Author Topic: Pizza Inn style  (Read 8272 times)

Offline DocSpine

Pizza Inn style
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »
Don't know if this is within forum rules. If it is out of bounds please delete. But this looks like an easy way to replicate Pizza Inn Pizzas.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bfs/3021590750.html

:-D :-D
I do not have a VCR or I would copy them and upload here

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pizza Inn style
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »
How about posting their dough formula for all of us? What year are these tapes from DocSpine? Thanks!!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Sorry I am not the seller, so I do not have any info on it. I just saw it and thought someone here would like it.
Ok  sent an offer of $25.00 to the guy who is selling them. I will post everything if I get them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:03:51 PM by DocSpine »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:10:23 PM »
Dang Doc.....you are much more generous than I!  :D    I'll bet he jumps all over your offer.  :o

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
never got a return email, The home office for Pizza Inn is a half a mile away. I wonder if I can sneak in and get the recipes. >:D

Offline aawshads

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
Nothing on those tapes will help you I am afraid.  Those are more how to tapes from 2002 to new franchisees on how to set up schedules, driver rotations, basics of Pizza Making, but no recipe secrets.  I do wonder who would post those though?  Certainly not worth the  price he is asking.
Trust me the formulations are closely guarded, even from corporate employees.

Doc you a PI fan?  how about Pie 5?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:53:25 AM by aawshads »

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »
Pie Five just opened up down the street from me. I have to make it over there for a taste.

Offline aawshads

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
Please do, I am still working on tweaks with the food in the concept, let me know what you think. 

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »
Pie 5 looks a lot like the Top That Pizza chain we have in Tulsa. I've tried Top That, and it's pretty cool concept. You build your own pizza or get one of their signature pizzas for one low price. The pizza was pretty good, though I was not impressed with the crust. It was sort of thin and crispy, but for $6.99 it's not a bad deal.

Offline aawshads

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »
The 2 concepts are similar, but I think Pie 5 has better quality ingredients.  I also like the decor a lot better.  Top That had red plastic chairs that felt flimsy, and the place was pretty plain looking. 
I've been to top that, its ok, but I did not not like the frozen dough.  The couple of times I have been there (the one in mansfield) they were missing toppings on the make table, and the sauce was very bland to me as well.  

To me the biggest competitors are uncle Maddios and MOD, though MOD may take too long to get into the franchising game to be a major player in the fast casual space.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:51:20 PM by aawshads »

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
LOL I need to realize who I am talking to.
So Pizza Inn created Pie Five.
And you helped with its creation.  very nice.

guess I will NOT sneak in then.

I would get in and someone would say " are you Ray from Pizza Making Forum?"

Will head over and give you my honest (constructive) feelings on it.

Like the concept.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:03:14 PM by DocSpine »

Offline aawshads

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
Sorry, maybe I should have stated that I am an insider.  I am the Corporate Chef for both PI and P5. 
Look forward to hearing your comments.  I am always looking for ways to improve the food.  I have some ideas I have been working on that we have not fully tested yet that may really make an impact.   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:27:30 AM by aawshads »

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Are you at the headquarters on Plano Pkwy?

My wife is a big Pizza Inn fan.

We still do a "date night" to Pizza Inn to relive our high school years. (Darn we are old).
Her favorite is the potato pizza.

Question: how is Pie Five going to adapt to regional pizza tastes?
 IE will Provatel cheese be on the bar in St Louis?
Will California have tofu and wheat berries (ok I went too far)

How do you adapt to an up coming generation that had "bad" pizza for their initial taste of pizza. This going with the theory that people think whatever pizza they first taste is the "best"?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
aawshads,

I see that Charlie Morrisson recently jumped ship to become CEO of Wingstop in what appeared to me to be a very sudden move. I had been following what he was trying to do with the Pie Five concept and was quite impressed.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
Sorry, maybe I should have stated that I am an insider.  I am the Corporate Chef for both PI and P5. 
Look forward to hearing your comments.  I am always looking for ways to improve the food.  I have some ideas I have been working on that we have not fully tested yet that may really make an impact.   
aawshds,

With all due respect to your culinary skills and employment position at PI....do you know of any product available to the public that is comparable to PI's thin crust dough? Thank you.

Bob

"You would be up to stiff competition.  I am in R&D for a pizza company, and there are literally hundreds of premix or pre made dough products out there.  every food vendor is going to carry some of them or be able to get them in.  Good luck"
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14879.msg148872.html#msg148872

Offline account

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »

You created the pizza inn recipe?  

Offline aawshads

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »
Let me try to answer these:

Yes I am at the HQ.

As far as regional promos go, I think there is a distinct possibility for that, but it would need to be once we had multiple markets well built out with P5's.  Funny note, actually grew up near St. Louis, very familiar with that style cheese.   ;D

I have thought for awhile that this generation had a "dumbed Down" palate, but I think it has actually fragmented into 2 groups.  The people who grew up with Mcdonalds, KFC, and Pizza hut who continue to think that that is gourmet food, and the other segment that grew bored with the common chains and have gone exploring.  I think of those as the group most label "foodies".  We have found that our base user group for Pie 5 tends to fall into the "foodie" group.  As for the others, I think once they taste the product and see how neat the process of building it exactly the way they want it and eating a pizza direct from the oven is, we win them over.  Just need to get them in the door.

Charlie got a great offer to go work with a great group.  I know it was a difficult decision for him, especially as P5 is still in its infancy and has a very bright future.  I know he will continue to follow its progress closely.  

The Thin crust is distintive, and I know of no products that duplicate it on the market.  I have seen several recipes that come out similar though.  

As to the recipes, I currently Create Pizza Inn/Pie 5 recipes.  Many of the traditional items were here already and will continue to be here, such as the crust.  I continue to work on variations of things for both concepts.  

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Then I can buy you lunch at Pie Five sometime  :)
I always laugh as I deliver a few homemade pizzas over to my wife at Orthofix next door.
My wife says thanks for the Pizza Inn pizza, like I said she is a big fan. :chef:

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

The Thin crust is distintive, and I know of no products that duplicate it on the market.  I have seen several recipes that come out similar though.  

The last good thin crust pizza I ate was probably arouond 1978. Back in the day when Pizza Hut still had the sheeters in store.  Would I love your thin crust?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »
You want me to make a Pizza Inn thin crust for the Texas Pizza summit?

pizzapan