Author Topic: Artichoke Pesto Problems  (Read 826 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Artichoke Pesto Problems
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »
Has anyone else had any problems using artichoke pesto as a base for a pizza? I put a pretty good smear of it on my Mellow Mushroom style pie with some lightly sauteed shrimp and red onions and I had HUGE amount of oil on top of the pie. Like, it was wobbly and jiggly on the top when I peeled it out of my oven, and I've never had this problem with my regular pesto pie although they do turn out a bit oiler than my tomato based pies but nothing that doesn't turn out as it cools. I had to take about four paper towels and dab the top pretty hard and the crust was just slightly soggy beneath the pesto. It was still a great pie, but I was a bit bummed it wasn't ready to eat out of the oven, I even held it underneath the broiler for a second to try to dry it out.

Anyone else had these problems though? I tried to just get the artichokes parts out of the pesto and leave most all of the oil in the jar. Very little oil was on the pie when it went in the oven.

-Cory
More is better..... and too much is just right.

buceriasdon

Re: Artichoke Pesto Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
Cory, I make my own pestos just for this very reason, be it basil, sundried tomatoe pesto, what have you. It's not that hard. I sprinkle whatever type of pesto I'm using and don't try to spread it as it will lay down on it's own during baking.
Don

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
Yeah, I have a basil plant and quite a few pine nuts, but the stuff that I bought was really good quality and I never thought I would see pooling like that. I guess the moisture in the artichokes didn't help the situation, but the basil pesto I've made has done similar things if I laid it on thicker. I just wanted to see if other people had tips on keeping it down. I almost thought about adding a teaspoon of cornstarch to the pesto to thicken it up during baking but I don't know how that would turn out.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
I almost thought about adding a teaspoon of cornstarch to the pesto to thicken it up during baking but I don't know how that would turn out.

Unless you like eating Elmer's glue, I'm thinking that's probably not something you want to do.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »
Haha yeah that was why I was holding off on it. I have never used cornstarch in anything but liquid based recipes and never oil. I guess it would almost turn into pesto gravy now that I think about it. Not good eats. Ever.