Author Topic: Sausage crumbles  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Thunderfan

Sausage crumbles
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »
Hi guys. I have read this forum for years and am just now posting for the first time.  I am looking for somewhere to buy sausage crumbles online similar to pizza inn or the old school pizza hut. I have previously bought the Tyson boncini brand but it's flavor wasn't what I was looking for. The problem I am running into is that most of the sausage crumbles are only sold through a distributor. I guess it's a Midwest thing, but my family and friends prefer this type of sausage to real Italian sausage. Thanks for the years of help and making my pizza the best it's ever been.

Luke

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sausage crumbles
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
I personally like the real thing.  I think you will have to go through a distributor. If I were you I would find a pizza place that has the kind that suits you and ask them to go halves on a case. Can't imagine they would have an problem with that.

Offline politon

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
Hi guys. I have read this forum for years and am just now posting for the first time.  I am looking for somewhere to buy sausage crumbles online similar to pizza inn or the old school pizza hut. I have previously bought the Tyson boncini brand but it's flavor wasn't what I was looking for. The problem I am running into is that most of the sausage crumbles are only sold through a distributor. I guess it's a Midwest thing, but my family and friends prefer this type of sausage to real Italian sausage. Thanks for the years of help and making my pizza the best it's ever been.

Luke

Hi Luke,

I just noticed Hormel's Pizza Toppings line at the supermarket last week. They offer Italian Sausage Crumbles in a 4oz. bag.
http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/hormelpepperoni.aspx

Hope this helps.

--Paul

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
... I have previously bought the Tyson boncini brand but it's flavor wasn't what I was looking for.
Luke

Several times I have bought Jimmy Dean sausage breakfast patties (pre cooked) they are easy to crumble and although not Italian sausage, I and the family love it. Plus they keep in the fridge and are ready to go in a minutes notice...
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »
We used to call it "Kibbles 'n' Bits" when I worked in the business. I always preferred real Italian sausage, but to each his own.

I don't use it, but I know a lot of people like Fontanini sausage topping. It's usually only sold wholesale, but PennMac vacuum seals smaller quantities and sells to the public: http://www.pennmac.com/items/4577/
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
A great way to kibble or crumble cook sausage is to buy it in a chubb.  Take a 1 gal. freezer ziplock bag and stuff the sausage in it.  Use it as a piping bag.  Cut a dime size hole in one corner, and extrude the sausage through the hole.  As the sausage exits in snake like fashion, whack it off with scissors in whatever size crumble/ kibble you want.  Bake them off in the oven and they're ready to go.  I guess the hard-core guys put them on raw.  MDW would never go for that.

The piping bag is a great way to make hush puppies en masse also.  Just a bigger size hole and straight into the grease they go.

ymmv.  Just another .02, just sayin' :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Thunderfan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried the fontanini from pennmac and didn't really care for it. I have tried the pre cooked stuff as well and I couldn't get it to "crumble" to the right texture when cooked. I have tried making my own, but haven't really found an amazing recipe yet.  I have tried slicing real Italian sausage, putting it on raw in pinches, and lightly pre cooking it in small chunks. So far I still haven't found " the one" yet. I would love to hear what you guys are using as your favorite sausage, regardless of type. Here is what I have been using.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/152231/Tyson-Pizzano-Precooked-Small-Chunk-Pork-Pizza-Topping-5-Pound.htm

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
I would love to hear what you guys are using as your favorite sausage, regardless of type.
I make my own sausage. I often will make a large batch and stuff some in hog casings and keep some unstuffed for pizza. I just pick 'n' flick it on the pizza raw. as long as you don't use too big of gobs, it will cook fine. It could also be par-cooked.

~4 lbs of ground pork (I grind my own from pork butt)
1 Tbs kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs fennel seeds
1 tsp anise seeds
1 Tbs crushed red pepper*
1/4 cup olive oil

Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.

* This is fairly hot. You can cut back on the red pepper to cool it down. Not all crushed red pepper flakes are the same though. I have had jars that were much hotter than others.

Offline Thunderfan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »
I make my own sausage. I often will make a large batch and stuff some in hog casings and keep some unstuffed for pizza. I just pick 'n' flick it on the pizza raw. as long as you don't use too big of gobs, it will cook fine. It could also be par-cooked.

1 Tbs kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs fennel seeds
1 tsp anise seeds
1/4 cup olive oil

* This is fairly hot. You can cut back on the red pepper to cool it down. Not all crushed red pepper flakes are the same though. I have had jars that were much hotter than others.

Sounds great Don. I definitely need to try this.

