Author Topic: Novice pizza - really good !!  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Novice pizza - really good !!
« on: September 25, 2005, 12:43:02 PM »

SAUCE
one 15 oz can Muir Glen whole peeled Tomatoes - purchase at the local Dollar store 2/$1

1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Salt (OR LESS)
1/4 Tsp. crushed red pepper

Drain the tomatoes, put in blender with spices as above - about 4-5 seconds "blend" and its done

DOUGH
3 cups bread flour (says bread flour on bag - what's ever on sale)
1 teaspoon rapid rise yeast (the kind that comes three packs together)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar or a little honey
1 teaspoon olive oil
8-9 oz cold water out of my water cooler

I put everything in the bread making machine and start the cycle (just dough cycle, no heat)

when it looks like all the ingredients are mixed I slowly add the water (maybe 1 within 1 minute of starting).

When the water is all in I let the machine knead for about 3-4 minutes with the lid open (longer and no voids- longer  and dough has the consistency of bread dough).

Take the dough out, form a ball, put in a zip-lock bag sprayed with some PAM, put in the refrigerator overnight.

Pull the dough out, let it come to room temp (say) 2 hours and put it in a pizza pan.

ASSEMBLY:

I pan the dough

put sliced Italian soft cheese on dough from the super-market deli section

put sauce as above on the sliced cheese, which is already placed on the crust

put three cloves of garlic, smashed with large knife blade then chopped fine, on sauce (speed evenly)

I sprinkle about a tsp of oregano evenly next over the entire pie

put pepperoni on the pie (10-15 slices, depending on taste)

Put pie in oven for about 10-12 minutes on low shelf @ 500*

Pull pizza out, sprinkle hard cheese (3-4 tablespoons) and a little mozzarella cheese over entire pie, put back in oven on high self for 2 minutes or so

Pull pie out of oven

Put pie on wire rack for about 15-20 minutes to cool, slice and eat

This is great "Youngstown Ohio" type pizza, but not for the weak of heart if you don't like garlic (which can be adjusted to taste).

enjoy

Richard

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Novice pizza - really good !!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 04:32:56 PM »
Richard,

Your recipe seems to be one that has been very well thought out. It looks to be well balanced from a baker's percent standpoint and, together with the 24-hour fermentation, you should get a well-flavored crust. There is a simplicity to your entire process that is very appealing, especially for one with a breadmaking machine and not a lot of time to spend on making pizzas.

I was most interested in reading about how you use your breadmaking machine, especially being able to use the dough cycle without heat, a short knead cycle (which keeps the heat down) and keeping the lid open (which is a suggestion that fellow member Artale also gave the forum some time ago). I read recently that one of the Breadman machines has both a bread dough setting and a pizza dough setting. This suggests that they draw a distinction between the characteristics of the two types of doughs.

You mentioned using a soft Italian cheese from the deli. Which cheese is that?

You also mentioned using a pan, which I take to mean a pan and not a screen or disk. Were you able to get adequate browning of the bottom crust or did you remove the pizza from the pan when you returned the partially-baked pizza to the oven?

Maybe next time you can post some photos if that is an option for you.

Peter

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Novice pizza - really good !!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 06:13:29 PM »
The machine is a large "wel bilt" bread making machine. The machines element does not heat during the kneading cycle. There are no switches to throw to make it do this, just the way this particular machine works. I believe it starts to heat after the kneading cycle, so its great for my pizza dough use. The machine is not used for anything else.

At first when I made this particular dough recipe I would let the machine knead for 10 minutes after the ingredients combine into a ball. I read here to get larger voids less kneading was required. I cut the kneading time down to less than five minutes and the dough became outstanding. Nice height after the baking process starts (1/2" +/-), which I didn't get with the 10 minute kneading, and really nice voids (if that's what there are called). Changing the kneading time from 10 minutes to 5 minutes or a little less completely changed the character of my pizza dough for the better.

The soft cheese I use on the crust is provolone, cut thin at the deli section of my market, the thinner the better. A blend of romano and mozzarella is sprinkled on the pie with approximately two minutes remaining in the bake process.

The pan I use is a 16" aluminum pan with holes in it.

To get the bottom very brown and crispy (which is what my family likes) I do take the pizza from the pan and put it directly on the oven rack. I do this after I pull the pie from the oven for its last cheese application with about 2 minutes to go.  A heat resistant cooking glove with fingers is really handy for that process.

After the 2 minutes I open the door and use a pizza tool my son made in cub scouts years ago (its a 1" flat stick approximately 12" long, about 1/2" wide with a notch slant cut in the top near its end and a "V" cut in its end) - the notch is slick for pulling oven racks out and the "V" works great for sliding them back in. This stick is also great for sliding the pie back onto the pan to remove it from the oven.

I do have a digital camera, but have no idea how to upload photo's. I try to figure it out and upload some scans of my pies and the cub scout pizza tool (its really a great tool).

Richard

pizzapan