Author Topic: VPN Certification  (Read 1393 times)

Offline borger4902

• Midwest Neopolitan
VPN Certification
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »
VPN Certification. Whats everyones thoughts on it? I know they have a new official and the standards have been tightened by Italy to up the reputation.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: VPN Certification
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:12:49 AM »
If they actually taught you to make a great Neapolitan pizza it might be worth something.  As is, it is a Girl Scout badge.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
If you do a quick search you'll find what most peoples opinion about the VPN.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
As is, it is a Girl Scout badge.

Now THAT is funny stuff!

I agree, it is nothing more than a badge. Like being a business and being a member of the chamber of commerce. The VPN status says nothing about your pizza making ability, and the public at large could generally care less.

John

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:44 AM »
I think Jeff Varasano said it best in a recent video which was linked here on Pizzamaking. If you are going to go strictly by VPN standards then you are limited by those standards. No leeway to be creative or original, you're painted into the corner by VPN "rules".

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
the public at large could generally care less.

I wonder if this is correct? Folks like us who know what it does and does not mean generally don't care, but I'm not so sure the general public is not influenced at least a little. Many places with the certification certainly market the heck out of it. Reviews and write-ups on VPN certified restaurants usually note it prominently and often imply or outright state that it assures quality and authenticity. Consumers continuously look for help in making buying decisions thats why positive reviews, certifications, word of mouth, etc. can really matter.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
I think Jeff Varasano said it best in a recent video which was linked here on Pizzamaking. If you are going to go strictly by VPN standards then you are limited by those standards. No leeway to be creative or original, you're painted into the corner by VPN "rules".

I don't think that's a fair or even an accurate assessment. The standards would put some limits on certain pies, but they do not limit you from being creative or original with the rest of your pies. The standard does not prohibit you from doing things not addressed in the standard. I don't see how it paints you into a corner. 

I'm not promoting VPN nor am I a fan for that matter. Rather I'm trying to be objective. Personally, I think places should focus on their pies - not on letters.

Offline borger4902

• Midwest Neopolitan
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »
Look at Anthony Mangieri for instance. I doubt seriously certification would back him into any corners. I was told you must even have spiral mixers now and if you aren't cooking under 90sec you don't pass. Someone also mentioned that Roberto Capiruscio was doing something with them to control quality as well?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
Yes, the VPN only applies to 3 or 4 particular pizzas, anything else you make is not "VPN certified" but that does not mean you can't make what ever you want.

Offline borger4902

• Midwest Neopolitan
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
Yes, I'm pretty sure Keste's is VPN since Roberto its the VpN president and they have many variations.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
Yes, I'm pretty sure Keste's is VPN since Roberto its the VpN president and they have many variations.

Roberto is the president of APN (Associazione Pizzaiuoli Napoletani) - not VPN.

Offline borger4902

• Midwest Neopolitan
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
Check out page 4 on the left column. They must have gotten this wrong. I have heard it from a Stefano oven rep too though.

http://www.marcoscoalfiredpizza.com/press/PizzaToday_ALL.pdf

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 04:12:01 PM »
When I am traveling to a new place I use VPN as a starting grounds for finding a pizza place. It's helpful to me find the places and then I do some additional research. I mean sure if I am in NY or SF I'm not going to use it. But a while ago I had one night to try a place in Dallas last minute and just looked on the VPN list then checked out their pies and went.

pizzapan