Author Topic: bay state milling organic bread flour  (Read 1919 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
bay state milling organic bread flour
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »
  has anyone used this for neapolitan pizza? i tried it over the week end in a direct comparison to caputo. the two flours were mixed exactly the same. i baked one of each as close to the same oven temperature as possible.i used 825 floor as my target temperature. the dough was 60 percent hydration 48 hours of cold fermentation.it rested at room temperature for 2 hours. the dough was very wet and needed a lot of bench flour to work it.it stretched very easily and was nice to work with. both doughs cooked up nice with the bay state having more of a coal look to it. i do not know if the flour was malted,the bag lists the only ingredient as organic flour so probably not.the texture of both was nice and tender with bay state being a little softer.flavor, bay state good caputo better. caputo has a different taste to it. it may be their wheat blend or that it was the first flour i used for neo pizza and is what i associate with a neapolitan pizza.it also cooks more like i think it should look.  pictures first three bay state last three caputo

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:20:37 PM by thezaman »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: bay state milling organic brad flour
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
sorry spinach pie same this is bay state pizza

parallei

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
"brad" flour......

Bread Flour or Brand Flour?

They have a mill about 45 minutes north of here.  I've used their organic and conventional HG flours for breads.  They are priced right when picked up at their facility and work well for breads.  I've not used HG flours for pizza in quite awhile.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: bay state milling organic bread flour
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »
 sorry it is bread flour.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
Larry - I have not used their bread flour, but I was lucky enough to test a 00 Caputo Pizzeria clone that they are just releasing for the commercial market. I have another bag coming soon and I will post a review here. My initial impression is that their clone performs just as well as caputo 00.

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »
 well i have to apologize i didn't do a very good job of recording my pizza. seems i have doubled some of the same prints. i guess that shows how close the two are in performance. sorry for the f-up. :( .

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »
They Look great to Me ! I would be interested in the 00 clone for sure
how do I get a sample?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
 john,i will get a sample sent to you. it is not organic.11.00 to 11.2 protein. any others interested pm today, i will see if they will ship samples to you.

Offline Trianon

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
They Look great to Me ! I would be interested in the 00 clone for sure
how do I get a sample?
John

You are going to cheat on Caputo? No waaaaaaay...

Hihhihhi ... just kidding

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza

Offline etheil

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
I own a mobile wood fired oven and have been using the Bay State Milling Columbine flour since last May. Is that the flour you're referring to? It also goes by the name of Aspen. Their higher protein (~13%) organic bread flour is called Boulder. The columbine flour has worked great for me and I love the fact that it's organic and milled here in Colorado (the mill used to be called Rocky Mountain Milling.) I use a small amount of fresh yeast, 62-63% hydration and a 12-18 hour bulk fermentation. I was sometimes able to use the dough the same day, but would usually ball and refrigerate for use the next day (logistical reasons.) The flavors of the finished crust were complex and the extended fermentation brought out a lot more browning as opposed to leoparding, which was exactly what I was going for. I also operate my oven at slightly lower temps with the floor around 700 degrees.

However, I noticed that in September or October of last year, the flour started requiring much more water to reach the same consistency, sometimes upwards of 65%. I also noticed that breads I baked had a tighter crumb and the dough became a little less extensible. It was explained to me that it probably had something to do with the growing cycle of wheat and that they had to switch to a different source to get them through winter (happens with all mills.) So, I have reluctantly been experimenting with other flours since I haven't yet seen the consistency from last summer.

I was lucky enough to get a sample of their 00 clone as well. It's called Contadino and is supposed to be available some time next month I think. When I tested it, the feel was the same as Caputo, but the finished crust lacked the flavor of the Columbine flour. The only way I can describe it is that the Contadino had a good initial taste and then disappeared, while the Columbine had a flavor that evolved.

thezaman

If you're using the columbine flour, can you check the date on the bag you have and let me know when it was milled? It's encouraging to hear that the flour mixed to a wet consistency at 60%.

Thanks,

Eric

scott123

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »
Larry, those look great.  I'm especially liking the look of the cheese on the first pie.  That is a sight to behold.

I'm not sure it's necessary, but you might want to try a hydration that's a bit more appropriate for that amount of protein.  For 11%, that could be as low as 56% hydration, although I might try 58% and see how it works out for you.

Were these all typical sub 90 sec Neapolitan bakes?

I'd like to see a falling value for this. I bet it's lower than Caputo- maybe not low enough to show any real gluten degradation, but still low enough to produce some additional enzyme derived residual sugar.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:46:44 AM by scott123 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
 eric,the product i used was the organic essentials bread flour. it is one level below the high gluten. it mixed identical to the caputo. after two hours at room temperature they were both extremely . if i was doing a same day dough i would up the water.

scott, i am not sure of the bay state but it is probably low 12 %.i find organic flour a little weak.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
followup with bay state milling on their new flour and the only information on the makeup is a protein level of 11.2 percent.they did not know the falling numbers. they also had the protein level for the bread flour which was 11.4 percent. bay state confirmed that their was no malted barley in the organic.i used the rest of what i had this weekend performed well.

parallei

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
For you Colorado Front Range folks - You can purchase the Bay State Milling products, on a cash and carry basis, at their mill at:

400 Platte Street  Platteville, CO 80651
888-785-7636

I've only bought 50# bags there and am not sure if they sell smaller volumes at the mill.

Offline etheil

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »
followup with bay state milling on their new flour and the only information on the makeup is a protein level of 11.2 percent.they did not know the falling numbers. they also had the protein level for the bread flour which was 11.4 percent. bay state confirmed that their was no malted barley in the organic.i used the rest of what i had this weekend performed well.

The pizza looks awesome! 

Always love to see people using something other than Caputo flour; there are some great companies here in the US that create wonderful flour for this style of pizza.

Eric

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
Thats for sure. the organic sperry bread flour from general mills has been rockin my world!