Author Topic: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012  (Read 28437 times)

Offline JimmyMak

Re: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012
« Reply #380 on: September 06, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »
2 ravello, 6 san marzano  & 2 Dejena lees golden girl. I must say the ravellos & golden girl made it on pizzas & was my favorite of the night. This was 2 weeks ago & I need to take time for pictures. I need to get fast at resizing & time to post. Seems everyone likes pictures. I,m always reading. This site is like having a new magazine everytime.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #381 on: September 07, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
I used the tomatoes picked this morning to make more of Lesís sauce and used the Classico crushed tomatoes again.  I also added a fair amount of fennel seeds this time.  I liked the fennel taste in Lesís sauce.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #382 on: September 07, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
Norma,

Have the hornworms been eating your tomatoes this year?
Pizza is not bread.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: September 07, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »
Norma,

Craig,

I only had two hornworms this year. One at Reply 235 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19160.msg201215.html#msg201215 and one at Reply 212 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19160.msg200573.html#msg200573 I didnít even kill the second hornworm, but relocated him.  :angel:  I also have a lot of praying mantis, so maybe they are helping some.

Norma

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
Norma,

They all drove to CT this year to my garden!

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
They all drove to CT this year to my garden!

Barry

Barry,

Sorry they are all now in your area harming your tomatoes.  Hornworms driving there is funny!   :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2012, 06:50:40 AM »
I used some of Lesís sweet sauce last evening on some fresh spinach pasta that I purchased at Tallutoís yesterday.  I visited Tallutoís at the 9th St. Italian Market in Philly yesterday at Reply 67 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19792.msg209352.html#msg209352

The fresh spinach pasta with Lesís sauce tasted great.  I had planned to get some fresh sausage at the 9th St. Italian Market also, but the place where I wanted to purchase the sausage was closed yesterday.  I just used some sweet Italian sausage I had frozen in my freezer. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »
Katy bar the door...
Dang Norma, I sure know where to get good Sunday vittles next time I venture up North!   ;D
You're break'in my heart here woman.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
Katy bar the door...
Dang Norma, I sure know where to get good Sunday vittles next time I venture up North!   ;D
You're break'in my heart here woman.  :chef:

Bob,

Thanks!  :)  That was an easy meal with Les's sauce already made and the pasta was purchased the same day.  All I had to do was prepared the sausage and and cook the pasta for a few minutes.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
I have recently switched over to that fresh pasta like you have there Norma. Well, except for my beloved Kraft dinner...that will Nevah change  ;)

That fresh is some kind of good though.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
I have recently switched over to that fresh pasta like you have there Norma. Well, except for my beloved Kraft dinner...that will Nevah change  ;)

That fresh is some kind of good though.

Bob,

I agree that fresh pasta is a lot better.  ;D  Do you make your own pasta?  I never learned how to make pasta. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
Norma,
I make egg noodles once in a great while for my take on pepper steak (noodles instead of rice). It's not difficult but sort of a hassle. Pasta (semolina)noodles are a 'lil tricky I hear in getting them dried out correctly. The store bought fresh ones available now a days ars just fine for me thank you very much.  ;D  I can't keep up with my wish list as it is, but I'll bet you could make some mean home made pasta if you put your mind to it Norma.  8)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: September 10, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
Norma,
I make egg noodles once in a great while for my take on pepper steak (noodles instead of rice). It's not difficult but sort of a hassle. Pasta (semolina)noodles are a 'lil tricky I hear in getting them dried out correctly. The store bought fresh ones available now a days ars just fine for me thank you very much.  ;D  I can't keep up with my wish list as it is, but I'll bet you could make some mean home made pasta if you put your mind to it Norma.  8)

Bob,

I canít keep up with my wish list either.  I have enough of an addiction in trying different experiments with pizzas to keep me busy the rest of my life.  :-D  Probably the only time I would try making pasta is if someone purchased all the stuff I needed. 

I make home made pot pie squares and that is about as close as I will get to making pasta, unless I master pizza first.

Norma 

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #393 on: September 12, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
Mangular, the Mighty Malevolent Mulching Mower makes short work of the dried corn stalks.   8)

The tomato plants, except for the Matt's Wild Cherry, have ended up in the compost pile.  The pile itself will be shredded along with the leaves, sticks, dead plant tops, and everything else during general fall clean up time beginning late next month.   ;D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: September 12, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for the pictures of your mower  8) and your compost pile.   ;D

I still have some tomatoes and peppers getting ripe, but sure not as many as before.  I like fall, but hate to think of winter.  :(

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #395 on: September 12, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
I like fall, but hate to think of winter.  :(

It's a good time to visit Houston.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #396 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
It's a good time to visit Houston.  ;D

Craig,

Lol, when it gets colder here I agree!   ;D  For me, this is the bittersweet time of the year.  In past years I didn't mind winter at all, but since I am getting older, I dread winter more each year.  I guess your weather stays pretty warm though the winter. 

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #397 on: September 12, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
Craig,

Lol, when it gets colder here I agree!   ;D  For me, this is the bittersweet time of the year.  In past years I didn't mind winter at all, but since I am getting older, I dread winter more each year.  I guess your weather stays pretty warm though the winter.  

Norma

The first seven years I lived in this house, it never dropped below freezing. Living near the water helps. It freezes every year on the north side of town.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #398 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Lol, when it gets colder here I agree!   ;D  For me, this is the bittersweet time of the year.  In past years I didn't mind winter at all, but since I am getting older, I dread winter more each year. 

I know what you mean, Norma. I grew up in Montreal, and then lived in Toronto before moving to CT 10 years ago. I started to lose my taste for winter when I quit skiing and playing hockey in my early 20's, and my tolerance for winter has gone steadily downhill since then (and that was a looooong time ago). I tell people I moved here for the weather.  :-D But I never owned a snowblower until I moved here.

I was at the community garden today, and I don't know how much more I'm going to get from the tomato plants. The basil is pretty huge, and we'll process that once it gets a little colder. I think I'll use Bill's (I think) method of running it through the food processor with some EVOO and freezing it.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
The first seven years I lived in this house, it never dropped below freezing. Living near the water helps. It freezes every year on the north side of town.

Craig,

Thanks for explaining how the weather around Houston is.   :)  Sounds good to me.  Probably, next month sometime we will have our first freeze.  This morning I had to put a sweatshirt on to keep warm at home.  

Norma

pizzapan