Author Topic: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012  (Read 26148 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012
« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »
Don't forget to renew your sticker next month Norma.... :angel:

Bob,

Thanks for reminding me, but that is my daughters car, so she will have to worry about getting her car inspected.   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #441 on: October 14, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
Bob,

This is a picture of the little albino pumpkin you asked about on my Sicilian thread.  As can be seen it didnít grow much from the last time I posted a picture of it.  This is also a picture of some leftover basil that was hit by the frost and how it looked after one day.  The frost is killing all of my annual flowers and most of everything else in the garden.  There are a few peppers that are still okay that I will pick today.  Time to pull everything out of the garden.  :( 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #442 on: October 14, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »
Yeah, he sure didn't grow up did he. Looks about like the year I tried to grow watermelon and cataloupe here...got about as big as my fist and then just stopped.  >:(
I hope your basil you have going in the house works out for you Norma. I have quite a bit here and was thinking about doing that freeze into icecubes trick with them before our first frost comes here in NC.
Thanks for the pics.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
Yeah, he sure didn't grow up did he. Looks about like the year I tried to grow watermelon and cataloupe here...got about as big as my fist and then just stopped.  >:(
I hope your basil you have going in the house works out for you Norma. I have quite a bit here and was thinking about doing that freeze into icecubes trick with them before our first frost comes here in NC.
Thanks for the pics.  :chef:

Bob,

Nope, that little pumpkin sure didnít grow-up.  There were so many problems with those beetle bugs and I kept spraying with Neem, but I have no idea why the little pumpkin didnít grow much.  There were many flowers on the pumpkin vines, but no other pumpkins grew.  I never had any luck in growing watermelons or cantaloupes either. 

Two years ago I did have luck with cut basil growing in the house, but didnít bother last year.  I didnít freeze any of the basil, but did make some more pesto.  Good luck with your basil in you decide to freeze it in the ice cube trick.

Norma

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #444 on: October 19, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
A month on from planting out the glasshouse.  Plenty of fresh parsley and oregano already, still a ways to go before the tomatoes are taller than the herbs!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #445 on: October 19, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
Looking good, Double D. It's great to see someone starting up when we're in the process of putting our gardens to bed in this part of the world. One thing I'll be interested to see is how much working space you'll have when everything grows. It looks like it might get a bit cramped. Keep posting pictures.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #446 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »
A month on from planting out the glasshouse.  Plenty of fresh parsley and oregano already, still a ways to go before the tomatoes are taller than the herbs!

dylandylan,

Looks like all of your plants are healthy.  :)  I would like to see more pictures of your garden as it progresses too!

I am down to oregano, spearmint tea, chives and some parsley.  The frost already killed my other plants. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #447 on: October 19, 2012, 09:21:12 PM »
Looking good, Double D. It's great to see someone starting up when we're in the process of putting our gardens to bed in this part of the world. One thing I'll be interested to see is how much working space you'll have when everything grows. It looks like it might get a bit cramped. Keep posting pictures.

Barry
His setup looks quite roomy compared to my mess..... ;D

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #448 on: November 17, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
Another month gone, and the tomatoes are just starting to creep up past the herbs.  Loads of flat leaf parsley, oregano and cilantro being picked at the moment.  Not sure if the basil will really take hold, the nights just get too cool for it I'm suspecting.   Not sure that I'll be picking tomatoes for Christmas either, although a couple of plants are beginning to bud.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »
Another month gone, and the tomatoes are just starting to creep up past the herbs.  Loads of flat leaf parsley, oregano and cilantro being picked at the moment.  Not sure if the basil will really take hold, the nights just get too cool for it I'm suspecting.   Not sure that I'll be picking tomatoes for Christmas either, although a couple of plants are beginning to bud.

dylandylan,

You garden looks beautiful to me!  ;D  Thanks for posting a picture and telling us what is growing.  Since it is colder in our area it is interesting to see what a nice garden looks like now.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #450 on: March 12, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
Spring is right around the corner!!!  I think it's time for a new thread, Norma...   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #451 on: March 12, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »
Spring is right around the corner!!!  I think it's time for a new thread, Norma...   ;D
Hey PowerwagonPete!   8)
I'd like to try different tomatoes other than the usuals at Home Depot this year. Tomatoes are all I do(gf handles the other stuff)....you have a suggestion where I might purchase "the goods" ?
Oh, and please say hello to your lovely wife Ann for me.  :)

Bob

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #452 on: March 12, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
After the move, I'm going to make another attempt at hydroponic tomatoes. The last 4.... or was it 5?... attempts failed.  The last weren't too bad, but I need a better method of changing out the nutrient solution so I don't kill the roots when I do it.  I'm thinking I may switch to an aeroponic fogging system which will (hopefully) allow me no never disturb the roots at all....

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #453 on: March 12, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »
"aeroponic fogging system"...... ???
Johnnie, say it ain't so man!     You're not giving up that beautiful 747 to become....a crop duster!!  :o

Bob

Sorry John, confused you with Scott d for a moment.....you are the helicopter pilot guy. I've seen those out fitted for crop dusting in Texas though too.  :)
Awesome...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:11:52 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #454 on: March 12, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
747?  I think you may be getting  your pilots mixed up.  The only time I was on a 747 was when I was back in the cattle car going from London to Phoenix...   :D

The idea of the flogging system is to use an ultrasonic vaporizer to create a "dry mist" of the nutrient solution, then pipe it over to the bucket holding the plant.  According to my reading, using mist as the nutrient delivery makes for a more robust root system.  So, when I go to remove the "spent" liquid that collects at the bottom of the bucket, I can do it quickly, minimizing the root disturbance. I may even be able to pump it out eliminating the disturbance altogether....   ;D

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #455 on: March 12, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
I think that's a Bell 212 in the picture (if I remember my choppers right).  Highly thought of bird in the rotorhead community.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: March 12, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »

Pete,

I know spring is right around the corner.  I also think it is time for a new thread.  I see things starting to pop out of the ground, which makes me really happy.   ;D  What are you growing this year in your garden?

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #457 on: March 15, 2013, 12:10:58 AM »
Spring is here. My tomatoes have been in the ground for 2 weeks.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #458 on: March 15, 2013, 12:23:46 AM »
Spring is here. My tomatoes have been in the ground for 2 weeks.  ;D

Craig,

You are so lucky to live in a area that has much warmer weather than we have.  I sure wish it was warm enough to start growing stuff again, but I will have to wait.  What types of tomatoes did plant?

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #459 on: March 15, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
Some grape, little pears, a couple different heirlooms, and a yellow variety I forget the name of. 
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan