Author Topic: The Atlanta pizza wars  (Read 1482 times)

Offline David Deas

The Atlanta pizza wars
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
As some of you may know there are a few artisan pizza restaurants in Atlanta in healthy competition with one another.  

Varasano's, Antico, Fritti, and Fucco do Napoli all compete for that top designation of best pizza in Atlanta.  

Antico is currently leading the pack, but there have been some interesting legal events recently:

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/04/20/review-follow-up-antico-pizza-sues-fuoco-di-napoli-and-details-on-liberato%E2%80%99s-departure/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:38:53 AM by David Deas »

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
Re: The Atlanta pizza wars
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »
Silly.  I'm glad I have my own WFO and learning how to make pies. I won't miss standing in line for pies anymore. 

btw, STG Trattoria, with 2 Acunto ovens, just opened a mile a way from Fuoco. 

so we have the following Neapolitan places in town

Antico
Fuoco di Napoli
Fritti
Double 00
Sapori di Napoli
STG Trattoria
246 (they make NP pies in an Acunto oven too)
Baraonda (? NPish)

Offline David Deas

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
Staking claims on the Diavola was a bit much for me.  Antico's Diavola is great stuff, but the pizza Diavola is pretty standard fare inside a Neapolitan pizzeria.

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »
I got to try STG Trattoria today.  It's a good pie.  The crust very light and excellent blisters.  The flavor was ok but could use a bit more fermentation (I was an early customer for the day so the dough was still young).  For those folks who frequented Antico during the good old days (before the bad stuff came out), they will see a familiar face: Nicola.  I got to talk to him a bit.  It turns out Antico has replaced pretty much of the original pizzaiolos including Luca whom I thought was the main guy responsible for the good pies there.  I hope he finds a new home in many of the many Neapolitan pizza places that are opening up in Atlanta.  Looks like another one is opening up: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2012/03/23/two-brothers-have-a-new-twist-on.html?page=all

Offline David Deas

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
Is there an artesian pizza bubble?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Its Blowin up for sure David
There are new importers and distibutors of "italian " pizza ovens and equipment  opening all ,along with Several New mobile WFO  builders that are also spurting up around the country to grab a "slice" of this quickly  growing market . The big green truckin Ct.  has 3 trucks now with 2 parties/ events 11 and 6pm  booked for each day. !!
Bubble ? I would  say yes !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »
Is there an artesian pizza bubble?

Alon's in Dunwoody now has a WFO and is serving up Neapolitan-ish pies.