Author Topic: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One  (Read 240068 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One
« Reply #580 on: March 22, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
Well, every weekend I get requests from town for about 20 pies...
They are probably wondering when your price increase is coming Wes.   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wsonner

« Reply #581 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
They are probably wondering when your price increase is coming Wes.   :chef:

Funny because I already told them!! :)

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #582 on: April 07, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
So I had the opportunity the past few days to get out of town and visit a nearby Round Table. This is the third time I have done so and the third time I have been sorely dissappointed. Review below.

The RT in this review is located in Spokane Valley, WA off of Sprague Ave. I am no expert critic, but being that I have eaten at over 25 RT locations over the last 2 decades, I do consider myself an afficianado.

Store: The restaurant itself was very big. I was surprised by the size of the place. They had all modern interiors and young waitstaff. (All women from what I could tell.) They had what looked like an "all you can eat" buffet with heat lamps, although the time I was there it was closed. They also had a fairly large salad bar. To my surprise there was also an arcade. They had a pinball, a "claw" amusement and about 3 modern video games. Overall the store had a modern "80s" vibe to it and I enjoyed it very much. It was also quite clean. 

Staff: The staff was very friendly and prompt with my service. Pizza came straight from the oven to my hands, promptly in about 15 minutes or less. To my surprise the staff actually waited on the tables, serving them pizza and getting them drinks. This is something I don't recall from the RT of old, but perhaps my mind is a bit fuzzy on this. The staff functioned like a team and looked like it was overall managed very well.

The product: This is where my experience pretty much deflated. I got my pizza to go and it was piping hot in the car so I could not "sneak a slice" I immediately checked the bottom for texture and crispiness. It was quite soft and showed very little blistering on the bottom. The top looked fantastic, typical RT with puffiness throughout all the way to the rim. My conclusion is the dough was not from a previous ferment, but fairly new dough. When I got back to my hotel (about a 10 minute drive), I immediatly sat down and opened the box to dive into the flavor.

The pizza was super GREASY, SALTY and SPICY. I should mention I ordered a large pepperoni. The grease (obviously from the pepperoni) was litterally dripping off the slice. I actually didn't mind this so much, but it made the soft crust even softer. Next was the salt. I separated out the toppings and found that the salt was coming from the pepperoni. Did they change brands? While my pie was disected, I confirmed the spiciness was from the sauce. Now don't get me wrong, I like a sauce with heat and zest, but this was spicier than eating raw Jalapenos straight. It was so spicy it gave my whole family an upset stomach and they were complaining of heart-burn. I had that feeling somewhat, but not as much as they did. The sauce also was not red, but had an almost brownish look to it. (Sort of like the forum headers! JK Steve!)  Tasting the crust by itself confirmed my suspicions about the dough, it was tasteless and non-fermented. There was no special smell or taste there.

So overall I give the restaurant and staff an A+. The product gets a D. Not a complete failure since we did continue eating it, but just not very enjoyable because of the over-the-top salt and spiciness. Since I don't eat RT often anymore, I am sure some of this is my palate tastes have shifted a bit, but I feel the product has definitely shifted in quality and the taste is suffering. This is the third time I have noticed this from three different locations in the past 3 years, but would like to hear other comments from RT regulars that have visited other stores besides their "go to" store. I know this style and product can vary greatly by location as well, but there seems to be a definite trend with where the franchise is taking the product. Clearly they are still in business and making money, it just isn't the same RT from 10 years ago if you ask me.

Offline UncleJoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #583 on: April 09, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
WAIT!  That's my veggee....HERE is the KAS. Sorry, eheheh.

My God, that looks amazing! Can you post your topping ingredients, by chance?

Offline wsonner

« Reply #584 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »
My God, that looks amazing! Can you post your topping ingredients, by chance?

Sure!

Salami
Pepperoni
Linguica
Italian Sausage (sweet)
Mushrooms (I always use baby bellas)
Green peppers
Black olives
Onions

My favorite pizza.

Offline UncleJoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #585 on: April 10, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
Sure!

Salami
Pepperoni
Linguica
Italian Sausage (sweet)
Mushrooms (I always use baby bellas)
Green peppers
Black olives
Onions

My favorite pizza.

Thanks! Where did you find the linguica? Been struggling with that one.

Offline wsonner

« Reply #586 on: April 10, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »
Thanks! Where did you find the linguica? Been struggling with that one.

They sell it here in the grocery store. 

Offline UncleJoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #587 on: April 10, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »
They sell it here in the grocery store.

