Author Topic: WFO deal vs Ideal  (Read 300 times)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
WFO deal vs Ideal
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
Hey gang. Currently, I'm nose deep in putting together a brick and mortar version of GoreMade Pizza. I recently decided to go with a Mario Acunto Classico 5 with a 120 cm internal diameter, which will run me about $13k plus install. High heat, 90 second bakes. Probably wouldn't cook more than four pizzas at a time. Our seating capacity will be about 30 for the first year or so, then we're planning on adding a patio which could as much as double or more that capacity in the warmer months. There's a large amount of foot traffic, so to-go pies are also going to be part of the business model.

Just yesterday, I found a Forno Bravo Modena2G160 used for sale for $6000 an hour away from me. (http://www.fornobravo.com/commercial_pizza_oven/pizza_oven_specs/modena2G160_ok.html) It's a big oven... really big.  56x72" cook surface! I'm not sure how much more wood it would take, but it seems like it would take a considerable amount more to keep hot. The Modena is wood fired with gas assist (which I never planned on having in the first place, but it could be handy if it's already there). My gut is telling me this oven is too big, but my frugal side is trying to justify it by the savings. I'd literally cut my oven cost in half while adding a lot to the bake potential, and it comes with oven tools and some venting (we're working with a very limited amount of money for the initial setup of the restaurant, so every little bit of savings helps!). I'm not sure how many pizzas one could feasibly cook at a time at 800-900, but my guess is not more than 4 or so without sacrificing the final bake time. I've never done more than 2 pizzas at a time, but I'm currently limited by my mobile oven size.

So, what would you guys do in my scenario? What am I missing here? I attached a pic of the oven for sale. Looks to be in good condition.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: WFO deal vs Ideal
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:45 PM »
Given that the oven is so big (I wouldn't want it, however, in a smaller over and lose all the real estate it takes up inside), the gas option probably would be nice. (I'm guessing it's not an assist, but a full-on burner that can operate on it's own without wood, right?) It would make pre-heating a lot easier. It would also let you keep it fully hot in slow periods without feeding it wood.

It's a tough question. You give up a ton on the aesthetics side (I'm a bit biased  ;D). Is that worth $7K? How long will it take to consume the savings with the cost of the extra wood it will burn? Is having a real Neapolitan oven worth anything to your customers? Will it give you a meaningful point of difference you can market? Will you regret it ever time you go to work - or is it no big deal? Can you make this oven look good? Will the look of the oven detract from the overall restaurant? I think only you can answer these sorts of questions. Have you asked your current mobile business's customers what they think?

If you are going to be baking 4 NP pies by yourself (quite a feat, IMO), heat balance is going to be pretty important. Can you go bake in this oven and try it before you buy it?
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
All great questions, and a lot to think about. I can indeed bake in this oven before purchase. Maybe that would better help me understand what I'm working with. And yes, the gas assist (a big burner) is a great option if it is already accommodated.

As for my current customers, they seem a bit ignorant to what oven I'm using. So long as the pizza's great and I stick to the "wood fired"ness of it all, no one seems to mind what the oven is that it came from. And, this oven is imported from Italy, so there's that fact to tout.

I'll have to give it a good cook and see how I feel after that. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:54:45 PM by weemis »
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
check out harvest pizza in German village they have one purely gas their dough is very good. robertas in brooklyn uses one thy do a lot of pizzas out of theirs. four pies at a time is probably doing really good.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:13:33 PM by thezaman »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:14:20 PM »
One thing worth mentioning with the Modena is that there are two distinctly different versions out there.  When Forno Bravo started they were an oven importer, and the Modena was a Pavesi oven from italy.  A while back they became an oven manufacturer, and began build their own ovens in house, but kept the same names they marketed the Pavesi ovens under for some of them.  The Modena was one of them.  The floor will be distinctly different in these two versions.  The Pavesi floor is a one piece casting that some claim is ok for Neapolitan pizza(I have my doubts).  The Forno Bravo floor is large firebrick tiles.  Where the Pavesi floor MIGHT be ok for you, I would tear out the FB floor and replace it with a lower conductivity material before you even put it in place if you want to be successful.
-Jeff

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
I iwsh I had the coin right this instant, I'd jump on that FB is you do not want it.
is it a wood/gas combo?
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

pizzapan