Luke

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »
I tryed Homel buttt very high in price for a very small bag.
I buy my tiny sausage from my distributor (Bova food},it comes at $30 for a 30lbs
5 6lb bags of tinny bits of sausage(not bad and at a great price}
I keep each bag that I use frozen and use it when I need it...............JT

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Fontanini in the Chicago / midwest area has lots of different pizza sausage toppings.

Gordon Food Service (GFS) in the midwest, carries one of their many toppings and also their own brand of sausage toppings and other pizza making ingredients.

http://www.fontanini.com/food-services/product-category-foodservice/pizza-toppings

Offline Home_Deck

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
GFS, they have bulk sausage crumbles.. to me they taste like fluffed up cardboard, but I am sure they are on a lot of different kinds of food.  When I purchased a case few years ago, my dogs ate well for a couple of months.  Maybe its changed, would not bet on it.

Offline Home_Deck

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »

1 Tbs kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs fennel seeds
1 tsp anise seeds
1/4 cup olive oil

Well, nice to meet another sausage maker.  I will try your recipe this weekend.  I never came up with a recipe that I liked.  Mixed and doctored just about everything from the store and made many test batches.  thanks for sharing will give it a try.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
Salt you meat at least 4 hours before grinding, and makes sure everything (including your grinder) is very cold. The grinder should be near frozen.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Home_Deck

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »

1 Tbs kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs fennel seeds
1 tsp anise seeds
1/4 cup olive oil

Oh this thing just lost all my text... ugg..... on a repost..

I made a 1lb test batch of your pizza sausage, have not used it on a pizza yet, but the flavors are very good.  Tonight during the bears game going to try it on a pie.. going to make tom lehmann NY pizza and give it a whirl.  You did not say to crush or whole seed or pwd.  I used just seeds?  Will post a update.  Picture is some home made polish sausage I made while making your pizza sausage test batch.  thanks for sharing will update.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:02:59 PM by Home_Deck »

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »
Salt you meat at least 4 hours before grinding,

What is improved by doing this?

Thunderfan, I think the texture your after comes from TVP. Textured Vegetable Protein. I have seen some ground meats cut with up to 40% or so. Health foods stores sell it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
What is improved by doing this?

Texture is improved and moisture loss is reduced.

Thunderfan, I think the texture your after comes from TVP. Textured Vegetable Protein. I have seen some ground meats cut with up to 40% or so. Health foods stores sell it.

In my experience, TVP is used for formula cost reduction and to hit nutritional targets rather than texture improvement which I would disagree is a benefit it adds.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
In my experience, TVP is used for formula cost reduction and to hit nutritional targets rather than texture improvement which I would disagree is a benefit it adds.

I would disagree. (At least on"improvement", just cost reduction) I was just back home after near 4 years, and went to my favorite little hole, dump of a cafe for their greasy, nasty delicious burger. I was served a pate of TVP and burger.  5 bucks great.  I would rather pay 8 for what they used to serve. I was just thinking, in my experience, the sausage "balls" pizza topping was the spongy,cheap TVP crap. (Like my burger) large restaurant suppliers provide. I think it adds a definite, unusual texture.. The fat stays suspended. Quite nasty. But maybe what he is after.

Texture is improved and moisture loss is reduced.

I did know that. But I do freeze every thing before using. Does it make a difference with brats? The fat content is  so high, I thought it was all about emulsion?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:09:01 AM by SinoChef »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
I would disagree. (At least on"improvement", just cost reduction) I was just back home after near 4 years, and went to my favorite little hole, dump of a cafe for their greasy, nasty delicious burger. I was served a pate of TVP and burger.  5 bucks great.  I would rather pay 8 for what they used to serve. I was just thinking, in my experience, the sausage "balls" pizza topping was the spongy,cheap TVP crap. (Like my burger) large restaurant suppliers provide. I think it adds a definite, unusual texture.. The fat stays suspended. Quite nasty. But maybe what he is after.

I'm not sure I understand where you disagree? Are you saying that you think TVP improves the texture of ground meat?

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
I disagree with SinoChef's disagreement of Craig's disagreement of SinoChef original statement. ;D

My sister is a vegetarian and she buys TVP in bulk. Nobody else in our family is vegetarian, including my sister's husband (poor guy), so when we have a gathering at her house she makes non-vegetarian fare. Just this summer she had a cookout and made her "famous" hamburgers that are made with ground beef and various other ingredients, including TVP. She proudly claims that the TVP improves the texture of the burger. Personally, I'm not sure what's wrong with the texture of a burger made with just ground beef, but she claims that the TVP improves it. I think she's crazy. To me, the texture of the TVP burger was pasty and kind of bean-like. It left an unpleasant coating in my mouth that I couldn't wait to rinse down with a beer. The burger was well-seasoned, which was the only reason it was at all palatable IMO.