Author Topic: Oven Insulation question  (Read 2878 times)

Offline woodovenbaker

Oven Insulation question
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
I am thinking of adding some insulation on top of my oven to keep it longer at the higher temperatures. Looking to see if some of you have the same curb or get similar results and have experimented with more insulation.
At this point my oven temperature drops as follow:

1pm 570F
2pm 520F
3pm 490F
4pm 470F
5pm 450F
6pm 430F
7pm 410F
9:30pm 375F
10:30pm 355
Next Day
6:30am 265F
8:30am 250F
12pm 215F
2pm 195F

You experience and feedback is appreciated?

Offline Bob1

Re: Oven Insulation question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
WOB,
I can't help you, but I am also interested about this topic.  What type, model, and thickness of insulation do you have now.  I have a Casa90 and will be pouring the hearth next week.  I was thinking about getting an extra 2" of FB board for the bottom and adding an extra 2" of blanket.  I would assume that if the insulation is good I could  add some preheated fire bricks for thermal mass to extend the desired low temp cook for 18 hours (225 to 270).  It probably would not be hard to calculate based on ambient to make it work.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
What type of door are you using? A well insulated door will help keep in a lot of heat. A lot of heat lose comes from the door of the oven. I was using a cast iron door and the heat loss the next day was about 400F-450F. After the insulated door it was cut to 150F-200F drop a day. Your drops look about the same as I was getting, try looking into a door it might be your answer. But you can never have to much insulation around the oven. Theres 3 2" blankets around the side of mine and a blanket that was cut and layered on top.

Good luck.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
Why?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
Brick Stone,
So it sounds like the door insulation would be the biggest bang for the buck.  Do I read you correct that that your blanket is 3 x 2" = 6" on the sides and top?  What do you have underneath?

Craig,
Why do you ask why?  Is it not good for slow cooking.  I assume you have your own smokers and do not really need it, but I thought it would be handy as long as I could introduce smoke for the first couple of hours ( not to get off track).

Thanks,

Bob

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
Brick Stone,
So it sounds like the door insulation would be the biggest bang for the buck.  Do I read you correct that that your blanket is 3 x 2" = 6" on the sides and top?  What do you have underneath?
Thanks,

Bob
Yes 6" total around the oven. On top I rolled out a blanket and cut it to shape, there is maybe 4"-5" on top. That's what the top of the oven looked like so I stuffed as much insulation as possible I could. And that's the door. The door is great to have if you want to have the residual heat for cooking other things on different days. Bang for your buck though I don't know. It would probably cost as much as a blanket or more, my uncles friend did it as a favor so I have no idea how much it would have cost if I bought it.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
Craig,
Why do you ask why?  Is it not good for slow cooking.  I assume you have your own smokers and do not really need it, but I thought it would be handy as long as I could introduce smoke for the first couple of hours ( not to get off track).

Sorry - for some reason, when I read this I thought you were talking about the oven in your kitchen. My bad.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »
Thanks,
Your door is really nice.  I was thinking about making a custom pillow out of welders blanket and left over silica insulation.  As long as I could seal it so the fibers could not get out, and the blanket does not give off vapors.  I am sure there is something out there to make it work at a reasonable cost.  When I said bang for the buck I meant in relationship to the cost of more top and bottom insulation.  I guess you could always plug the chimney a portion also?

Bob

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Thanks Craig this looks promising.  I would think that it would be a good business opportunity for a company like Forno Bravo to start a custom line partnership.

pizzapan