Author Topic: Sausage crumbles  (Read 10568 times)

Offline Home_Deck

Re: Sausage crumbles
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »
I think it mushes the meat while cutting, if froz you get a much more clean cut as well has sharp blades.  Make a big differences in cured raw sausage, you get the nice looking chunks of meat when you cut into the sasuage.  If it is not froz or your blades are not sharp, kind of mushes it all togehter.  Hamburger, not really sure you could tell the texture differences, you might though.  It would be like changing different size plate holes.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
I disagree with SinoChef's disagreement of Craig's disagreement of SinoChef original statement.

Then I shall be forced to disagree with my previous disagreement.

I'm not sure I understand where you disagree? Are you saying that you think TVP improves the texture of ground meat?

I misread your statement. TVP is a nasty filler. It does change the texture, but not for the better.

I was raised eating "meatless" TVP patties

Offline PennyNC

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »
Hi, Luke....don't know if you are still looking for the "rabbit pellet" looking sausage pieces still, but I too am a fan of those.  Sacrilege I know, but I grew up with that type sausage and you know what they say about your first pizza love.......

Anyway, I have finally found them at my local Restaurant Depot in the frozen section.  Cannot tell you the brand but there is only one and it comes in a five pound bag, two to a case.  They let me break a case and I just freeze it in Foodsaver bags portioned out.

If you don't have access to a RD, for years I was forced to go to a local pizzeria that used that kind of topping and they would sell me a pound or two at a time.  Maybe someone near you will have mercy on you as well.   :P

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »
Penny,
This is a most excellent find, thanks! Why can't you share the brand name with us....not everyone has a RD ....perhaps us less fortunate members can buy on line,no?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PennyNC

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
LOL!  I didn't mean I WOULDN'T give you the name, just that I couldn't....I threw the box away 2 months ago and don't remember.  I will make a run to RD in the next few days anyway and will look for you and report back.  They also carry other pizzamaking things and I'll make a short list if anyone is interested.  Hold tight, fellow sausage lover, I will not forsake you!  ;D

Offline Thunderfan

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the many responses and suggestions. Let me say for the record I know how disgusting most of you think this type of sausage is, but it's what I grew up on. The textured vegetable protein sounds interesting and troubling all at the same time. Not sure I want to make my own authentic, un-authentic meats! I found some "pellets" on foodservicedirect.com and they were close but ultimately not what I was looking for, pretty bland and not spicy enough. Penny, I would love to hear what you thought of your sausage, although I have no RD's around me. I would like to try the hormel sausage crumbles, but can't find a source anywhere. Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming, as I keep looking for that "holy grail" solution of imitation pizza toppings! Lol.

Luke

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
Penny...thank's, you're a peach!

Luke....I have tried the 3 new "flavors" of the Hormel crumbles and don't think it's what you're look'in for man....can you say "rabbit doo-doos" ?  :-D    Expensive 'lil buggers too!!  ???

Offline PennyNC

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
OK, finally got a chance to go to RD quickly and their "pork pizza topping" comes from Bonici.  They also carry a "beef topping" as well.  Comes in five pound cases, two 2.5 lb.bags per case, and my store will let you buy one bag at a time, which is PLENTY for a home-based gal like me.  I think this is a pork/chicken blend but cannot say for sure.  It suits me fine and is as close as I can get to what I grew up with, your milage may vary!  Tried the Hormel and they were terrible in my opinion, expensive to boot....

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  Pizza with my pork topping is on the menu tonight....can't wait!

Good luck, Luke and Bob, on your own personal sausage quest....I have been there!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »
Penny, Does RD carry Grande cheese line? Thanks! I assume you went to Charlotte, that's the only one they list for NC.

Offline PennyNC

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »
Bob, I wish!  LOL.  And yes, I'm in Charlotte.  I have yet to find a source for Grande available to me in the whole dang state of NC.  If anyone knows, PLEASE let me know!  I have been using their Supremo Italiano whole milk moz and that's the best I've found for me so far....

They do carry a whole range of Stanislaus tomato products; I'm working my way through the line still trying to find a fave.  It takes a while since those cans are so huge!!

If you happen to know about a Grande purveyor in either NC or SC, I'm willing to drive....I know I can order online and have, but would rather have somewhere local if possible.

