Author Topic: Hallo from Italy!  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
Hallo from Italy!
« on: September 12, 2005, 02:57:06 AM »
Hi Guys!
I'm Riccardo from Rome.
I'm a pizza addicted and I'm so happy that I've found other pizza fanatics in USA too.....

I've learned from my mother how to make delicious pizza and I usually make and eat one every two-three days... ;D I can't ever have enough of it!

I love US  and I hope in a near future to come to work and live in USA...  I'd like to work as cook , especially as a pizza maker ...
Actually I work in a totally different field , I'm a computer technician , but I'm more than willing to change given the chance...

So, goodbye for the moment.

That's me making little pizza (called pizzetta in italian ) as an appetizier for my friends at home:

Offline BIG Daddy

• Supporting Member
  • Grandpa is THE Pizza Man
Re: Hallo from Italy!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:28:23 AM »
Hello Rick;
Welcome to the forum...I have been making pizzas at home for about two years now and always have friends, grandchildren and neighbors asking for them.  I make a variety of pizzas, but have never had the opportunity to make an "original" recipe Italian pizza.  Would you share one (or more) of your favorite recipes???? ;D ;D
BIG Daddy
BIG Daddy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:58:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum!!  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:44:22 AM »
Rick, welcome to the forum! 

Let us know about the different types of pizza you have in your area, and especially the ones you like to cook for your friends.

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 02:12:29 AM »
Hi again !!!!
Well, in Italy we have two  different  kind pizza....  the Napolitan one and the roman one...

I'm specialized ( if an amateur like me can be specialized, LOOL  ;D  ) in the roman kind...

the following recipe is the one that gave me the biggest satisfaction for my home made pizza:

Early in the morning , mix half liter of water, half Kilo of flour, type "O" and about 2 gr. (yes just that little) of  fresh yeast ( I hope that it's the right english term for LIEVITO) , mix it all and put it in the refrigerator.
At about 5-6 p.m. take out from the refrigerator the paste and begin to mix gradually the following ingredients:
250 gr. of flour 10gr of fresh yeast and 15 gr. of salt ( VERY IMPORTANT:before adding the salt BE SURE that the yeast is perfectly mixed with the rest of the paste, otherwise there will be no leaven and the paste will be no good..... never let the yeast be in direct contact with the salt) and 30 gr of olive oil (extravirgin). When U'll get a soft and elastic paste put it to rest for about an hour in a warm place (77 to 86 °Fahrenheit) before working it.
After the resting hour, U can cut the paste into many pieces , spread them, flavour them and put them in the oven.
Usually home ovens reach max 482° degrees but the hotter they can reach , the better the pizza will be cooked in less time... wooden fire ovens easily reach 752° !!!

It's a bit long process, but I can assure U , it's worth the effort!!!!

I got this recipe from one of the best italian pizza makers that works in Rome and since that time I use only this recipe with great results!!!
Of course, there are many different methods , ingredients and techniques , especially if U have to prepare a pizza in a wooden fire oven,  and those techniques are a secret of the pizza maker (after all it takes quite long to create the right mix of ingredients and preparation's methods), but for an easy home made pizza this one is great...
Try and let me know!!!!  ;D
If U need any other advice, just let me know and I'll do my best to help..

Also if anyone plans to come to eat pizza in Rome, I can help U to go the best pizza restaurants in the whole Rome (that means: WE ARE GOING TOGHETER TO EAT THE BEST PIZZA IN ROME LOOOOOOL    ;D ;D ;D  )!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:37:46 AM »
Rick,

Good to have you onboard :).

Can you give an example of a typical number and size of pizzas (diameter) your recipe makes?  If my math and conversions are correct, your recipe makes a bit over 1 kilo (2.3 lbs.) of dough.

Fresh yeast is not as common here in the U.S. for home pizza makers. Have you tried using dry yeasts and, if so, with what results?

Finally, can you tell us the best way to form the dough balls into individual pizza rounds, that is, by shaping and stretching by hand or by the use of a rolling pin?

Peter

piroshok

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:49:01 AM »
Ciao Rick benvenutto a pizzamaking forum
Sonno Ricardo
LIEVITO in inglese e yeast

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
Thank U all for the warm welcome!!!!
I'm happy to share with U my little experience in our common passion....

I've never used dry yeasts since I can easily find the fresh one here in Rome but I've heard that U must use one third of dry one compared to the fresh one....
If U want, I can try out once with the dry one for U and then let U know the difference between the two pastes. It's really not a problem to test it...

Usually I make 4  30-32cm pizzas ( they are not extremelythin..... I could easily make 5 X 24 cm thin pizzas)... ;D
Rick

piroshok

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 05:22:53 AM »
Hmm Rick  you may not need to add too much salt if you paint you dough(impasto) with salomoia or salmuera later before baking.Right?

