Author Topic: brier hill stlyle youngstown ohio  (Read 1761 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
brier hill stlyle youngstown ohio
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
 i was visiting my brother a pastor in Youngstown Ohio. his parish does a pizza called brier hill style. breier hill is a strong Italian  neighborhood.it is made round square thick and medium thickness. the thing they all have in common is the sauce.it is cooked and contains oregano ,garlic,onion,and green peppers.the brier hill sauce that i liked the most was one with the green peppers taking a very minor roll. they gave the sauce a flavor that you couldn't recognize the spice, but it was different and quite delicious.so i used my standard dough and whipped up a couple of them.anyone familiar with this style of pizza

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: brier hill stlyle youngstown ohio
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
one more

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »
Larry,
That is a great looking pie. I have never heard of "Brier Hills style" but it definitely looks like a S. Italian sq. pie. In fact, the sauce recipe sounds very similar to the one used by our OSIA chapter. I really like how soft and pillow-like the crust looks. It reminds me a lot of the Sicilian's I see at the various Saints festivals here in the Midwest. Great job.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Killmeyer000

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »
Yes, I am very familiar.  I grew up very close to St. Anthony's...and I walked along Yellow Creek from Hamilton Lake, where the Briar Hill Furnace still stands (or did 20 years ago when I lived there).  The classic Briar Hill that I remember had a medium-thick crust with quite a bit of sauce, with green, and sometimes red peppers cut in slivers in the sauce...and only had shake-cheese on it, maybe a parmesan/romano mix.  Very good.  Your pizza looks delicious, by the way.

I remember going over friend's houses and tasting their Grandma's pizza.  Many times it was just dough from Schwebel's bakery...sold two per package...for the crust...then press into a rectangle pan.  The Grandmas sometimes would cut garlic into slices, and press it directly into the crust...to make a sort of garlic bread crust.  Then just a light smear of home made sauce (made from Redpack tomatoes that I can't find where I live now), and light cheese...probably mozz and provolone mix...sometimes a little white cheddar...and sometimes a little sprinkle cheese.  This was more of a sicilian style.

Could really go for a slice of sicilian from Bruno Bros. or from Salvatore's right now.  Used to like The Elmton Pizza...and Wedgewood in Austintown too.

pizzapan