Author Topic: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012  (Read 28603 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2012, 08:03:52 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
A nice bounty.  Summertime is the time for garden vegetables, for sure.  I picked my first crop of habaneros and ghost peppers and am drying them for seed for next year.  They are full of blooms again, thanks to the rain.  My gourds are disappointingly small though.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
A nice bounty.  Summertime is the time for garden vegetables, for sure.  I picked my first crop of habaneros and ghost peppers and am drying them for seed for next year.  They are full of blooms again, thanks to the rain.  My gourds are disappointingly small though.

Tom,

My zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers now have some kind of bugs on them, so I donít know many of the plants will survive.  :( I donít like to use chemicals on garden plants and am not really a true gardener.   :-D

I am glad you picked your first crop of habaneros and ghost peppers and are drying the seeds for next year.  :) Those types of peppers you are growing sure are hot.  :P Would be interested in hearing how your garden does throughout the summer.

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
Tom,

My zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers now have some kind of bugs on them, so I donít know many of the plants will survive.  :( I donít like to use chemicals on garden plants and am not really a true gardener.   :-D

Norma: If you can get a picture of one of the bugs, I'll see if someone at our community garden can identify it and recommend treatment. We are completely organic, so no chemicals involved.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2012, 05:10:25 PM »
Norma: If you can get a picture of one of the bugs, I'll see if someone at our community garden can identify it and recommend treatment. We are completely organic, so no chemicals involved.

Barry

Barry,

Thank you so much for offering to help with my bug problems on my plants.  ;D I removed all the leaves that I thought had eggs on them yesterday and removed all the bugs I could find, but today there are more bugs.  I even tried to put that cayenne pepper on the plant, but it doesnít help.

This is what my one zucchini plant looks like now and the bugs.

Glad to hear at your community center they donít use chemicals. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
Barry,

I was searching on the web what might be on my zucchini leaves and blossoms and think they are striped cucumber beetles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_cucumber_beetle 

I sure donít know how to control them though without chemicals.

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »
Hi Norma:

This is what our resident expert replied:

"The striped is a cucumber beetle, the other is a spotted cucumber beetle. We have them in our garden, too.  They feed on all cucurbits and need to be picked off by hand.  For prevention, use row covers.  This pest spreads wilt and bacterial diseases and is another good reason to encourage beneficials.  Also can use insecticidal soap or horticultural oil. Hope this helps!"

I'm with Terri on the "Hope this helps!" sentiment.

Good luck.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
Orange oil, tabasco, and liquid soap.  Spray it on as needed.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2012, 07:42:39 AM »
Hi Norma:

This is what our resident expert replied:

"The striped is a cucumber beetle, the other is a spotted cucumber beetle. We have them in our garden, too.  They feed on all cucurbits and need to be picked off by hand.  For prevention, use row covers.  This pest spreads wilt and bacterial diseases and is another good reason to encourage beneficials.  Also can use insecticidal soap or horticultural oil. Hope this helps!"

I'm with Terri on the "Hope this helps!" sentiment.

Good luck.

Barry

Orange oil, tabasco, and liquid soap.  Spray it on as needed.

Barry and Tom,

Thanks so much to both of you!   ;) I will try what you both posted.  I will report back if I am successful in getting rid of the beetles.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »
Barry and Tom,

Thanks so much to both of you!   ;) I will try what you both posted.  I will report back if I am successful in getting rid of the beetles.

Norma

Neem oil is your best bet, Norma...   8)

http://yardener.com/YardenersPlantProblemSolver/DealingWithPestInsects/PestInsectsInTheVegetableGarden/CucumberBeetles/SolutionsforCucumberBeetles

I have no experience with the newfangled Spinosad stuff but here's the lowdown on that since the link on the above page seems to be broken...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad   ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:33:54 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »
Neem oil is your best bet, Norma...   8)

http://yardener.com/YardenersPlantProblemSolver/DealingWithPestInsects/PestInsectsInTheVegetableGarden/CucumberBeetles/SolutionsforCucumberBeetles

I have no experience with the newfangled Spinosad stuff but here's the lowdown on that since the link on the above page seems to be broken...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad   ;D

Pete,

Thank you too for telling me about Neem oil.  ;) I will look at my local nursery and hardware store to see if they carry it.  I did kill a bunch of those beetles yesterday.  They hide everywhere.  When I went to pick up some of the little zucchini that are now still growing, I found something that looked like stink bugs.  I now see what look like stink bugs are another kind of insect that also eat zucchini leaves.  I donít think I am going to try and grow zucchini next year.  They are too prone to having problems with insects.  :-D

Norma
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:51:39 AM by norma427 »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
Pete,

Thank you too for telling me about Neem oil.  ;) I will look at my local nursery and hardware store to see if they carry it.  I did kill a bunch of those beetles yesterday.  They hide everywhere.  When I went to pick up some of the little zucchini that are now still growing, I found something that looked like stink bugs.  I now see what look like stink bugs are another kind of insect that also eat zucchini leaves.  I donít think I am going to try and grow zucchini next year.  They are too prone to having problems with insects.  :-D

