Author Topic: Fibrament Stone Results  (Read 3954 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Fibrament Stone Results
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:59:27 AM »
There will be more pics to come.I have not taken pics of a bunch of pizzas I made thus far,but I do have the pics of the first pie I made,plus a pic of a 18 inch screen,sitting on top of the stone,to show size and reference.

Please note,the pics of the pizza,this was a test pie when I took the pictures.The bake time was around 4 and half minutes and the oven was about 600 F.( I may be off some temps and times,since its been a while)

The stone is 18x22 and is 3/4 inch thick.This pie,the sauce went everywhere and I did not try to create a rim worthy of pictures.I was testing the cook/char on the bottom and top.

-Bill

scott123

Re: Fibrament Stone Results
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:34:59 AM »
As usual, the pie looks stupendous.

Thanks for posting this result. I've always theorized that fibrament needed somewhere around 600 for 4 minute bakes and it's good to see some real world data backing that up.

You were saying something about 600 @ 4 minutes giving you a little too much undercrust color? I don't know about you, but that looks pretty darn good to me  ;)

On the plus side, as much as I have issues with the Fibrament (at lower temps), at least now you can get rid of that evil screen  :-D

Edit: I just noticed you don't have a huge amount of clearance between the walls and the stone. This probably isn't the case, but maybe your stone is getting super heated from below and that's why you're seeing the faster than expected bake times with the fibrament.  Next time you do a bake could you get a bottom reading of the stone? If the air flow is sufficient, it might be as high as 650, but if you're blocking heat from hitting the top chamber, it might be as high as 750.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:39:50 AM by scott123 »

Offline communist

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »
That is a nice NY pie Bill!  Mark

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
Thanks all!
 8)
Mark,it wasnt my best but Im happy with it.I can eat the whole thing myself if Im not careful lol.

Scott,because my wife ordered the stone,she ordered it smaller,like one inch on both sides to allow the heat to rise from the sides.The back of the stone hits the wall.If I was to order a stone or a steel plate,I would order it cut a little smaller to release more heat.

While this stone could be a little smaller,like 18x20 to allow more heat to rise, it seems to get hot just fine.The temp gauge hanging on the upper rack shows 600 F when Hot.

We have left the stone in since I got it,and we cook all kinds of food in there with the stonetting on the bottom.I only use the stone for pizza or bread,and use the middle rack ofr everything else.

Nothing has changed,if anything,the oven cooks a little faster once the stone is hot.I made brownies yesterday for the kids using the middle rack and the stone is on the bottom.It came out perfect.I do not seem to have any heat issues even in the middle part of the oven.

As far as reflecting back some heat,I can easily do that with foil on the middle rack.Im still experimenting.

I have another pic to post later of a Pie cooked in 3 minutes using the stone first,then broiler finish.When I get home,I will load it up.It came out pretty good.
 :)
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Btw,folks that read this,I do not use the screens to cook my pies on.I use the super peel to launch pies onto the stone.

I use the screen to let the pizza cool off over the sink/countertop as soon as it comes out of the oven.I like doing it this way since when I use a solid pan to cool a pie off in the past,the bottom can steam and get soggy.

The screen keeps it from getting soggy and gross.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »
3 minute bake on stone,then about 30 seconds under the broiler(a guesstimate)
Dough was 4 hours old,from start to finish,room risen.

This was an experimental pie to play around with the oven temps and times.Hence,its not very large as to not waste cheese and etc.

Sorry some pics may not be the best,Im still using a cell phone cam.

-Bill

Offline hammettjr

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
Looking good Bill!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
Where did you get that stone?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline jever4321

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
YUM! Great lookin' pies Bill!
-Jay

Offline politon

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
Great looking pies! Very nice browning.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
Thanks Matt,Jever,Poli,everyone etc, for the compliments.I made some more pies that shocked me but I did not take pics at the time...The cheese seems to bubble over alot and spill out over the crust,causing it to burn on the stone and etc.

:-D

Doesnt happen often but once in a while.I need to take pics and been lazy.

Pythonic,my wife said she ordered the stone from Fibraments website here:

http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
Made another pie today...4 minutes on the stone then maybe 35 seconds under the broiler.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:11:39 AM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline politon

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »
Made another pie today...4 minutes on the stone then maybe 35 seconds under the broiler.

Perfection Bill! What kind of cheese did you use?

Offline scarboni

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
Very nice pies! Id buy to on appearance alone!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »
Thanks all! The cheese was Fresh Mozzarella made by BelGioioso.Its pretty good at times,but when I tend to make more more of a NY style slice,I will use whole milk mozz shredded by hand.This pie was not my typical NY slice pie.It was a bit thicker,but soooo good!!!
 ;D
http://www.belgioioso.com/FreshMozz.htm
-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
Bill, excellent results.  I think you got it down good.  Your pies are really really consistent. Mine are more hit and miss but you are consistent.  The Fibrament seems like a really good stone to use.  I like the side crust view photos. You almost got spider webbing effect that I like.  Nice browing on the top and bottom without TOO MUCH char.  I like your bake times.  You did a lot of experimenting over the years and you got it down. Thanks for sharing.

scott123

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »
The Fibrament seems like a really good stone to use.

...for those with extraordinarily hot ovens or for modders.  For the rest of us, it's a really poor stone to use- and a bit overpriced compared to better options.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
scott, true, yeah Bill's oven does get really hot.

Bill, didn't notice you mentioned the formula for the dough you used. Please list the baker's percentages. Thanks buddy.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »
Thanks James and everyone,Its been a pleasure to be able to make pizzas with a larger surface area to work with.No more worrying about sliding or missing the center of the small stone!

8)

Scott,I will play around with some lower temps soon and see if I can make a decent pie,or if I need to crank it up as I usually do.

James,I forgot and I will add the recipe info later.I did jot it down somewhere,but as always,I dont keep track of where I left the papers.Sometimes it gets thrown out since we clean alot.Got 4 kids ya know.
 :-D
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »
Was trying to update this thread with new pics,but kept failing.More to come soon.
-Bill