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 05:33:42 AM »
Hmm Rick  you may not need to add too much salt if you paint you dough(impasto) with salomoia or salmuera later before baking.Right?

Ehm.... i usually put the salt when mixing the dough, and then a little after I put on the tomato, with a little of extravirgin olive oil, but they are separate .... I do not use salamoia ( for salamoia un mean the mix/emulsion???  between oil and water  right ?) ....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:36:09 AM by Rick »

piroshok

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 07:27:46 AM »
( for salamoia un mean the mix/emulsion???  between oil and water  right ?) ....
No I mean brush with this mix emulsion the top of the pizza after extending the dough and before proofing

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 01:42:11 AM »
No I mean brush with this mix emulsion the top of the pizza after extending the dough and before proofing

Sorry, i've never used that technique....  I didn't know either that was necessary...  but it's interesting and worth a try.

Rick

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 07:57:02 PM »
Hi Rick

Did you try "Pizza al taglio" at Pizzarium in Rome?

If so, what do you think?

Ciao

Marco

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 01:15:56 AM »
Hi Rick

Did you try "Pizza al taglio" at Pizzarium in Rome?

If so, what do you think?

Ciao

Marco

Yes, since it's very near to my girlfriend's home...
I really love it! Especially the pizza Margherita.  the dought is light and well leaven , the taste is incredible!!

Unlukily I wasn't able to meet the owner and thanks him for the recipe I use for my home made-pizza, I got from him on gambero Rosso's forum .... but since I plan to go often there I'm sure I'll meet him and maybe I'll be able to ask him a few questions about his wonderful pizza!!! ^-^

piroshok

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 06:40:07 AM »
Not been there but like to be there someday
Pizzamia
Le uniche pizzerie a Roma dove con 10€ a persona mangi pizza e bevi birra senza nessun limite.
Not sure but for 10€ eat pizza and beers sounds good deal. 
Un prodotto squisito,sapido,dai profumi intensi,con la base croccante e l'interno di rassicurante morbidezza,che conquista animo e palato.Pizzarium
Poetic words spoken about this pizza place :)

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 07:22:30 AM »
Not been there but like to be there someday
Pizzamia
Le uniche pizzerie a Roma dove con 10€ a persona mangi pizza e bevi birra senza nessun limite.
Not sure but for 10€ eat pizza and beers sounds good deal. 
Un prodotto squisito,sapido,dai profumi intensi,con la base croccante e l'interno di rassicurante morbidezza,che conquista animo e palato.Pizzarium
Poetic words spoken about this pizza place :)

10 € may be good now but just 3-4 years ago U could eat a good pizza and a beer for about 4 $ ..... Since we shift from Lira to €uro everything cost at list twice the price it costed 3 years ago....  :-\

Now in big cities like Rome or Milan U can eat a good pizza and a drink with 8-10 €... in smaller towns U cna eat with 6-8 €.....

But everything should be related to the quality of the pizza U are eating....  for a pizza of Pizzarium or from Gatta Mangiona, 8 €uros for a pizza are worth due to the sheer quality of it!!!!!  ;D

piroshok

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 09:01:12 AM »
Yes Euros make Europe so expensive for us
Gatta Mangiona? Funny name I'd say

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 09:14:29 AM »
Yes Euros make Europe so expensive for us
Gatta Mangiona? Funny name I'd say

Well.... €uro made €urope a little stronger toward $$ but in Italy the conversion between Liras and €uro made a little mess and many persons (especially shop's owners)  took advantage of that period of change,  rising prices over the normal inflaction's rates ;  most part of italians suffered from that situation.....
anyway... we'll survive... LOOOL   ;D

Yes Gatta Mangiona is a funny name for a pizzeria and the first time I heard of it I was perplexed....  but eat once it's pizza and U'll have no more doubts .....
It's so famous in Rome that U have to reserve a table many days in advance and it says it all  in a city like Rome, where U can find a pizzeria every few hundred meters in a single road.....  ;) 
(http://www.ecogat.it/img/propone/mangiona.jpg)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 09:18:32 AM by Rick »

Offline hipchef

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 03:23:41 PM »
Hey Rick I just just got back from your woderful city. nothing like having a slice of pizza in your favorite piazza.............................Take care.................Bill

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 02:31:37 AM »
Hey Rick I just just got back from your woderful city. nothing like having a slice of pizza in your favorite piazza.............................Take care.................Bill

I'm happy to hear U enjoyed Rome and U had good pizzas too!!!!

Where's the place U ate the best pizza in your opinion ?

Bye

Rick

pizzapan