place that couldn't handle the truth and "barred" me.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:31:01 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #654 on: April 02, 2014, 11:45:52 PM »
Wow... you have the patience of Job.
That would have probably ended up being yet another place that couldn't handle the truth and "bared" me.  :-\
Thanks for that.....I just didn't know what to think.  I'll definitely try it again sometime>

John

Offline wsonner

« Reply #655 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:32 AM »
Thanks for that.....I just didn't know what to think.  I'll definitely try it again sometime>

John

Come to my pad, I'll make a Round Table Pizza for ya  :-D.  My wife is a high school teacher here in NH and I occasionally will make pizza and take it in for her kids.  She has a kid in there now from CA and last pizza day he spontaneously said, "This pizza tastes just like Round Table!"  My work here is done :-).

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #656 on: April 03, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »
Wes,

There is perhaps no one more anal than I when it comes to seeking perfection in the numbers, even when I know that it may be a fool's errand, but the reality is that most dough formulations can tolerate reasonable changes in the amounts of ingredients. So, for example, when a dough formulation calls for, say, 5% oil, using 4% or 5% oil is not likely to be detectable by the average eater. Also, different people have different taste tolerances to things like salt, sugar and oil and especially salt and sugar. What is as important in my opinion as the amounts of ingredients is the thickness of the crust in relation to the pizza size (which is something that I often struggle with when I have never tried the pizza I am trying to replicate), and also the overall look and feel of the pizza. So, if you are going to mimic a pizza like the Round Table pizza, for the full experience ideally you want your clone to look like a Round Table pizza. The photo of the Round Table pizza that John posted doesn't look like the photos that I used to see of the Round Table pizzas of old, that is, before the bankruptcy filing.

Peter

Offline wsonner

« Reply #657 on: April 03, 2014, 08:35:58 AM »
Wes,

There is perhaps no one more anal than I when it comes to seeking perfection in the numbers, even when I know that it may be a fool's errand, but the reality is that most dough formulations can tolerate reasonable changes in the amounts of ingredients. So, for example, when a dough formulation calls for, say, 5% oil, using 4% or 5% oil is not likely to be detectable by the average eater. Also, different people have different taste tolerances to things like salt, sugar and oil and especially salt and sugar. What is as important in my opinion as the amounts of ingredients is the thickness of the crust in relation to the pizza size (which is something that I often struggle with when I have never tried the pizza I am trying to replicate), and also the overall look and feel of the pizza. So, if you are going to mimic a pizza like the Round Table pizza, for the full experience ideally you want your clone to look like a Round Table pizza. The photo of the Round Table pizza that John posted doesn't look like the photos that I used to see of the Round Table pizzas of old, that is, before the bankruptcy filing.

Peter

Agreed completely. The crumb looks like bread, very unlike RT's laminated crust.

Offline wsonner

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #659 on: April 03, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
Looks like Beavis got ahold of the docker for this one.