Author Topic: help with pan for 14" gluten free pizza  (Read 773 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
help with pan for 14" gluten free pizza
« on: May 12, 2012, 08:22:38 AM »
Hi all,

I've got a bit of an equipment dilemma on my hands.  First, some background:

I used to be very active making pizza in my oven, so I know about stones, quarry tile, pans, etc.  Then I was diagnosed with celiac disease, and was forced to adapt to making gluten free pizzas, which work with dough that does not act like a regular dough, but more like a spreadable half-batter/half-dough.  It's very fragile.

I've been making GF pizzas up to now by making the "dough", spreading it onto either my rectangular baking sheet or a 12" circular pan, putting it into a preheated oven (500 degrees) until it "firms up" enough to take it out and put sauce and cheese on it, then putting it back into the oven for a final bake.  I like making charred-bottom NY-style pizzas.

Now, I'd like to move up to 14" pizzas.  Surprisingly, I'm not sure how to go with this.

I have a Lodge Pole 14" cast iron pan that I've never used (it was a present).  I was thinking I'd like to use this.  However, I thought that with cast iron, you need to preheat it and THEN add the dough.  The problem is, I can't just slip GF dough onto a heated pan like that; I need to spread it on, which takes a minute or two--and anyway I think I read that it's not healthy for the iron to preheat it and then suddenly remove it from heat (does bad things to the iron, right?).  So I'm not sure how well I'd be able to use this.

So then I thought, maybe I can just buy a normal 14" baking pan and do as I've been doing up until now with my 12" baking sheet/pan.  The problem is, where can I buy a regular 14" pan?  Online, so many of the pans say "14 inches" but really that's the OUTSIDE diameter; the inside diameter, which is more important to me obviously, is always 12".   Does anyone have a source where I could buy a decent regular 14" baking sheet/pan that is 14" on the INSIDE diameter?

Thanks for any answers/advice :)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: help with pan for 14" gluten free pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
shameless bump :)  Hoping for some help!

Offline dmcavanagh

pizzapan