Author Topic: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012  (Read 25073 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012
« Reply #340 on: August 25, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »
Barry,

Thanks!  I have been following that thread.  It sure has some good ideas!   ;D

Norma

Yes indeed...going to semi-dehydrate a batch this evening. That is, unless the boss wants to go shopping instead.   :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
I am not going to become a dominatrix Pete.  I am me, and if no one likes who I am that is the way it is.  >:D

Bob just wants me to try and find links for him sometimes.  :-D He already has a girlfriend to take care of.  

I know it is high time to get this thread back on topic.  Thanks for posting your latest batch of Redorta sauce.  Looks great!  ;D :chef:

Norma

Thanks, Norma!!!   :)

Becoming a dominatrix requires a significant investment in new apparel, furnishings, and tools anyway and like Barry said, I like you the way you are also and I just met you not too long ago.   :-*

That Bob guy is okay too, I guess.  LOL   :D

Too many tomatoes?  We just make juice.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
From the abundance of basil in my garden, I made a pretty decent amount of pesto this morning.  I saved some and then used some in a creamy pesto sauce, made with heavy cream and butter.  I also used Craig’s method to make Johnsonville sausage to add to the creamy pesto sauce for pasta.  I also used some Sriracha sauce in with what Craigs uses in his method for making a better sausage with Johnsonville sausage.  The creamy pesto sauce was mixed with wheat pasta and also chopped tomatoes from my garden. 

I saved some of the pesto for later and also am saving some of the sausage creamy pesto sauce with sausage to try on a pizza later today.

I thought the fresh creamy pesto sauce with the spiced up Johnsville sausage over pasta had just the right taste for my palate. 

I still have loads of basil left outside, so in the next few weeks I will have to use more to make pesto to freeze.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #345 on: August 26, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #346 on: August 26, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »
Sunday morn'in cooking.....momm'a in the kitchen. Yeah baby...now that's what I'm talk'in 'bout!  Looks deeelish Norma. That pasta salad needs to get in my belly!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #347 on: August 26, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
Sunday morn'in cooking.....momm'a in the kitchen. Yeah baby...now that's what I'm talk'in 'bout!  Looks deeelish Norma. That pasta salad needs to get in my belly!!   :chef:

Thanks Bob!  :)  The stuff for the pasta was easy to make.  You could easily do that yourself.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: August 31, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
This is a picture of what the spider webs look like that I go though at nighttime, when walking the dogs.  I hate those darn things.  :-D  I did take some pictures yesterday of what a farm looks like in our area if anyone is interested and wants me to post them.  I have also seen some beautiful butterflies in my backyard lately.  This is one picture of a butterfly.  I also have seen many praying mantis, so hopefully they are helping in my small garden.  My cucumber plant died, I guess from the beetles and I have seen more bugs on the pumpkin blossoms and have sprayed Neem again.  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: August 31, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #350 on: August 31, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »
I hate spiders Norma! Do you have a link to Craig's sausage method? I'd like to try that out. Pesto sausage sounds awesome and I have some natural casings I could stuff them back into.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: September 01, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »

Do you have a link to Craig's sausage method? I'd like to try that out. Pesto sausage sounds awesome and I have some natural casings I could stuff them back into.

Cory,

This is where Craig posted about what he does to Johnsonville mild Italian sausage at Reply 30 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19393.msg201106.html#msg201106  and at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16349.msg159800.html#msg159800  I did add some cayenne pepper and Sriracha sauce.  That Sriracha sauce is good added to different foods.

I never tried pesto sausage, but think that is a great idea.  Thanks!  :)

Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #352 on: September 01, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
Thanks Norma! Last time I made a Chicago deep dish I went along those lines and added some toasted fennel and cayenne to my sausage when I removed it from the casing to up the flavor. Good to know I was thinking along the same lines as the really good cooks around here.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:03 AM »
Thanks Norma! Last time I made a Chicago deep dish I went along those lines and added some toasted fennel and cayenne to my sausage when I removed it from the casing to up the flavor. Good to know I was thinking along the same lines as the really good cooks around here.

Cory,

You are a great cook!   :chef:  Great minds think alike.   ;D  I had to use Craig's help.   :-D

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
I just picked the first of my Matt's Wild Cherries at the house (finally getting some ripening action on them and on the Camparies). I made a tomato sandwich for lunch (Brandywine) on fresh chibatta, with a little salt and mayo, with a side of tomatoes (Matt's Wild Cherries and Sungolds). Brandywines are scrumptious, Sungolds are as sweet as candy. The surprise was that the Matt's Wild Cherries taste like... tomatoes... big, flavorful tomato taste from these tiny little cherries. Kind of like driving along, and having the little motor scooter following you blow a gigantic air horn.  :o

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
Barry,

I never heard of Matt’s Wild Cherries before.  Your sandwich sure sounded good!  :)

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #356 on: September 01, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
I think Matt's Wild Cherry won SWEETEST TOMATO at the 6th Annual Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest today!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
I think Matt's Wild Cherry won SWEETEST TOMATO at the 6th Annual Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest today!

Mark,

Thanks for the picture of Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes!  ;D   They sure look delicious.  

I bet you had a bunch of fun at the Tomato TasteFest today.  I wish I could have been there.   :(   The only place I visited today was market for the Annual Arts and Craft show and all I ate was one slice of pizza and Finky's French Fries.  It was too hot in our area today to do all the walking around and eating much.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00:52 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the picture of Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes!  ;D   They sure look delicious.  

I bet you had a bunch of fun at the Tomato TasteFest today.  I wish I could have been there.   :(   The only place I visited today was market for the Annual Arts and Craft show and all I ate was one slice of pizza and Finky's French Fries.  It was too hot in our area today to do all the walking around and eating much.

Norma

Thanks, I had a good time, I just got home near 8pm! It was a beautiful day hear sunny & 80-85. We had a couple people from around Pittsburgh PA attend, a lot from Canada, and I even won 1 of the raffle prizes--it was winner's choice and I skipped the plants, canned preserves and baskets of canned tomatoes in Ball jars and took a bundle that had Vegetable-themed towels/dishrags/oven mitts and a book titled "Hunt's Complete Tomato Sauce Cookbook." Didn't look at it yet. I have met many friends and one that attends I told him about THIS forum and he said YES he saw it before and was thinking about making his own pizzas and coming here in the future! I even told him about YOU and the 2+ year thread on NJ Boardwalk Pizza! :-D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:04:41 PM by matermark »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
Thanks, I had a good time, I just got home near 8pm! It was a beautiful day hear sunny & 80-85. We had a couple people from around Pittsburgh PA attend, a lot from Canada, and I even won 1 of the raffle prizes--it was winner's choice and I skipped the plants, canned preserves and baskets of canned tomatoes in Ball jars and took a bundle that had Vegetable-themed towels/dishrags/oven mitts and a book titled "Hunt's Complete Tomato Sauce Cookbook." Didn't look at it yet. I have met many friends and one that attends I told him about THIS forum and he said YES he saw it before and was thinking about making his own pizzas and coming here in the future! I even told him about YOU and the 2+ year thread on NJ Boardwalk Pizza! :-D

Mark,

Our weather here in our area was only around 87 degrees F, but it was very humid, so that made it a lot worse.

Great to hear you won one of the raffle prizes.  I am sure you would put what you won to great use.   :chef:

If you think the boardwalk thread is long, there are other threads on this forum that are longer and there at still members searching for cheeses, sauces, or how to make a certain pizzerias dough.  

Norma