Author Topic: Lard in dough?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
Lard in dough?
« on: May 16, 2012, 02:06:59 AM »
So, I look at the various dough recipes, well some of them, it will take years just to read all the ones listed in the forum.  Some use oil, many don't.  I'm wondering if any one has tried lard?  I'm getting ready to make some at home.  I plan to use it for pie crusts, as part of a roux (normally butter and flour as thickener), and so forth.  But reading a couple of the thin and crackery dough threads, I was wondering if a very light brushing of lard might not enhance the "lamination" effect of crust?  Particularly where the dough is run through some sort of sheeter, like the Kitchen Aid pasta unit.  Just a thought.  I can't really play with it until I get a cutter plate here, but I may try it when we make pizza dough for our thin crust (American style, I guess) dough.

Lard was used long before Crisco and other oils such as Canola and so on.  It is supposed to offer a unique and pleasant taste.  I will know more about that after we make it.  Probably next month, since our food plan for this month is pretty well set. But if others have already played with it, I'd love to hear their experiences or thoughts.   
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Lard in dough?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »
Tatoosh,

I did try some lards in dough.  If you are interested at Reply 925 I posted about lard. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg177483.html#msg177483  I also used Manteca in different doughs. 

You might want to also look at this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17558.0.html

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:43:27 AM »
Thank you for the links!  I did a search on the word "lard" but got no hits.  What did you use for your search term to find the threads?  

Oops ... adding this later ... after reading about some of your discussion using lard in other threads.  What is your assessment of it?  Did it add flavor to the pizza dough or detract from it?  

I've been reading about some different techniques in making lard, which is my plan.  If the pork fat is left to crisp and turn brown in the rendered oil, the lard picks up a "chicharon" flavor, they say.  If the oil is removed before the pork fat becomes brown and turns into cracklin's, the rendered lard has much less of that.  

I got started on my lard project as part of my "better hamburger" project.  Some better grade Australian beef has come on the market here recently but it is pretty lean.  A good burger needs some grease and nothing is quite like the grease of a pig.  I started out using bacon fat and bacon itself, basically ground up.  It did add some very nice flavor and juiciness to the burger.  However, some of the bacon fat ends up as obvious white bits in the burger.  I'm after removing those but keeping the juicy flavor of the burger.  

So if it is laying around the kitchen and I'm hot on my pizza project ... well, you get the drift.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:20:52 AM by Tatoosh »
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »

I did a search on the word "lard" but got no hits.  What did you use for your search term to find the threads?

Tatoosh,

I usually can recall where either Peter or I might have posted about something, so I used the Advanced Search feature on the forum with whatever words I am looking for and either use Pete-zza or my screen name in the advanced search.

You can also go to the bottom of the main page and use the Google search.  When I typed in lard, this is what the search turned up. The Google search turned up 10 pages.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-8699494821870730%3A9998332758&ie=UTF-8&q=lard&siteurl=www.pizzamaking.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php&ref=www.pizzamaking.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C19200.0%2Ftopicseen.html#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=lard&gsc.page=1

Norma

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »
Well, look at that.  I used the search, but not the "advanced search" which made a ton of difference in the return.  Thank you!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Well, look at that.  I used the search, but not the "advanced search" which made a ton of difference in the return.  Thank you!

Tatoosh,

You (and others) may also want to keep in mind that the forum's search features will not work with words with an apostrophe s. For example, if you use, say, Papa John's, you will not get any hits. You have to use Papa John without the apostrophe s. Hopefully the next version of the forum software will correct that.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »
Tatoosh,

I liked the manteca lard in some of my doughs.  I thought manteca added a nice taste to the crust.  I would like to do more experiments with using different lards, but right now am busy doing other experiments. 

Good luck to you in doing experiments with lard or pork fat.  You should get some interesting results.  ;D

I donít know if anyone else might think a sticky might be useful for new members or even older members that might want to search or use the features of this forum, but in my opinion that would be helpful.  I even have problems sometimes searching or trying to use some of the features of the forum.

Norma

Peter,

You are right that apostrophe s canít be used in the forumís search features.  Thanks for mentioning that.

Norma

pizzapan