Author Topic: knife and fork?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline pizza dr

knife and fork?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
I went to this cool place in Vancouver BC a couple of weeks ago.  Nicli.  They had it going on with the huge Acunto oven and what appeared to be some very fresh ingredients.  Buffalo Mozz, fresh basil and herbs growing in pots  Good wine list. Great Service etc etc etc...

I was watching the pizzaiolo the whole time... no wasted movements.  Fun to watch if you know what I mean. 

Then they brought out my pizza ( I was sitting at the bar) on a plate with a knife and fork.  The waitress said "dig in".  I was a little taken back.  I started looking around the pie for lacerations... none.  When the waitress said "dig in"... she really meant it. 

So I had a cheap serrated knife and a fork to get after this beautiful pie.  I have to admit I didn't know how to start.  So my first instinct was to  treat the knife just like I would a pizza cutter and put some triangles in this thing.  By the time I got finished I was really mad at myself.  I took a beautiful pie and turned into something that looked as if a dog got a hold of it. 

The pie sure was tasty and overall I loved my experience but oh how I wish they would have spent 20 more seconds to cut the thing up. 

Am I off base here or is this my fault and I should know how to cut a freaking pizza with a knife!

Scot

Offline TXCraig1

Re: knife and fork?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »
Ive been to a few places like this as well. It's my understanding that this is common in Naples. I'm with you in that I also prefer it cut for me.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
So how do you cut it with a standard steak knife and a fork?

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »

It is typical in Europe to be served the pie intact on a plate or round wooden cutting board with a knife and fork.  To eat with your hands in Europe is considered vulgar, hence no need to cut into slices.  Just cut into bite size pieces and enjoy.

Bob

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »
I usually cut the thing in half, and then start from one corner  :)

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
I went to this cool place in Vancouver BC a couple of weeks ago.  Nicli.  They had it going on with the huge Acunto oven and what appeared to be some very fresh ingredients.  Buffalo Mozz, fresh basil and herbs growing in pots  Good wine list. Great Service etc etc etc...

I was watching the pizzaiolo the whole time... no wasted movements.  Fun to watch if you know what I mean.  

Then they brought out my pizza ( I was sitting at the bar) on a plate with a knife and fork.  The waitress said "dig in".  I was a little taken back.  I started looking around the pie for lacerations... none.  When the waitress said "dig in"... she really meant it.  

So I had a cheap serrated knife and a fork to get after this beautiful pie.  I have to admit I didn't know how to start.  So my first instinct was to  treat the knife just like I would a pizza cutter and put some triangles in this thing.  By the time I got finished I was really mad at myself.  I took a beautiful pie and turned into something that looked as if a dog got a hold of it.  

The pie sure was tasty and overall I loved my experience but oh how I wish they would have spent 20 more seconds to cut the thing up.  

Am I off base here or is this my fault and I should know how to cut a freaking pizza with a knife!

Scot

This is how we serve it as well.  We do, however, offer the option to have it cut.  We provide high end steak knives which prevents tearing and messing up the pizza.  I think that you would of enjoyed it more if they provided the proper cutlery.

Matt

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »
Matt

Whats the deal with serving pizza that is not cut.  Traditional? And if so... Why? 

Scot

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:11:15 AM »
Matt

Whats the deal with serving pizza that is not cut.  Traditional? And if so... Why? 

Scot

It's traditional in the sense that real Pizza Napoletana was a street food & was never served by the slice; it was served whole & was folded in 4 "al portfolio".  Also, real Neapolitan pizza is quite wet & the crust is very soft.  When sliced, the crust "typically" does not have the integrity to stand alone and hold the ingredients.

Matt

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
Took me a long time to try eating pizza folded up into quarters,  turns out it is a great experience.  One night here,  I made a bunch of pizza and have pictures of my friends eating their own pizzas this way.   It was great,  serving sizes were perfect too.   The flavors mix together nicely.  -Marc

scott123

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
I've actually figured out a few things relating to folding in recent years. If you take a bite out of a slice with the sauce/cheese on the top, the sauce/cheese make greater contact with your taste buds, which, in turn, gives you greater sauce/cheese flavor. If, on the other hand, you fold the slice, the first flavors you get are crust, and, because the crust starts breaking down/releasing it's starch, you never really get the same taste impact from the sauce/cheese.  Now, on Neapolitan, the crust/char can be the start player, so maybe someone might want to maximize crust flavor by eating the pizza folded, but, at the end of the day, I think it should really be about balance, and the most balanced tasting bite of pizza is sauce/cheese up.

Folding is a very utilitarian method for portability, but, for those that can sit and eat pizza, non folded pizza is a more flavorful experience. This is why I don't eat calzones.

And my thoughts on folding expand across all styles.  The bulk of NYers fold their pizza.  I grew up folding my pizza.  If you really close your eyes and savor the flavors, though, you see that folding robs you of part of the experience.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:09:02 PM by scott123 »

Offline PortMoodyFoodie

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
I go to Nicli almost every week, it is a great experience!  I just got back from seattle went to 3 pizzerias and none of them were cut.  I actually prefer it whole, and I usually cut the cornicione first and then just tear away!

Danny

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 02:12:58 AM »
One of my favorite things about pizza is eating it with my hands. But if the pizza is especially soggy, then some sort of eating utensil is usually required, although simply making one cut along the middle of the pie and then folding a half into a quarter usually works. I've heard of people folding the entire pizza in half, but even for a small pie that seems like a big bite.