Author Topic: First DD Chi-Pie in 3 years...  (Read 1558 times)

Offline mykall

First DD Chi-Pie in 3 years...
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
and not what I imagined it would be.  Still it tasted pretty good.  I would never attempt another 14" again w/o conquering a few 8-10 inchers first. Just got a delivery from Pizza tools and what do you know it's a 8" DD pan and server.  How did that happen???   Still struggle a little with the dough but not as bad as an Neo or Ny pie.  I didn't get the sides where I wanted them and I was surprised at how much the bottom rose from how thin it seemed.   And next time I will not forget the sausage!  Whose sig. is it that has "always learning" in it ??

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: First DD Chi-Pie in 3 years...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »
!  Whose sig. is it that has "always learning" in it ??

I believe that would be Norma, mykall.

Your pie looks good...but remember, that area where the bottom of the pan meets it's side is notorious for giving a bread blob...pinch it in there as tight as ya can.
Which dough recipe are you using?   

Keep at it...you're doing good/  Have you tried drained whole tomatoes yet?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »

Bob,

I use "Always learning" as part of my avatar. In her signature, Norma uses "Always working and looking for new information!" A new member rcbaughn (Cory) uses "Learning happens everyday".

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
mykall,

Your pie looks very good!   :)

I think we are all learning on the forum.  With each experiment someone does, it always teaches anyone that is interested something. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mykall

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »

Your pie looks good...but remember, that area where the bottom of the pan meets it's side is notorious for giving a bread blob...pinch it in there as tight as ya can.
Which dough recipe are you using?   

Keep at it...you're doing good/  Have you tried drained whole tomatoes yet?

Bob

Bob, thanks and that dense corner is where my desired higher sides should have come from.  I didn't have any semolina so I had to use a recipe that didn't call for any. 
The one I found at realdeepdish.com was a downloadable Adobe file which is handy for reference because I revisited the site and can't find it again.  It produced what
I think is a very good DD crust and w/o semolina or cornmeal.  Where do you find semolina anyway?  No luck today at 3 stores.

I'm still in tomato experimentation mode and am open to any brand suggestions.  The Classico crushed I used for this pie are identical to 6 in 1 and at $1.77/28oz can are
a steal.  I've only seen these at Walmart. 

Offline mykall

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
mykall,

Your pie looks very good!   :)

I think we are all learning on the forum.  With each experiment someone does, it always teaches anyone that is interested something. 

Norma

Thanks Norma!  Next DD will be on 8" real estate, much easier to cover than that 14".   I've tried downloading your Sicilian but it doesn't work.  :-D  It reminds me so much of a long gone pizzeria from my youth only yours looks better!  My 2 cents....I think you should offer that pie to your customers.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
Thanks Norma!  Next DD will be on 8" real estate, much easier to cover than that 14".   I've tried downloading your Sicilian but it doesn't work.  :-D  It reminds me so much of a long gone pizzeria from my youth only yours looks better!  My 2 cents....I think you should offer that pie to your customers.

mykall,

Your 8 might be easier.  You did well though.  Good luck on your next bake!  :)

Did you try to get the formulation for the Sicilian on the Sicilian thread?  Thanks for saying it looks good.  I am going to try and sell it to customers.

Norma

Offline mykall

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
mykall,

I am going to try and sell it to customers.

Norma

I think it will be a hit.  Like anything in business you have to start small and build.  This is always the key.  Let your customers pull this through you.  Don't over-do it and you'll be fine.  You definitely have the product! 

Michael

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »
I think it will be a hit.  Like anything in business you have to start small and build.  This is always the key.  Let your customers pull this through you.  Don't over-do it and you'll be fine.  You definitely have the product! 

Michael

Michael,

Thanks!  :)

Norma

Offline mykall

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »
Second pie, this one an 8" but what a disaster!  This one had sausage and I tried hand crushing plum tomatoes.  Enough water to fill a swimming pool.  Not sure if it's because of the maters not being strained or the sausage or both.  Maybe I should have pre-cooked the sausage and strained the tomatoes. I've never seen that much  water, and I really like the crushed better, they're thicker and better tasting.  No pics I don't want to scare small children.  :o

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »
Second pie, this one an 8" but what a disaster!  This one had sausage and I tried hand crushing plum tomatoes.  Enough water to fill a swimming pool.  Not sure if it's because of the maters not being strained or the sausage or both.  Maybe I should have pre-cooked the sausage and strained the tomatoes. I've never seen that much  water, and I really like the crushed better, they're thicker and better tasting.  No pics I don't want to scare small children.  :o
Yes, just strain the tomatoes and you'll be fine. Please don't precook the sausage... :'(

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
You didn't crush the tomatoes over the pie did you?   

As for too much crust under neath,  push down real hard, it's a resilient dough, hard to describe the technique but push and slide outwards at the same time and then crimp upwards.

Offline mykall

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »
You didn't crush the tomatoes over the pie did you?   

Worse...over a bowl but it didn't turn out well.  Last time with whole tomatoes for awhile.  I did it because I remember reading about it in a book I've had for 12+ years and I wanted to try some whole tomatoes.  Incidentally this book was the very first time I'd heard of 6 in 1 tomatoes, long before I'd ever visited this site.  I intend to give it another look over later this week.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
Worse...over a bowl but it didn't turn out well. 
Crushing the tomatoes over a bowl would be better not worse...unless you dumped the water left in the bowl on top of your pizza!   ;D
Transfer your hand crushed tomatoes from the bowl to a fine mesh sieve and let them drain until you no longer see water dripping out....that should get you where ya wanna go.

Bob

Offline Jbravo

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »
 This is the kind of pizza I would eat right now. You did such a great job!