Author Topic: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012  (Read 28378 times)

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
Thank you Norma.  After I mowed the grass this morning, I took a panorama shot of my backyard.  It is about 230 degrees of it.  I always plant sunflower seeds for roasting, they are in the pots by the fireplace and the bed to the immediate left of the pergola.  On the left of the patio with the umbrella is a small stand of Bambusa oldhamii, giant bamboo.  I hope to have 40-50' tall bamboo within the next 10 years.  On each pole of the pergola there is a different vine, the front left is dipper gourd, the front right is purple morning glory, the right rear is trumpeter vine and on the rear left is wisteria.  The wisteria and trumpet should cover the pergola in another 3-5 years.

http://brokebrick.com/052012backyardpanorama.jpg

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »
Thank you Norma.  After I mowed the grass this morning, I took a panorama shot of my backyard.  It is about 230 degrees of it.  I always plant sunflower seeds for roasting, they are in the pots by the fireplace and the bed to the immediate left of the pergola.  On the left of the patio with the umbrella is a small stand of Bambusa oldhamii, giant bamboo.  I hope to have 40-50' tall bamboo within the next 10 years.  On each pole of the pergola there is a different vine, the front left is dipper gourd, the front right is purple morning glory, the right rear is trumpeter vine and on the rear left is wisteria.  The wisteria and trumpet should cover the pergola in another 3-5 years.

http://brokebrick.com/052012backyardpanorama.jpg

Tom,

Your panorama shot is beautiful!  ;D  It sure looks like you have lots of space to plant stuff.  Sounds like you are really into gardening even if it isnít tomatoes and veggies.  I really like bamboo too and have a friend that would give me some, but am afraid it would take over my smaller yard in a short while.   

I really like perennials and just was outside for awhile trying to get all the weeds out of them and get them in control.  I also planted a few annuals and some more tomato plants.

Norma   
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
I donít know if anyone can help my problems with something eating at some tomato plants`and one purple pepper plant, but would appreciate is there is anything I can put on the plants so no critters try to take them down.  I guess it is groundhogs that are eating at the plants, but donít know.  I knew there would be critter problems.  I couldnít find any white cosmos, so just planted pink, but donít think they will help much with attracting lady bugs.

My little San Marzano tomato plants that came up from seed from last year are also growing a little.  I soon will plant them in the ground.  I have to go to a farmers home soon and get some straw to help keep the weeds down and also to keep the moisture in.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:56:39 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2012, 09:55:24 PM »
Norma

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
Marigolds planted with the tomatoes help with nematodes, for anything physically taking bites from leaves you will have to search and destroy them individually.  Grasshoppers, caterpillars, and cut bugs can be controlled with chemicals but who wants that?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
Marigolds planted with the tomatoes help with nematodes, for anything physically taking bites from leaves you will have to search and destroy them individually.  Grasshoppers, caterpillars, and cut bugs can be controlled with chemicals but who wants that?

Tom,

Thanks for you help!  :) I guess I will have to purchase some marigolds to see if they help with my plants this year.  I am still having problems with some groundhogs trying to eat off the tops of some of my plants.  I donít even know if it is groundhogs that are eating at some of my plants but whatever it is they are selective in eating certain tops off.  I also donítí want to use chemicals to try to control whatever is at some of my plants.  At least some of my plants are growing well.

Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
Norma I hope your san marzanos turn out good! I would've given anything to get some seeds growing in time for this season but I got too late of a start on my love for pizza baking! BTW, I am sorry I've been MIA from the forum recently, I have been very busy with family and school. I'm going to get back into the swing of baking though soon, I have got to stop making so many hamburgers! (But my love for medium rare ground beef is almost scary, I find myself cooking it less and less! Ha)
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
Norma I hope your san marzanos turn out good! I would've given anything to get some seeds growing in time for this season but I got too late of a start on my love for pizza baking! BTW, I am sorry I've been MIA from the forum recently, I have been very busy with family and school. I'm going to get back into the swing of baking though soon, I have got to stop making so many hamburgers! (But my love for medium rare ground beef is almost scary, I find myself cooking it less and less! Ha)

Cory,

The San Marzano tomato plants are okay so far.  I grew different varieties of San Marzano last year from seed and they were interesting, but I didnít have a food mill then.  I have a smaller food mill now that I picked up recently at a flea market. 

You sure donít have to apologize for being MIA for busy with family and school.  School is more important than making pizzas and so is family.  Lol, about your love of hamburgers and how you like them cooked.  :-D

These are a few pictures of what some of my tomato plants look like.  Some of the tomato plants and other plants have the tops and sides off.  I still donít know what is doing that.   My tomato plants are scattered all over the place.  These are some of them as of tonight.  Sorry for my messy yard, it needs mowed tomorrow.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »
Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
My wife was part of a group that put together a community garden in our town last year. This year, I begged her to let me plant a 4x8 raised bed in her plot as my pizza garden. Three varieties of tomatoes (Big Beef, Brandywine, and Sungold cherry tomatoes) and basil are in now, with garlic going in this fall. We love White Margherita pizzas, so I'm hoping they will work out. I'm waiting to transplant some other heirlooms at home, but not as hopeful... too much shade and I did battle with a very persistent chipmunk last year, who managed to eat a lot of what I planted the day before they were ripe.

