Author Topic: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One  (Read 240834 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One
« Reply #560 on: December 04, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Lydia,

Tom Lehmann discusses the same idea of having unincorporated flour in the mixer bowl for the cracker style, as he notes at Reply 11 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15155.msg152943.html#msg152943.

Peter

Thank you Peter, yes this is exactly what I'm referring to. Dave's article was his FAQ was about 12 years ago. Yikes  ::) It was pretty thorough with plenty of helpful tips on dough management but when I found it it was a bit over my head.  :-\  This was the first time I had heard the term "scrappy" dough".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:42:35 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #561 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »
Lydia:

Thanks!  As always, I give full credit where credit is due and I have immensely appreciated your time, efforts, and explanations of creating the home RT clone.  It has been like manna from heaven for us. ;D

Peter and Lydia: I agree about having unincorporated flour in the initial dough ball/mass.   :chef:

Dan:

Generally speaking I am very weary and skeptical of conveyor pizza ovens.  However, I have been to a few pizza restaurants that have used conveyor ovens and been quite pleased.  In fact, one of my local favorite pizza places uses a conveyor oven to quite good effect: http://www.mafiamikespizzaks.com/ 
They do a NY style that is VERY good, imo.  So, they are out there, but depending on which model and what they have the heat set at, the good conveyor oven pizzerias are more the exception than the rule, from my personal experience.  Incidentally, I used the ham bits because they needed to be used, but typically I would've used my old stand-by: Italian sausage.  Also, I have played with Lydia's recipe on occasion and gone down to 48-50% hydration with no major issues.  Basically, you can short the water to a straight 8 oz, or slightly less, and get to a lower hydration.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #562 on: December 10, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »
I tried the Lydia RT clone recipe again this past Sunday.  Same recipe, except I ran out of the Quaker Harina Preparada, so I opted for an alternative: Wal-Mart's flour tortilla mix.  I used the same recipe and 24 refrigerated dough as before.  This time, however, I baked it on a baking stone in my home oven since it was too cold out to be cooking anything on my 2stone.  I also went to my gold standard of Italian sausage (Simeca's) and mushrooms for toppings.  Results were excellent!  See pics below.

One thing I noticed about the Wal-Mart flour tortilla mix: the dough seemed wetter than when I have used the Quaker brand.  Everything came out fine, but in the future I would recommend starting with no greater than 8 ounces of water instead of the 8.4 oz used in the original recipe.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:07:52 PM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #563 on: December 10, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
ME

Thanks again, that was on my "need to do list" as a cheaper alternative. It's good to know that is seems wetter.

You said the results were "great" but did you notice any difference or is it hard to tell since you baked in your home oven?

Did it develop flavor about the  same?

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #564 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
I'm really wanting to try the Mondako flour, but it will have to wait.

I've got another clone in the works.

My hubby knocked over my camera and it's dead  :( I don't want to get any further without pics to reference.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #565 on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
ME

Thanks again, that was on my "need to do list" as a cheaper alternative. It's good to know that is seems wetter.

You said the results were "great" but did you notice any difference or is it hard to tell since you baked in your home oven?

Did it develop flavor about the  same?

Lydia:

Yes, this time the flavor AND the texture were there.  It came out quite well.  I let the stone heat up for 1 hour at 500 degrees in my oven before sliding the pizza on to it.  The differences that I can tell you that come from using my 2stone vs. my home oven are with the 2stone:
1. Cooks quicker (obviously)
2. Crust is more done (browner, darker)
3. More puffiness in the crust.  In fact, I often have to watch it closely because some of the bubbles will get so huge they will rise to the upper stone of the 2stone and stick there, moving the toppings all to the side as it rises.  Cool looking, but from an eating perspective, it's overkill.  
I have noticed both at Shakey's in Anaheim and at a Happy Joe's Pizza in Iowa City (similar style to Shakey's and Round Table) that with conveyor ovens and this type of pizza, there is one employee who watches the pizza through a slot in the conveyor and has a long metal rod which he/she will use to pop any bubbles that appear and get too big as the pizza passes through.  Similarly, I really have to watch it on the 2stone.

I definitely recommend getting a bag of this Great Value stuff and playing around with the amount of water.  It is definitely easier to obtain and cheaper than the Quaker alternative.  Next time I make pizza I will probably be making a deep-dish for my family to provide some variety (plus deep-dish goes well in the winter time), but the next time I try the RT clone, I will cut back to 8 oz of water and go from there.  Perhaps I will convert the English measurements to metric so I have more room to play with in terms of weights.  I had no dry bits or clumps of flour this time, unlike when I normally use your clone recipe.  The dough was quite wet, but I went ahead and it actually came out very well.

-ME
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:09:29 PM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #566 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
ME

How did it roll out?
I'm guessing it was a tab bit easier. When you fold the dough does it seem to stiffen up like the original?

I have had the GV tortilla mix setting and waiting for me. It was literally "next" on my list but got bumped down one. So I'm actually quite glad you did it.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #567 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »
ME

How did it roll out?
I'm guessing it was a tab bit easier. When you fold the dough does it seem to stiffen up like the original?

I have had the GV tortilla mix setting and waiting for me. It was literally "next" on my list but got bumped down one. So I'm actually quite glad you did it.

Lydia:

It rolled out well, but as you might expect it was rather sticky.  I had to use a touch more bench flour on the wooden pie board to keep it from sticking to the board or the metal rolling pin.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #568 on: December 11, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
Lydia:

It rolled out well, but as you might expect it was rather sticky.  I had to use a touch more bench flour on the wooden pie board to keep it from sticking to the board or the metal rolling pin.

-ME

VERY interesting, that seems pretty wet. Hmmm. Sounds like it could take a good bit more flour and still be rollable without a sheeter eh?

Offline air540g

« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2013, 03:32:50 AM »
good.

Offline JasonT

« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
I've looked through about a dozen pages of this thread and I can't find Lydia's RT clone recipe.

Can anyone please direct me to the page the recipe is on?

Very much appreciated.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2013, 08:15:49 PM »
Maybe this will help?.....http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1911.msg46228.html#msg46228

Bob

Yes, that is it.

And Jason, if you can't find the Quaker Harina Preparada (I've had to order it directly from Quaker), the tortilla flour at Wal-Mart should work about as well as the Quaker brand.  Just make sure it is NOT the corn tortilla flour - you want the Great Value Flour Tortilla Mix.  Good luck! :)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline JasonT

« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »
Thx for the help guys.

Really appreciated.

Offline wsonner

« Reply #574 on: March 18, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »
Here's my submission for RT King Arthur Supreme...my favorite pizza on the  planet :-).

Offline wsonner

« Reply #575 on: March 18, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
WAIT!  That's my veggee....HERE is the KAS. Sorry, eheheh.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
Very nice wsonner.  :D

What recipe(s) did you use?

You appear to be far away from an Round Table at your current location.  Going through withdrawal (like me?).  :-D

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline wsonner

« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
Very nice wsonner.  :D

What recipe(s) did you use?

You appear to be far away from an Round Table at your current location.  Going through withdrawal (like me?).  :-D

-ME

This is one of Peter's.  You have to roll it out, letter fold it, then roll it out again.   (at least once).  And use KA All Purpose since it matches the RT ingredients.

Flour                  100.00%
Water            48.00%
Salt                    1.75%
Crisco            1.50%
Sugar            1.00%
NF Dry Milk    1.00%
ADY                    0.50%

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #578 on: March 22, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »
How did it taste?

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline wsonner

« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
How did it taste?

-ME

Well, every weekend I get requests from town for about 20 pies...

pizzapan