Author Topic: Classico Puree  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Chet

Classico Puree
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »

Made some pizza today, tried a can of Classico Puree, just added some oregano, garlic salt & basil and 1/2 tsp sugar, guest did like the sauce. so a thumbs up for Classico Puree.

Chet

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Classico Puree
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »
I've used all the Classico products except the whole tomatoes. Ground, crushed and puree all have great flavor, each has it's own unique texture.

Offline mykall

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
Last night I used the Classico Pear tomatoes.  I was not impressed.  The crushed are basically 6 in 1 and are excellent.   I did not find the pear tomatoes hearty enough for pizza.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:41 AM »
@mykall

I have often found the same result when using whole tomatoes that are packed by domestic companies. I have a theory why this is so, but I'm not going to go into that right now. I have a couple of cans of Classico pear tomatoes which I haven't opened yet, but will do do soon. I've had the same feeling about another favorite tomatoes of mine, Sclafani. There crushed tomatoes are excellent for topping pizza, their whole tomatoes are nowhere near as good. Stick with crushed or ground tomatoes with domestic tomatoes and I think you get the best of what they have to offer.

Offline mykall

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »
DMcav,

Agree, however I've seen much better results on this site than I've gotten using whole tomatoes and not sure how they
do it or if it's the brand they're using.  One result I saw was achieved using the nameless white can with the orange San Marzano's around the can that are actually a product of the US.  I think the co. is Simpson importers even though it states
that the San Marzis are U.S. grown.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
DMcav,

Agree, however I've seen much better results on this site than I've gotten using whole tomatoes and not sure how they
do it or if it's the brand they're using.  One result I saw was achieved using the nameless white can with the orange San Marzano's around the can that are actually a product of the US.  I think the co. is Simpson importers even though it states
that the San Marzis are U.S. grown.

That "cheater" nameless brand you mention was just recently discussed and they are probably the only exception to what dmcavanagh has explained!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mykall

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
@mykall

I have often found the same result when using whole tomatoes that are packed by domestic companies. I have a theory why this is so, but I'm not going to go into that right now.

I'd sure like to hear your theory.  In the case of the Classico I can almost assure you that from what I've tasted the crushed do not seem to even be the same tomatoes. 

pizzapan