Author Topic: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012  (Read 27432 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
I've got lots of flowering and fruit growing on the ones that I planted in the community garden. I'm not really sure what to expect at home, because I planted so late, and they don't get more that around 5 hours of direct sun. It was more of a case of "what do I do with these 4 seedings that I started" at home because I ran out of room at the community garden. I don't have any great expectations from these, but I hope the ones that get full sun all day at the community garden will keep me going all season.

Barry

Barry,

That is probably the problem if the tomato plants aren't in the sun most of the day and not flowering.  My neighbor also told me his tomato plants are planted where they don't get sun most of the day.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »
Barry,

That is probably the problem if the tomato plants aren't in the sun most of the day and not flowering.  My neighbor also told me his tomato plants are planted where they don't get sun most of the day.

Norma

Yup. I know that's the case (and transplanting them really late doesn't help either). I just didn't have anywhere else to plant them (I even asked a neighbor who gets way more sun if I could borrow a small part of his garden in returen for a share of the bounty, but he didn't have enough room either).

Oh well...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:57:18 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
A pigeon's-eye view of my orgasmic garden featuring San Marzano Redorta tomatoes on the left, Helda and Goldmarie Romano-type pole beans on the fences, a Matt's Wild Cherry tomato plant in the foreground on the right with Picklebush cucumbers, Brandywine tomatoes, Gardener's Delight cherry tomatoes, and Pennsylvania Butter-Flavored heirloom popcorn toward the rear...   ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:57:09 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
Pete,

Your garden is very interesting and looks like it is doing well.  ;D

Norma

Offline kramer73

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
had one tomato on one of my plants, looked at it today and it has blossum rot :(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »
had one tomato on one of my plants, looked at it today and it has blossum rot :(

kramer73,

Sorry to hear that your one tomato had blossum rot.   :(  Hope your plants fare better soon. 

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
Pete,

Your garden is very interesting and looks like it is doing well.  ;D

Norma

Why thank you, Norma!!!   :)

It's been somewhat of a challenge this year with the cool spring and hot, dry summer so far.  The garden wouldn't look nearly this good if it wasn't for the assistance of Mr. Sprinkles there on the right in the pic.  We got an excellent harvest out of our Sugar Snap peas earlier on, however, which were planted on the fences where the pole beans are now.   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »

Poor fruit set is usually caused by one of two things, Kramer, too much nitrogen fertilizer or excessively high nighttime temperatures.  Blossom end rot is a result of a calcium deficiency due to inconsistent soil moisture.  Dusting the plants with pulverized lime once or twice helps alleviate that problem.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »

It's been somewhat of a challenge this year with the cool spring and hot, dry summer so far.  The garden wouldn't look nearly this good if it wasn't for the assistance of Mr. Sprinkles there on the right in the pic.  We got an excellent harvest out of our Sugar Snap peas earlier on, however, which were planted on the fences where the pole beans are now.   ;D

Pete,

I know it has been somewhat of a challenge this year to try a grow a garden, since I am in your area.  I like your name for Mr. Sprinkles.  ;D I love Sugar Snap peas.  My other pizza making friends that live fairly near me also have a really big garden and even win many prizes at farm shows in our area.  They are having problems with their sweet corn now because of the shortage of rain.  They did bring me lots of veggies yesterday at market.  I havenít ever really seen their gardens, but they did email me pictures.

Continue to let us know how your garden is doing.  :)

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
Pete,

I know it has been somewhat of a challenge this year to try a grow a garden, since I am in your area.  I like your name for Mr. Sprinkles.  ;D I love Sugar Snap peas.  My other pizza making friends that live fairly near me also have a really big garden and even win many prizes at farm shows in our area.  They are having problems with their sweet corn now because of the shortage of rain.  They did bring me lots of veggies yesterday at market.  I havenít ever really seen their gardens, but they did email me pictures.

Continue to let us know how your garden is doing.  :)

Norma

Will do, Norma!!!   :)

A gardening-related thread such as this one would be where I can truely give expert advice since horticulture has been my chosen profession for like the past 25 years or so unlike Dodge Power Wagons or pizzamaking as both still remain hobbies for the moment.

