Author Topic: My WFO design  (Read 9073 times)

Offline adios pantalones

Re: My WFO design
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »
AP, I'm confident that you're going to have no problem getting the heat out of your setup.

Btw, speaking of kilns and pizza (and reduction), have you seen this?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15696.0.html

That's pretty funny. They'd have a hard time firing too much pottery in it after making pizzas- the elements get stuff condensed on them and corrode at high temps.

If you ever get a cheap electric kiln on Craigslist to experiment with- watch out- some low fire glaze chemicals are volatile. You could have a heavy metal condensing out on your cheese

Offline adios pantalones

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »
In my opinion, it is not worth the effort.  You end up with an appliance that is "OK" for the multiple uses, but not optimized for either.  Better to build the smoker next to the oven, or the fireplace next to oven, or the grill next to the oven, rather than try and bastardize a combination that is a compromise of both.

I appreciate the words, and you may be right- except that "the effort" is the fun of it for me.

I could be more efficient in the boudoir too, I suppose  ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »
Yes, if that is the aspect that interests you then full speed ahead, Damn the torpedoes!

scott123

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 10:18:05 PM »
That's pretty funny. They'd have a hard time firing too much pottery in it after making pizzas- the elements get stuff condensed on them and corrode at high temps.

From the glow of the red emanating from the kiln, it looks to me that they're running these at pretty high temps. Do you think the elements might be corroding now?

Offline adios pantalones

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »
From the glow of the red emanating from the kiln, it looks to me that they're running these at pretty high temps. Do you think the elements might be corroding now?

I think elements are always in the process of oxidizing. If they run these at a high setting they will likely fail earlier than elements in a system designed for pizza, but they may have a good service life- I couldn't say.

There are coatings that you can put in a kiln that help reflect heat and resist corrosive atmospheres, and coatings for elements that will help them resist corrosion. Some fairly respected people make amazing claims about "ITC 100" and "ITC 213" slashing their electric bills and saving element life.

pizzapan