Author Topic: Need your guidance on which WFO oven to buy? Total newbie!!  (Read 7655 times)

Offline bebe

We are just starting the process of researching WFOs.  Where do we start?  I've looked at Batali, CBO, and Forno (or something like that!) We need the kit or complete oven and my contractor is going to build it in with a fireplace too.

Is there a quality difference between these pre-fab ovens?  What do I look for or can you guys just point me in the right direction?  I don't need the very very best, but I'd like a nice oven that works well !!

Ok, show me the way!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Need your guidance on which WFO oven to buy? Total newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
Start by deciding what style of pizza you want to make. Different pizza styles require different baking temperatures and heat distribution - dictating oven shape and construction. As you start looking for options that fit the style, you will be faced with selecting oven size. Bigger is better in terms of versatility, but bigger also means more expensive to buy/build and operate.  

Offline bebe

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »
Thanks Bill.

I think we want simple. An oven that we can cook 1 pizza at a time seems ok but maybe up to 3 would be awesome. We do not want big but this is going to be built into a fireplace/pizza oven unit. I suspect we will be cooking the crispy thin pizzas but I'm sure we will experiment with thicker crusts in time.  And bread would be nice too!

My contractor mentioned considering weight of the oven. It can't be one of those 1000lb ovens (darn) !!  I need guidance to ovens manufacturers that build quality ovens.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »
bebe,

Others will have to take it from here - I've got one of those 1000 pound ovens. I'm curious though about what your contractor's concern is about the weight. Where is this oven going where weight is an issue?

Offline bebe

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
Bill, it is not the location but i suppose he was concerned about installation.  He is a very good friend but has limited experience with pizza ovens but a lot of construction knowledge and fireplace knowledge. I feel confident he can pull this off but we both need guidance on oven quality. Are the other type of ovens (not 1-piece construction) ok to use?

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
Bebe, before you buy an oven, you have a few questions to ask yourself.  How serious do you think you're going to be about pizza?  How serious do you think you'll be about bread. The best pizza oven, imo, isn't the best bread oven and vice versa.

If you think you might get serious about pizza, right now, the oven that's showing the most potential is the Four Grand Mere 950. There's not a huge amount of feedback on this forum, but, so far, the feedback has been stellar.  The standard ceiling height version (9.5") is the only oven that I'm aware of that comes close to the traits of a real Neapolitan pizza oven. You can make Neapolitan pizza in just about any wood fired oven, but if you want to do it in the easiest manner possible, you want a low dome.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13956.0.html

I'm not entirely certain how I feel about the way they do the bricks on the interior- it almost looks like they take the casting refractory, color it, and add wet refractory 'bricks' to the interior when they cast it, rather than using fire bricks. That being said, I'd gladly take a faux brick or even a full refractory low dome oven over any of the hundreds of high dome ovens out there.

And this, like many ovens, is a multi-piece unit so your contractor should be fine with it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:24:36 PM by scott123 »

Offline bebe

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
wow, that installation looks complicated !!

any thoughts on a Mugnaini Piccolo 80 ?  assembled on site
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:52:18 PM by bebe »

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »
wow, that installation looks complicated !!

This isn't like building a coat rack in shop class. Any real wood fired oven, even a small modular one, is going to require expert craftmanship, engineering know how and problem solving.

Does your friend's 'fireplace knowledge' actually include building a fireplace himself?  If it does, he'll have no problem putting in a modular oven.

Offline bebe

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »
Scott, he is a master home builder and yes, has built many fireplaces. He is a perfectionist and quite experienced. In the beginning of this, I hired a national award winning landscaper and outdoor kitchen guy. He was stuck on one design and had no vision. And he couldn't answer all my questions, nor was he willing to work with me on design. All talk and no action. So I approached a close friend who has building custom homes for ages. He has built many high end custom homes along with outdoor kitchens. Now, we just need to find an oven!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
bebe,

I'd take a look at Blazing Ovens out of Canada (http://blazingovens.com/index.htm). Along with the Four Grand Mere, the are some of the nicest looking I've seen here that are not just huge.   

Check out this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15692.msg154112.html#msg154112

You mught send a PM to Bill (wheelman) to get his thoughts directly. Matthew would also probably be able to give you some good insight on this oven.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bebe

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »
Thank you.  I appreciate the help !  And that oven looks nice. As does Wheelman's oven on wheels - wow love that setup.

I will contact Blazing Ovens and ask about shipping costs to Texas.  Wish I could buy locally !

Offline sajata

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 02:36:41 PM »
bebe you should point your friend to this forum!
does he do construction for a living.  if he does then he could add WFO (Wood Fired Ovens) to his bag of tricks.  There could be alot of money in it for him if he becomes proficent in the art of WFO building and instalation
plus you may want to check out this thread
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18937.0.html
it was about where to place a fireplace in conjunction with a WFO.

Offline bebe

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
I do plan on showing him this. I know he has installed 1 maybe up to 3 pizza ovens but I'm not sure what kind. He is one of the top home builders in his area,  but always good to have something the other guy doesn't.  !!

Once I settle on an oven, I'm sure I will bugging you guys crazy with questions.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »
Thank you.  I appreciate the help !  And that oven looks nice. As does Wheelman's oven on wheels - wow love that setup.

I will contact Blazing Ovens and ask about shipping costs to Texas.  Wish I could buy locally !

Unfortunately nothing to buy locally that I know of. The only option would be to build from scratch.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bebe

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
having trouble posting

anyway, I found this Earthcore dealer here in Houston. ISO'ven WBO

any thoughts on these guys? local and might be able to provide some assist if needed.

also looking at Los Angeles Ovenworks too.

Offline bebe

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
Forno Bravo site has some dealers in the Houston area and Austin too.

better to order direct (if possible) or through a dealer?

thoughts on their oven quality?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
Forno Bravo site has some dealers in the Houston area and Austin too.

better to order direct (if possible) or through a dealer?

thoughts on their oven quality?

FB quality seems to be so-so to OK.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »
The Isokern product is a low mass material, not what I would select for an oven. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
having trouble posting

anyway, I found this Earthcore dealer here in Houston. ISO'ven WBO

any thoughts on these guys? local and might be able to provide some assist if needed.

also looking at Los Angeles Ovenworks too.

The Earthcore looks like something I'd stay away from. It looks very small, and I think you would be happiest with a dome shape.

Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan