Author Topic: Sources for Ingredients in SF Bay Area  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Sources for Ingredients in SF Bay Area
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 03:10:23 AM »
In the cake & confectionery field we use NSF often (like PVC piping etc.) so to me it's just commonplace.

For an inexpensive food grade filtering pump that might not be quite ideal, is the immersion oil filter that is often sold next to the turkey fryers.

There are a few home beer brewers that might be able to suggest better filtering equipment. I'd pose the question under the ingredients topic under tomatoes. Maybe others who are growing their own tomatoes can give some insight too.

There is a bit of a difference between a tomato paste and a concentrated crushed tomato product. Unfortunately, paste is made by boiling reduction and scraping the thick residue from the sides of the pot, this "overprocessing" tends to create a bitter tomato product. So the filtering method would produce a better tasting sauce.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »
Dan I made it to La Villa. I'm glad you mentioned it. The wonderful aromas that greeted me, nearly knocked me to the floor.

Just before I ventured the La Villa, I made a stop as the cake supply that I frequent visit off of Lincoln and had a discussion with the owner about La Villa. She had just made a cake for the original owners Birthday just a few weeks ago. They had, had a discussion about how La Villa was no longer using her original recipe for Ravioli. Primarily that the pasta is being rolled too thick. ("You must be able to see the filling through the pasta"). I failed to mention that the cake supply owner is Italian"

Luckily, I got to the place in between the lunch and dinner-time rush. So I was able to casually look around. I saw the Escalon 6 in 1's, but what really got my attention was the Polly-O fresh whole mozzarella and the ricotta. I willing to bet that they are using Polly-O ricotta in the Raviolis. It is exceptionally smooth and tastes different that most others. I just couldn't tell if it was for sell or if the fridge was for their use only.

Since it was calm in the shop it also made it possible to ask questions. Most of the meats are Columbus brand, but the pepperoni is Hormel. I've mentioned Hormel a couple of times in my "Pepperoni brands" discussion. Your description is "right-on" with what I've experience with Hormel so far. What I don't know is,wether or not this is the premium Hormel. I didn't pick any up during this visit, but I plan on returning and will try some later.

I still have yet to get over to Badalamente. Which also came strongly recommend by the cake supply owner.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 02:28:41 PM »
I am glad you enjoyed the trip. Yes, the smell alone of an "italian" deli is enough to knock your socks off. I love it! Thanks for the info on the roni. I have never tried Polly-o ricotta, but I can say the texture of their ravioli is not "grainy" like a traditional ricotta. I have experimented with making my own ricotta, which is not a "true" ricotta because it is the first curd from the milk, but I can come close to the creamy (almost whipping cream) flavor that theirs has. If you are interested in the recipe, just let me know.

I haven't noticed any difference in the thickness of the dough, but then again, I usually make my own and don't visit them for the ravs in particular.

Since you're into the cake scene, there is another cake place over on Bascom called CakeWorks. My godmother knows the owner, but I don't know if it's family or not.

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 12:44:53 PM »
I went to La Villa yesterday. The Italian proscuitto they have is just _wow_. Toscano salami is great too. I spent $50 bucks there. Their olive oil and balsamic vinegar selection is not too hot though.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »
Dan

I'd like to give your ricotta recipe a try.

Finding the cake supplies in the area was one of the first things I did when we were staying in the area. I've been to Cakeworks quite a few times. It's the first I've visited that also does some baking.

I went to La Villa yesterday. The Italian proscuitto they have is just _wow_. Toscano salami is great too. I spent $50 bucks there. Their olive oil and balsamic vinegar selection is not too hot though

I really enjoyed La villa too. I plan on visiting again soon.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Dough to GO! in SF Bay Area
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »
New York Style pizza dough balls

(Each) Pizza Dough Balls   Small 1.75            Medium 2.25              Large 3.00

To see a list of other TO GO items. See MENU on the site for Hot Tray or Cold Trays TO GO!

http://fjlmountainview.com/page/18xvg/Trays_to_Go/ToGo_Pint_Quart.html

Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi Too!
5245 Prospect Road, San Jose (408) 446-9644

939 W El Camino Real, Mountain View (650) 967-5384

11891 Dubin Blvd. Dublin (925) 828-9380

Giorgio's Italian Food & Pizzeria

1445 Foxworthy Ave. San Jose (408) 264-5781

643 Calaveras Blvd. (409) 942-1292

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 01:35:48 AM »
If anyone in SF is looking for a good place to buy ingredients, check out Lucca Delicatessen on Chestnut St.  They have 1KG bags of Caputo Blu and La Valle San Marzano tomatoes. 

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 11:43:44 AM »
Cash and Carry on San Carlos in San Jose has a decent selection of flour. I saw pendleton, General Mills H&R, and some other unique brands. They had a "special pizza mix" from Pendleton Mills, but I have never tried it so I don't know what type of pizza it will produce.

They also sell GALILLEO PREMIUM pepperoni. I have found this to be quite different than the greasy Gallo pepperoni sold in most grocery stores. It's less spicy, much more flavorful and cooks to a nice red color.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:45:52 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 06:57:33 PM »
Good News!

I recieved the following info from Escalon to be posted in the forum.

Safeway corporate said the Northern California stores are supposed to have the 28 oz. 6 in 1 on their shelves.  If not, please contact the store and ask them to replace this item back onto the shelves.

It is from loyal customers like yourself that we learn of these situations in the stores, and then we can act on solutions.  I truly appreciate your inquiry and your loyalty to our 6-IN-1 All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes.  To support your inquiry, I also suggest that you also submit a Product Request Form from your store manager of your Safeway store, requesting for the missing item to be restocked.  The UPC number used to identify the product is # 7848510010.

You should see the item in your store next week.  If you do not, please email me and let me know, and I can follow-up on it further.

Thank you once again.

Norman.albert@us.hjheinz.com

Escalon Premier Brands

1-800-343-9556x6035

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 11:04:25 PM »
Safeway NorCal includes Bakersfield north and also includes Reno and Hawaii.

If they are inquiring about anywhere between Bakersfield and Western Canada, please continue to have them contact me and forward their inquiries to me.   Because we are expanding to not just Safeway, but also Whole Foods, PCC and New Seasons, as well as other retailers in the Northwest, so I can direct them as we grow.

Thanks.

Norm

Offline zappcatt

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 11:08:38 PM »
I did not see them on the shelves at the Santa Clara Safeway last time I was there(3 times on Wed), but they are finishing a remodel, so might be a little behind.

I am actually making a honey do run for sweets so will drop in the aisle and see....

EDIT: Still not there...
They had:
Safeway Generic
Organics
Hunts
S&W
Contadina

Mybe another one or 2...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 11:39:18 PM by zappcatt »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »
Zack

I didn't see them either.  ???

I was in the area last weekend and I checked the one on Montegue Exp.  I checked in the specialty Italian products and the standard tomato products.

Offline altheg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »
The Lunardi's market at Brahnam and Meridian carries 6 in 1 Escalon as well as about 4-5 brands of San Marzano products, excellent selection for the pizza experimenter.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 02:19:01 PM »
Thanks altheg!  :D

pizzapan