Author Topic: why top of dough ball is used as top of pizza?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: why top of dough ball is used as top of pizza?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
jamie,

I was assuming that one treats the dough balls fairly gingerly when forming into skins, and that one tries to force the gases in the dough in the direction of the rim if one wants a larger rim. Having seen use of the Neapolitan "slap" method to form skins, I would think that that method would be less effective in achieving the results that I have seen Craig achieve using his methods.

Having re-thought the gravity explanation last night, I am not certain that I am convinced that gravity plays much of a role in a dough ball that is really not all that tall (that is, the difference in elevation between the top and bottom of a dough ball is small). In my experience, the dough becomes more gassy and bubbly in areas where the dough is in contact with a surface, such as the sides and bottoms of a storage container or the bottom of a dough box or tray, and cannot readily escape the bounds of the dough ball and, as a result, are trapped pretty much where they are formed. The area where the dough is exposed to the air might have some external surface bubbling but the bubbles are usually larger and more scattered and unlike the micro-bubbling that occurs where the dough is in contact with a surface as noted above. Those surface bubbles might commonly appear if a dough is highly fermented. Using a storage bag, such as a bread bag, might produce more uniform bubbling throughout the dough ball to the extent the that bag is fairly tight around the dough ball. Norma might be able to comment on the latter point since she uses bags at market.

You might try some experiments with your dough balls and skin forming methods and use your results for instructing your workers. 

Peter

Mal

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
I used to be real obsessive about this: making sure the top of the dough ball formed the side facing upwards. However since then, my experience suggests (to me) it makes very little difference. So honestly I don't really take notice anymore although I suspect simply from how I tend to stretch that the topside of my doughball is usually facing up at the end.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
jamie,

Those surface bubbles might commonly appear if a dough is highly fermented. Using a storage bag, such as a bread bag, might produce more uniform bubbling throughout the dough ball to the extent the that bag is fairly tight around the dough ball. Norma might be able to comment on the latter point since she uses bags at market.

You might try some experiments with your dough balls and skin forming methods and use your results for instructing your workers. 

Peter

Jamie,

I do use plastic bags like Peter mentioned at market.  I really haven't noticed any differences if I use the bottom of the dough ball, or the top of the dough ball for the skin in oven spring or anything else.  I also have tried doughs that are stored in individual plastic containers and they also act the same for me.  All depending on what dough formulation that is used, the rim rise seems about the same no matter which side of the dough ball is used.  I have tried doughs that are higher in hydration and doughs that are lower in hydration.

For me, the jury is still out if it really matters if the top of the dough ball or the bottom of the dough ball is used.  So far I haven't seen any differences.  I think it all depends on handling methods in opening a dough ball, but sure don't know.  :-\ I haven't tried to put multiple dough balls into a larger dough container to see what happens. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jamieg

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:48 PM »
Thanks everybody.

Perhaps, we are just talking aesthetics afterall.

Obviously, it would be great to keep the discussion going if anybody else can shed light on this debate.

I will certainly post again - if I find the time to run a worthwhile test.

:-)