Yeah, for some reason, "Mrs. Sprinkles" just never sounded right but I'll try to keep the sexual innuendo to a minimum even though landscaping and nursery slang terminology seems to be chock full of it.   :-X  ;)  ;D

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »
Pete: It's great to have a pro here. I was at our plot in the community garden today, and someone came up to me with a small plant in her hand (mistaking me for someone who actually knows anything), and asked if it was a weed. I told her that all I know is that it isn't a tomato.  :-[

I've got lots of those coming, along with lots of basil (that has already found its way onto several pizzas over the past month), and a few peppers (if you can't put it on a pizza, I don't grow it). My wife grew some fabulous sugar snap peas, and we've been enjoying kale (tried some on a few pies... nice) and chard for the past couple of weeks, too. Cooked with the first onions tonight (sauteed in EVOO with some baby yellow squash and garlic grown by my favorite local organic farmer). Almost time to start harvesting some very good looking red leaf lettuce. Other stuff coming, too. I keep forgetting to take more pictures.

kramer73: I had some blossom end rot problems last year, and crushed up a bunch of egg shells and mixed them into the soil in the fall (they take a while to break down enough for the calcium to be absorbed). Looks like they are giving off enough calcium this year to avoid the rot.

Thanks for starting this thread, Norma.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:29:25 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
Pete,

I also enjoy someone that knows a lot more than I do about gardening.  I agree with Barry is is nice to have a pro to help!   ;D

Barry,

Your gardening seems to be coming along well too.  That is great news.  ;D I always like to hear about gardens and what members are growing. 

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
Pete: It's great to have a pro here. I was at our plot in the community garden today, and someone came up to me with a small plant in her hand (mistaking me for someone who actually knows anything), and asked if it was a weed. I told her that all I know is that it isn't a tomato.  :-[

Thanks Barry, and a weed is only a plant you don't know the name of.  LOL   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:51 PM »
Pete,

I also enjoy someone that knows a lot more than I do about gardening.  I agree with Barry is is nice to have a pro to help!   ;D

LOL Norma!!!  Horticulture started out as a hobby as well so who knows where this website might lead me someday.   >:D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
LOL Norma!!!  Horticulture started out as a hobby as well so who knows where this website might lead me someday.   >:D

Pete,

Your are so right.  :) You never know where this forum might take you.  You might decide to be a pizzeria operator someday too, besides all of your other hobbies.   :-D

I knew nothing about making pizza before I came to this forum.

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »
Thanks Barry, and a weed is only a plant you don't know the name of.  LOL   ;D

Then there must be a whole lot of weeds out there that other people think are plants  :-D

Offline kramer73

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »

kramer73,

Sorry to hear that your one tomato had blossum rot.   :(  Hope your plants fare better soon. 

Norma

thanks norma, I hope so too! 

Poor fruit set is usually caused by one of two things, Kramer, too much nitrogen fertilizer or excessively high nighttime temperatures.  Blossom end rot is a result of a calcium deficiency due to inconsistent soil moisture.  Dusting the plants with pulverized lime once or twice helps alleviate that problem.   ;D

thanks pete, I wll try that.  I'm going to have to say it's the high nighttime temps.  I work 2nd shift, and it's been almost 90 still at midnight!  It's starting to cool down, so hopefully they'll be ok.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

I've got lots of those coming, along with lots of basil (that has already found its way onto several pizzas over the past month), and a few peppers (if you can't put it on a pizza, I don't grow it). My wife grew some fabulous sugar snap peas, and we've been enjoying kale (tried some on a few pies... nice) and chard for the past couple of weeks, too. Cooked with the first onions tonight (sauteed in EVOO with some baby yellow squash and garlic grown by my favorite local organic farmer). Almost time to start harvesting some very good looking red leaf lettuce. Other stuff coming, too. I keep forgetting to take more pictures.

Here are a few photos from our little plot of the community garden. The big beef tomatoes are around the size of a tennis ball, and there must be 25 of them in various states of growth on that one 6 foot high plant. There are also lots of flowers and fruit growing on the Sungold plant to the left of the Big Beef. The Brandywine isn't visible. Basil is doing well.

Barry

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »
Barry,

Your garden is doing very well.  Thanks for adding the pictures!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2012, 08:02:36 PM »
Some pictures of my tomato plants and pepper plants taken today.  The cayenne pepper seems to still be working to keep the groundhogs away.  There are lots of tomatoes on the plants as of today, but not loads of ripe ones. 

I picked zucchini and yellow summer squash today and will make some zucchini fritters and bread tomorrow.  I did make homemade chicken corn soup today with fresh picked sweet corn, but it is too hot to fire up the oven until tomorrow morning.  I will probably roast the yellow summer squash with sweet onions for dinner tomorrow.

Norma   

pizzapan