Norma

Those are the infamous Squash Bugs, Norma, which are closely related to stink bugs.  Neem oil should help with those as well.  Spray the entire plant concentrating on the undersides of the leaves where the eggs are laid and the little nymphs like to hide.   :)

Growing any member of the Cucurbitaceae family can be a royal PITA when their common pests get out of control.  I'll often skip years to help prevent the bad guys from building up significant populations.  Leaves more room for popcorn and tomatoes, anyway.  LOL   ;)

Squash Vine Borer would be the other common Cucurbit pest out of the "big four".  That one can be controlled through an application or two of Bacillus thuringiensis earlier in the growing season.  Sprays are usually the quickest and most convenient method of dealing with insect problems but other physical organic solutions such as barriers and traps work as well, if you have the time to manage them, of course.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »
Those are the infamous Squash Bugs, Norma, which are closely related to stink bugs.  Neem oil should help with those as well.  Spray the entire plant concentrating on the undersides of the leaves where the eggs are laid and the little nymphs like to hide.   :)

Growing any member of the Cucurbitaceae family can be a royal PITA when their common pests get out of control.  I'll often skip years to help prevent the bad guys from building up significant populations.  Leaves more room for popcorn and tomatoes, anyway.  LOL   ;)

Squash Vine Borer would be the other common Cucurbit pest out of the "big four".  That one can be controlled through an application or two of Bacillus thuringiensis earlier in the growing season.  Sprays are usually the quickest and most convenient method of dealing with insect problems but other physical organic solutions such as barriers and traps work as well, if you have the time to manage them, of course.   ;D

Pete,

Thanks for saying the Neem oil should help with the stink like looking bugs also.  I am not a knowledgeable gardener and just do it for fun and to get a a few veggies.  To buy barriers and traps for a few plants seem like a pain.  I sure donít have a big garden.

Thanks for your help again!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
I went to my local nursery and hardware store yesterday and they carried the 70% Neem Oil.  I hope this is the right kind of product to apply to my plants to help with the insects.  I checked the zucchini plant yesterday morning and didnít see anymore of the beetles, but found what looked like a stink bug (squash bug) around the leaves.  I killed the stink like looking squash bug.  The zucchini plant still is growing some zucchinis, but I donít know if they will continue to grow.  I donít know if the eggs I picked off of the leaves are from the stink like looking bug or from the beetles.  I had thought I had removed all of the eggs before, but either I missed them, or something laid eggs again.  I picked off the eggs and they are hard to pick off. 

I didnít apply the Neem Oil yesterday, and wonít apply it today because it is raining.  I hope the Neem Oil works, because it is expensive.  It is concentrated though, so I guess it will last for this year in trying to keep insects away from my outside plants.

Some of my tomato plants are getting big, while others arenít as big  This one tomato plant is over 5í tall.

Thanks everyone that is trying to help me with insects!  ;D

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »
Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
I went to my local nursery and hardware store yesterday and they carried the 70% Neem Oil.  I hope this is the right kind of product to apply to my plants to help with the insects.  I checked the zucchini plant yesterday morning and didnít see anymore of the beetles, but found what looked like a stink bug (squash bug) around the leaves.  I killed the stink like looking squash bug.  The zucchini plant still is growing some zucchinis, but I donít know if they will continue to grow.  I donít know if the eggs I picked off of the leaves are from the stink like looking bug or from the beetles.  I had thought I had removed all of the eggs before, but either I missed them, or something laid eggs again.  I picked off the eggs and they are hard to pick off.  

I didnít apply the Neem Oil yesterday, and wonít apply it today because it is raining.  I hope the Neem Oil works, because it is expensive.  It is concentrated though, so I guess it will last for this year in trying to keep insects away from my outside plants.

Some of my tomato plants are getting big, while others arenít as big  This one tomato plant is over 5í tall.

Thanks everyone that is trying to help me with insects!  ;D

Norma  

Insects have a tendency to bug all of us once and awhile, Norma.   :D

That bottle of Neem oil ought to last you through quite a few growing seasons as long as you don't overdo it.  LOL   :)

As you can see by the label, it works for fungus problems as well.   ;)

BTW, your Hibiscus in the background looks good!!!  Mine are blooming now also.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:40:15 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »
Insects have a tendency to bug all of us once and awhile, Norma.   :D

That bottle of Neem oil ought to last you through quite a few growing seasons as long as you don't overdo it.  LOL   :)

As you can see by the label, it works for fungus problems as well.   ;)

BTW, your Hibiscus in the background looks good!!!  Mine are blooming now also.   ;D

Pete,

I know insects have a tendency to bug us once in awhile.  After it stopped raining, I went out and checked the zucchini and cucumber plants.  The zucchini leaves had more eggs on them and now the beetles moved to the cucumber plants.  I mixed that Neem and sprayed the heck of both plants.  :-D I donít know how long the Neem will last me if I keep having problems with insects, but it should last a long while.

I did see the Neem works for fungus as well.  ;D

Thanks for saying the Hibiscus looks good.  Some of those flowers get really big.  Usually Japanese beetles want to eat those flowers.  At least I am ready since I know about Neem. :-D  Do you ever have problems with Japanese beetles on your Hibiscus?

Thanks again,  :)

Norma

pizzapan