Lol no one here at our walmart's even heard of it. They thought it was pig stomach!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #588 on: April 10, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
Lol no one here at our walmart's even heard of it. They thought it was pig stomach!
They think that about everything you ask of them over there Uncle Joe... :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #589 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
I tried the Lydia RT clone recipe again this past Sunday.  Same recipe, except I ran out of the Quaker Harina Preparada, so I opted for an alternative: Wal-Mart's flour tortilla mix.  I used the same recipe and 24 refrigerated dough as before.  This time, however, I baked it on a baking stone in my home oven since it was too cold out to be cooking anything on my 2stone.  I also went to my gold standard of Italian sausage (Simeca's) and mushrooms for toppings.  Results were excellent!  See pics below.

ME

What's your bake protocol for the 2stone and the cheater dough? I tried to find your info here but my eyes glazed over scanning this thread to find out?

First? what is your 2 stone set up? It looks like you typically use a screen? what temps for the stone and bake times? are you using an IR thermometer? are you taking the chamber temps as well? Have you discovered what the max. and min. temps are for this method?
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #590 on: October 09, 2013, 08:53:40 AM »
Regarding linguisa;

For RT you'll want a California produced linguisa for the right flavor. Right now I can't recall any of the brands but the sausage at this link from amazon looks and sounds very close. It's out of San Leanandro, CA so it could actually be "the one"!

http://www.amazon.com/Saags-Linguisa-Sausage-2-5lb-Pkg/dp/B005VIDHHE/?tag=pizzamaking-20
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #591 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
ME

What's your bake protocol for the 2stone and the cheater dough? I tried to find your info here but my eyes glazed over scanning this thread to find out?

First? what is your 2 stone set up? It looks like you typically use a screen? what temps for the stone and bake times? are you using an IR thermometer? are you taking the chamber temps as well? Have you discovered what the max. and min. temps are for this method?

Lydia:

I do not use a screen.  I place the pizza on directly on the bottom stone of the 2stone device.  I only use a screen as a template for making a round pizza of a certain size.  When I first got the 2stone ~5 years ago, I took some IR readings of the bottom stone on my 2stone grill device and it was reading around 625-650 degrees after ~1 hour heating time on a big Kenmore grill with the gas element guards removed and all 5 gauges cranked up to high.  On my home oven, the highest setting is 500 degrees, and so I have not been able to get my pizza stone temperature much above that temp.  The proof of the difference rests in the results.  When I cook an RT clone pizza on my 2stone I get massive bubbling (and I do dock my dough skins every time before I start adding the sauce).  In fact, the bubbles can sometimes get so high, the cheese and top layer will hit the top stone in the device and stick there.  :-D  I get very little, if any, bubbling when I cook the RT clone in my home oven.

I don't know if you have seen this or not, but at some pizza restaurants that make pizza of this type, there will be a cook who uses a long metal rod to pop any bubbles of that size that come up.  I have seen this at a Happy Joe's Pizza in Iowa City (very similar to a Shakey's or Round Table pizza) and at the Shakey's in Oroville, CA (they use the good old deck ovens, not those conveyor contraptions). 

Btw, this past weekend I tried Aimless Ryan's Tommy's pizza recipe. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.msg281349.html#msg281349

It is similar to your RT recipe.  However, his dough is more dry (43%) than your recipe, and he only uses 2 layers instead of 3.  It gave me some ideas that I would like to check out for tweaking your recipe, starting with using less water.  I hope to post some pictures some time soon.  Too much going on right now.

If you have some ideas or tweaks you have tried or want to try for the RT recipe, I would be happy to participate.  Just let me/us know your thoughts. 8)

-ME
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:52:41 AM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #592 on: October 09, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
ME thanks so much, Exactly the info I was needing.

This weekend we had to pick up a camp stove for emergency cooking. (I guess 10-11 days without power is typical around here. Yippy ::)

We settled on The Camp Chef Expedition 3x. It's got some serious BTU's. Then I saw that they just released the Italia Pizza Oven accessory, so of course, I HAD to have it :angel: . We scored it all for a great deal, since it's off-season.

It wont be in until after this weekend, when I can get a better look at it, but it looks pretty promising. (I guess the founder of Camp Chef products is a hard core pizza guy. It has diffuser plates in the bottom of the stove, and still hits 700F in about 20 minutes on Medium setting with air/chamber temps of 850F. I'm anticipating that I will need to preheat slowly and carefully, and we will see whether or not the vents and double walled insulation and low dome height will provide decent upper chamber heat and convection to crisp up the toppings. I may need to draft up an insulation tent or maybe break out a butane torch >:D

If I locate my camera I'll try to post some pics of the oven.

Here's a quick blurb about the oven... PS. Ty Measom is owner and founder of Camp Chef products.

The Camp Chef Pizza Oven
Ty Measom likes pizza so much, he has a large pizza oven in his backyard but since not everyone can afford that, hes created a small portable version.

The Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven was introduced just this spring, I was told by Kent Millecam, Camp Chef vice president. There are two varieties: one sits on a Camp Chef unit, and the other fits on top of 80 percent of standard barbecues.