Offline PennyNC

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »
To clarify, the mozz I'm using is from RD, not a Grande product.  If anyone can steer me to some Grande whole mile mozz, I'll be your friend for life!

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
Bob, I wish!  LOL.  And yes, I'm in Charlotte.  I have yet to find a source for Grande available to me in the whole dang state of NC.  If anyone knows, PLEASE let me know!  I have been using their Supremo Italiano whole milk moz and that's the best I've found for me so far....

They do carry a whole range of Stanislaus tomato products; I'm working my way through the line still trying to find a fave.  It takes a while since those cans are so huge!!

If you happen to know about a Grande purveyor in either NC or SC, I'm willing to drive....I know I can order online and have, but would rather have somewhere local if possible.

Vinny's Italian Grill & Pizzeria in Hillsboro would sell you Grande and Stanislaus products, a few years ago.
I think the Grande was limited to cuts off of blocks.

133 North Scotswood Boulevard, Hillsborough, NC 27278
(919) 732-9219 ‎

- Al

Offline PennyNC

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Al! I will check them out the next time I roadtrip to Chapel Hill; my whole family are Tarheels and my daughter who just graduated found a job there so I go up frequently.  So I can tell her I'm coming to see her and stop by to see if I can score some cheese (she'll know I'm actually coming up for the cheese but then my whole family understands my pizza addiction...LOL!)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
Crumbled Pizza Sausage
  • Remove sausage from casings or use bulk sausage
  • Form into large, thick hamburger patty, 8-12 oz in weight
  • Place in cutter pan or pie pan, etc.
  • Bake in hot pizza oven for 5-7 minutes until outside is browned a bit.  Do not overcook: the meat will be just set but still underdone and pinkish throughout the patty--no longer raw but not truly cooked, either.
  • Let cool for a few minutes until it can be handled or until room temp (your choice)
  • Use your hands to break it up or crumble it into the pan or directly onto a pizza (I prefer the latter)

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »
I've been recently  making my own crumbled pizza sausage topping. I like crumbled sausage toppings similar to what Harris Pizza in the quad cities (see link) area puts on their pies with the sausage under the cheese and the pie cut into strips. I've seen a few other pizza restaurants in the Midwest do it that way also.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/A-food-tour-of-the-QuadCities-IAIL-border-m765403.aspx

1 Lb - ground pork
1 1/2 tsp - table salt
1 TBL - ground fennel seed
1 1/2 tsp -paprika
1 TBL- fresh minced garlic
1/2 tsp - ground caraway seed
1/2 tsp - nutmeg
1/4 tsp - crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
mix well and refrigerate overnight

Fry sausage on low/med heat and crumble for use- I use a meat grinder attachment on my KA mixer to get the fried meat crumbled.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 02:04:57 AM »
They just opened an RD here in Tucson and I never gave it a second thought. After reading this thread, because I wanted some sausage crumbles, I will check them out. Registered online.

Anyone else have suggestions for good pizza making stuff they have there?

scott123

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 02:48:11 AM »
Dr. Matt, if Penny is correct and the RD sausage is a chicken/pork blend, check the ingredients closely, as it could easily be mechanically separated chicken. I'm all for saving a buck, but mechanically separated chicken is pretty nasty stuff.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Scott. I did just return from there and saw the sausage crumbles. They just looked too processed for me. I went with the Mamma Isabellas's mild Italian links.

I do have a question for the members tho. I saw these 3 brands of WM Mozz.  Any feedback would be helpful.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Scott. I did just return from there and saw the sausage crumbles. They just looked too processed for me. I went with the Mamma Isabellas's mild Italian links.

I do have a question for the members tho. I saw these 3 brands of WM Mozz.  Any feedback would be helpful.

Forget the Supreme stuff.  I grew up with Polly O in the pizzeria world of NJ back in the 60-70's.  I haven't had it in years so am not sure if the quality is still good.  It use to be great!  Walter

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
Thanks Walt. I found another thread somewhere on the site and they said that the Poly-O was arguably as good if not better than Grande.  So I imagine it is still as good as you remember.

I've been using Grande and love it but the restaurant I buy it at switched from the brick to cubed. Pretty much cooks the same but it started to get moldy in just over a week. The cubed is more expensive than the brick too.