We've got some red and yellow peppers going in the community garden plot, too (along with other stuff that I wouldn't dream of putting on a pizza).  :D
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
My wife was part of a group that put together a community garden in our town last year. This year, I begged her to let me plant a 4x8 raised bed in her plot as my pizza garden. Three varieties of tomatoes (Big Beef, Brandywine, and Sungold cherry tomatoes) and basil are in now, with garlic going in this fall. We love White Margherita pizzas, so I'm hoping they will work out. I'm waiting to transplant some other heirlooms at home, but not as hopeful... too much shade and I did battle with a very persistent chipmunk last year, who managed to eat a lot of what I planted the day before they were ripe.

We've got some red and yellow peppers going in the community garden plot, too (along with other stuff that I wouldn't dream of putting on a pizza).  :D

bfguilford,

Sounds great that your wife let you plant a 4íx8í raised bed in her plot as a pizza garden.  ;D I hope your garden produces great results for your pizzas.  I also hope if you transplant some other heirloom tomatoes at home that the shade doesnít hinder the plants and chipmunk doesnít eat your plants.  That was a shame that last year the chipmunk managed to eat a lot of what you planted the day before they were ripe.  :o

Norma   

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2012, 01:35:44 AM »
That chipmunk would've met my assortment of firearms for eating my 'maters the day before harvest. He would've got to meet my dogs appetite as well. LOL, Ruger loves killing and eating small game whole. He's like my big 'ole silver short-haired wolf, but without the vicious attitude.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42:41 AM »
That chipmunk really tested the limits of my preference for non-violence. I have to admit that I was starting to feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. We'll see what happens this year... at least I have my backup plan.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
That chipmunk really tested the limits of my preference for non-violence. I have to admit that I was starting to feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. We'll see what happens this year... at least I have my backup plan.

bfguilford,

Lol!  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »
I think I am becoming like bfguilford and him posting about the chipmunk testing his limits.  I saw the big fat groundhog tonight and he is really testing my limits.  >:( He is mowing off the top of more of my tomatoes plants and even mowed off peppers and fennel.  I am not sure what I am going to do, but for now I sprinkled hot cayenne pepper on the plants.  >:D I donít know if that will stop the groundhog or not.  I plan to ask my one neighbor if I can borrow his trap.  You just put food inside and when the animal gets inside the door goes shut.  I tried that one other year and never caught any of the buggers.  :-D

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2012, 10:57:55 PM »
Norma... I actually put something called a Rat Zapper out next to the tomato plants last year (delivers a major shock to any varmint that goes in after the bait... enough to kill a mouse for sure, and supposed to be enough to kill a rat), and the darned chipmunk got in, got the bait and somehow survived... 5 days in a row, sometimes multiple times a day. I put it away when I realized that it was one tough chipmunk... probably a lot tougher than me, and I didn't want to risk pissing it off any more.

Kind of reminds me of a classic Canadian cartoon called The Cat Came Back .

Barry

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2012, 11:17:35 PM »
Norma... I actually put something called a Rat Zapper out next to the tomato plants last year (delivers a major shock to any varmint that goes in after the bait... enough to kill a mouse for sure, and supposed to be enough to kill a rat), and the darned chipmunk got in, got the bait and somehow survived... 5 days in a row, sometimes multiple times a day. I put it away when I realized that it was one tough chipmunk... probably a lot tougher than me, and I didn't want to risk pissing it off any more.

Kind of reminds me of a classic Canadian cartoon called The Cat Came Back .

Barry

Barry,

Wow, you sure had trouble with that chipmunk too!  :o It sounds like he had nine lives like a cat.  That sure was one smart chipmunk.

I sure donít know what I am going to do next, but try the trap.  At least I hope the groundhog gets a hot mouth.  Thanks for the link to The Cat Came Back.  It sure gave me a good laugh!   :-D That guy in the video sure looks like he was at his wits end too.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
I sure donít know if the hot cayenne pepper will work all summer with my ground hog problems and the groundhogs eating my tomatoes and veggies, but so far it did work.  The cayenne pepper didnít hurt the plants so far and the groundhogs havenít eaten anymore plants or mowed them down.  Maybe the groundhogs donít like hot stuff.  :-D This picture is just of one place the groundhogs were eating stuff and now arenĎt.

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
I sure donít know if the hot cayenne pepper will work all summer with my ground hog problems and the groundhogs eating my tomatoes and veggies, but so far it did work.  The cayenne pepper didnít hurt the plants so far and the groundhogs havenít eaten anymore plants or mowed them down.

That's great, Norma. I'll be curious to hear if the cayenne alters the taste of the tomatoes and veggies at all by being absorbed.

Barry

pizzapan