The oven heats up to 600 degrees, cooking pizzas in just six to eight minutes, Millecam said. The oven can cook homemade pizzas, topped pre-made crusts and even frozen pizzas. It can also be used to cook tender steak, moist salmon and roasted vegetables.

"Its designed to work like a convection oven, Millecam said, so the pizzas cook from the bottom, but the heat circulates up to the top."

This heating method cooks the pizza quickly and evenly, so pizzas get bubbly, brown cheese not seen in grilled pizzas. The authentic pizza stone gives the pizza a nice crust.

If youre serious about cooking pizzas outdoors, the Camp Chef oven is $170.

So, I guess I will be working on non-electric dough methods for the cheater dough. (no food processor, possibly no refrigeration, well unless there's snow ??? . Not really the direction I wanted to go when I finally got settle in my new home, but should prove to be a beneficial journey.

Signed..."still surrounded by moving boxes :-\ "

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #593 on: October 09, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »
Btw, this past weekend I tried Aimless Ryan's Tommy's pizza recipe. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.msg281349.html#msg281349

It is similar to your RT recipe.  However, his dough is more dry (43%) than your recipe, and he only uses 2 layers instead of 3.

Actually, I do 8 layers. I start out by rolling two square dough balls as thin as possible, then I stack one on top of the other and fold the stack in half, then fold in half again the other way (so it's square), before rolling again.

I'd say my Tommy's pizza is very similar to Round Table, but the dough is just a little stiffer and uses a bit more fat (5%).

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #594 on: October 09, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
Hey there Ryan!

I caught your tommys clone a couple of days ago. Lookin' Good! real good!

Visually they look like a serious hybrid of the original West Coast 3. Stiffer is definitely what you want for authentic West Coast Parlor Style.

I really wish I could handle rolling out those stiffer doughs. :(

I'm so thrilled to see this style "finally" get out from under the "can't be done at home" stigma..

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #595 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »
Thank you, Lydia.

Yeah, the more I figure out about Tommy's, the more I realize it's a lot like the west coast pizzas, but Columbusized. Actually, I think it all started becoming clear to me as I munched on a Shakey's pizza in Culver City in March 2012. In July 2013, after a long break from pizza, I started trying to make my Tommy's clones more like Shakey's, and that's when it all came together.

Yeah, the stiff dough creates a lot of hard work. I need to try to get a manual sheeter or something. It takes me over 30 minutes to roll and trim each skin. (Could be done a good bit quicker, I guess, if you're not concerned with geting the skin weight absolutely perfect.)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #596 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »
Yeah, the stiff dough creates a lot of hard work. I need to try to get a manual sheeter or something. It takes me over 30 minutes to roll and trim each skin. (Could be done a good bit quicker, I guess, if you're not concerned with geting the skin weight absolutely perfect.)

Ryan,

You might take a look at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49138.html#msg49138 to see if the dough warming method described there has any value to you.

Peter

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #597 on: October 11, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
I really wish I could handle rolling out those stiffer doughs. :(

Yeah, the stiff dough creates a lot of hard work. I need to try to get a manual sheeter or something. It takes me over 30 minutes to roll and trim each skin.

You just need to bite the bullet and get a sheeter! The possibilities are endless. The downside to putting too much muscle into it is over-developing the dough = a hockey puck. You two (and MadErnie) need to decide if you're in this game or not. It's been several years now and if you saved a dollar a day, you'd have a sheeter by now. Step up to the plate and throw down already! Sell a horse, sell a car, sell a kidney. Just get your hands on a sheeter! (All in fun of course!  :P)

After making enough pizzas in my conveyor and throwing party after party, I think I am ready to move on to a deck oven. Mad Ernie - not a peep! I don't want to hear it. I certainly like the capacity of the conveyor, but when I make 1-2 pies on my stone in my Bluestar oven it has that extra bit of snap to it that I don't get from the conveyor. I need to get something with enough capacity, but not quite sure I want to bite that one off just yet.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #598 on: October 14, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
After making enough pizzas in my conveyor and throwing party after party, I think I am ready to move on to a deck oven. Mad Ernie - not a peep! I don't want to hear it. I certainly like the capacity of the conveyor, but when I make 1-2 pies on my stone in my Bluestar oven it has that extra bit of snap to it that I don't get from the conveyor. I need to get something with enough capacity, but not quite sure I want to bite that one off just yet.

No peep from me.  I am all pro-deck oven.  I have rarely found a conveyor oven that works as well.  :D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #599 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
It gets me about 90% there. Being a purist that 10% makes it hard to overlook. Since the quality is a sum of all parts, it's hard to ignore this. I also think there may be more flexibility in the recipe using a deck.  :-\