Author Topic: Kenji Lopez Stove Neapolitan Method  (Read 2868 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: Kenji Lopez Stove Neapolitan Method
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
Jeff, Good luck with that idea, I found in my experiments that the steel plate was too conductive and the bottoms burned.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13610.0
the original oven   
http://inventorspot.com/articles/stovetop_ceramic_pizza_oven_bake_9872
Don

At around 700 I get a nice sub 60 second result with my plate, but I've yet to find a method to deliver the top heat in that time, so that's what my little oven setup idea was trying to address.  I personally love the conductivity of the steel, it's more energy efficient IMHO.
-Jeff

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
So both you and her have done this method, as it's laid out, with a temp-gun?  ::)

Listen, you may have tried once to cook a pie on your burner, but I'm 99% certain it wasn't exactly like this. Just because it's cooked on a burner doesn't make it this method, and I'd ask for anyone to reserve judgment until they actually try it. That's why we're here, to try things and see how they work. Well, none of us have tried this yet, and it's here incase someone wants to, and I'll eventually get around to it myself.

For now, my early, warm weather spring has been consumed with tweaking home-made mexican food and pairing it with good beer!

When my father was a kid in the mid 50's his family spent a summer living in an apartment in connecticut while my grandfather was working there.  He has told me many times about the old Italian woman in the building who would make them pizza.  Guess how she cooked it?  In a pan on her stove top.  I doubt she had a time machine....

I've had my steel plate for about 6 months, before that I was using a cast iron pan preheated on the stove top then finished under the broiler.  When I got my iwatani one of my first thoughts was to use it in place of the broiler, and believe it or not that's what I did.

I'm totally behind finding a method similar to this that will work, I simply reported my results using a torch, I'm not sure why you are taking such issue with it?

buceriasdon

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »
As I don't have a cast iron skillet I won't be able to repeat the process as called out but I do hope someone does give it a try. In many parts of the world kitchens do not have ovens so this shows quite a bit of promise to those without one. I'm not sure my teflon skillet will work but I'm game for experimenting.
Don
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:50:01 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline toddster63

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
As I don't have a cast iron skillet I won't be able to repeat the process as called out but I do hope someone does give it a try. In many parts of the world kitchens do not have ovens so this shows quite a bit of promise to those without one. I'm not sure my teflon skillet will work but I'm game for experimenting.
Don

Be careful, Don, Teflon and non-stick surfaces are a NO-NO at temps over 500F! Closer to 600F, they can be downright toxic-dangerous...!

buceriasdon

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
Exactly my concern also with teflon coatings.
Don

Offline toddster63

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »
Don, you really should get yourself either cast iron or carbon steel cookware! I'd be lost without my French carbon steel skillets and my Griswold cast iron. Best way to cook meats and for frying things—crab cakes to zucchini. Adds so much flavor, and now cooks pizza on the flip side, such joy!