Author Topic: Whole Milk Mozz (low moisture) vs Part Skim  (Read 533 times)

Offline Matt W

• I Love Pizza!
Whole Milk Mozz (low moisture) vs Part Skim
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
Having made a return trip to Chicago within the last month, I noticed that Giordanos cheese seemed more gooey and rich than the Part Skim cheese that I've used for years.  My question is, what are most people on this site using?

I'm guessing maybe a combo of both.  (I'm not worried about fat content, I'm about trying to reproduce the best quality deep dish) 

In a few trips to local cheese shops and grocery stores I'm not seeing the Whole Milk low moisture cheese in my area....so I'm starting to think that's something that's hard to find (not in great demand) in areas that aren't huge metro areas. 

In making a 12" Giordanos (thin dough layer on top) on my end I noticed that the 16oz of cheese (shredded in this instance) did not seem like nearly the amount of cheese that was plentiful on the pizza that I had in Chicago. 

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks. 

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Whole Milk Mozz (low moisture) vs Part Skim
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
Matt,

Giordanos uses a 50/50 (whole/part skim) blend of Stella mozzarella.  Every cheese melts, stretches and tastes different.   1lb of cheese should be good for a 12 inch stuffed pizza.   Are you not able to find whole milk mozzarella even behind the deli counter?  Your best bet would be to make friends with a pizza shop owner and see if they will sell you 5lbs here and there.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Matt W

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
Matt,

Giordanos uses a 50/50 (whole/part skim) blend of Stella mozzarella.  Every cheese melts, stretches and tastes different.   1lb of cheese should be good for a 12 inch stuffed pizza.   Are you not able to find whole milk mozzarella even behind the deli counter?  Your best bet would be to make friends with a pizza shop owner and see if they will sell you 5lbs here and there.

Nate

The grocery stores out here do not have the whole milk behind the deli counter, nope, I was on my search last week and found this out.  (out here in the Dakotas the tastes are fairly..bland..honestly)

I like your idea about the pizza place.  Can do. 

Thanks for your feedback. 

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »
Don't know where you live but I have gotten some at a business Costco. Normally in 5 lb blocks mimimum. Good price too around $3 per lb. Last time I was there I got some part skim for $1.81 per lb. That was about 2 months ago, I thought it was mis marked at first.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
Don't know where you live but I have gotten some at a business Costco. Normally in 5 lb blocks mimimum. Good price too around $3 per lb. Last time I was there I got some part skim for $1.81 per lb. That was about 2 months ago, I thought it was mis marked at first.

The Costco business center has an excellent WM Mozz I heard.  Forgot the name of it though.  Some female italian name or something.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline lc1064

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
I get Bella Rosa whole milk blocks from Costco buisness and they are very good. They used to carry other brands, but that's the only one I've seen lately