Author Topic: To probe or not probe  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Bob1

To probe or not probe
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »
Hey guys,
I am installing a Casa90.  I have a hand held IR but it seems like the remote bulb probes might be nice also.  First of all what is the life of those things?

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Remote-Thermometer-for-Wood-Oven-p-16336.html

The second question would be floor, dome, or both?  I am not really worried about the cost.  Divided over the years it is really not that expensive.  All input would be appreciated.  The only one I think I remember that has one, is is the Conkster.  John I guess you are getting about the most burn time and diverse management skills by now by using two different ovens.  Are they worth it?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: To probe or not probe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »
If you can only measure one temperature, the most important will be the deck temperature which can easily be measured with an IR gun. I have a probe embedded in the dome which is pretty much useless for the things I bake.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
Thanks Bill,
I think the general concensus is going to agree with you.  My biggest fear is to bury one and have it fail.  It will haunt me if it does not work.  Especially if I only need it for convienance.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 07:12:15 AM »
Personally, I think that once you learn how your particular oven bakes, you'd probably start ignoring the gauges anyway. I think the IR gun is plenty, along with a gauge in the door for residual heat baking.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:34:09 AM »
Thanks Ev,
 The other day I ordered an extra 2" of Silica board and an extra roll of Silica wrap, and passed on the probe.  All said and done I should have 4" below and 6" sides and top.  I plan on pouring the hearth this weekend and doing the oven next weekend.  I got 5000 psi for the hearth.  It seems pretty easy setting up the oven but I will have to see about making an arch.  What kind of mortar do you use to attach it to the face of the oven?  I assume it has to be heat resistant.   I really did not read the details yet.  I also have no clue on the stucco part.  I see that I put chicken wire over the insulation and then cover that.  Do I need a special mix to seal the edges so water does not leak in?  I plan on building an igloo and then boxing it later.  Your oven came out very nice.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
Bob, I too wasn't sure if I should buy the oven probe when I was building my oven.  I decided against it and haven't regretted that decision. An IR is much more useful as you can get specific temps at various points in the oven. 

If you want to bake bread, you'll want to load the loaves at a hearth temp of around 500f.  An oven probe won't tell you that exactly.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
Thanks Bob.
 When I enclosed my oven, I needed to extend my outer arch about an inch and a half. I used a thin masonry blade on a hand grinder to cut slots in both the existing arch-face and the extension pieces to kind of lock them in place. In fact, I just bought a Casa 90 for a mobile project and intend on finishing that arch in the same way. I used Heatstop 50 for the mortar. So far, it's held up fine. No cracks.
 As for the dome, I recommend 3 inches of "vermicrete" over the chicken wire and another maybe 3/4 inch of stucco over that. It also wouldn't hurt to coat with a concrete sealer if the box is not to be completed right away. The vermicrete is a 6 to 1 mixture of vermiculite and portland.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
Thanks Ev,
Sounds easy enough.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
Chau,
Thanks,  it makes me feel good that every one is agreed on it.  I am looking forward to baking bread and slow roasting meats without having to maintain a fire.  I also want to experiment with low cal pizza.  It is an inside joke with my daughter and I.  It was one of Ralph Kramden's get rich quick schemes along with glow in the dark wall paper.  I have few ideas and hope they work out. 

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »
Ok, Pop Quiz for Chau. Without Googling, Who is Ralph Kramden? :-D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
Ok, Pop Quiz for Chau. Without Googling, Who is Ralph Kramden? :-D

He's too young. "To the moon"

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
I used my IR gun for about 6 months, now I no longer need or use it.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »

I used my IR gun for about 6 months, now I no longer need or use it.

I am hoping that will be the case for me.  I understand the dome changes color also.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
He's too young. "To the moon"

I am!  Sorry guys... :-D

pizzapan