Author Topic: Uncooked tomato sauce life  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Redshirt

Uncooked tomato sauce life
« on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:20 AM »
Does anyone know the fridge life life of canned tomato sauce?  Uncooked of course, just like the sauce Robert Caporuscio makes on the masters videos, thanks.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Uncooked tomato sauce life
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »
We make it a habit of keeping our sauce no more than 5-days. Because the sauce is made in an environment where yeast is present, yeast contamination is going to be the most common issue and is evidenced by a slight bubbling of the sauce. The natural acidity of the sauce will help to keep things pretty well in check for up to 5-days, but after that you're on your own.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:52:56 AM »
Thank you

Offline patnx2

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:50:39 AM »
Tomato sauce freezes if you need to.  Patrick
Patrick

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:44:28 AM »
Thanks Patrick.  I guess my question is if you open your pizzeria on Monday and close on Thursday (just an example) and have slow sales on Monday and Tuesday would it be feasible to use it on Wednesday and Thursday without depreciating taste and acquiring any harmful bacteria (of course following every sanitary guideline) just like Tom mentioned.  I understand the fact that you sometimes need to make less on certain days, but I am trying to cover different scenarios.  Thanks again Tom and Patrick. 

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
Between the acidity of the tomatoes and the addition of a moderate amount of salt you should have NO problem holding your sauce in the reefer within the parameter you stated. I've held mine for up to a week and it's still been very good. I personally have never had sauce go bad because we make it almost every day. Good refrigeration is important too. The quicker your sauce can get chilled the better.

Offline jason83

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 03:15:21 AM »
You should be fine using it after 4 days.  You will know when tomato sauce is bad.  It will have a horrible sour taste and smell.  I once opened and smelled a plastic container of spolied sauce that was left behind other items in the cooler.  It felt like I was punched in the noise!!  It knocked my head right back!

Jason

Offline Bob1

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 06:23:52 AM »
I know this does not apply to your question about just tomatoes and salt, but it is a good practice.  I do not like to cook spiced sauce but if you decide to keep it in the fridge for a week it is a good practice to saute the herbs in a small amount of oil.  This way you sterilize the add ons.

Bob

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:21:23 AM »
Thanks guys for your help, it really puts everything in perspective.