Author Topic: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM  (Read 12435 times)

Offline PASTAFAZOOL

BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
Don't feed into the hype of that "other" cheese because there is finally a new boss in town with the kiss of buffala!!!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the advertisement. How is normal mozzarella "hyped"? Anyway, here is your website:

http://www.baciocheese.com/

John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »
I have tried it a number of times to give it the "benefit of the doubt" thinking maybe the first batch was a bad batch, or it was improperly handled.   I even got it directly from PFG so there was no middleman to leave it sitting out for a day by accident.

I was not that impressed.  The flavor was ok, but I have had better.  It didn't taste like there was any buffala in there to me, so I think the percentage of cows milk must be quite high.   Also, this cheese doesn't have a great resistance to burning (like bufala), so I was forced to run my oven at 625 which is lower than I typically want to.   That messed up the crust consistency I was going for.   Aged cheeses like Poly-0, grande, and a number of "budget" cheeses I have tried do a much better job of resisting burning.  

If I was a typical pizzeria making 550 degree pies, this would be a contender for sure... but the end all be all cheese it is not, especially considering that its the most expensive aged cheese I have ever purchased.    

Interestingly it is the pizza cheese used at Gillette Stadium, so you can taste it there.          
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:31:32 AM by scott r »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
Looks interesting, perhaps the company will send us all a free sample....imagine the feedback if the stuff passed muster with this crowd!  >:D

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
Did somebody actually post in new members an outright advertisement with no redeeming social pizza value?  Why was this not deleted by the forum administrator?  Just wondering... I though such was the bacio of death to a post....

Ron

By the way, I now have a very unfavorable opinion of the Bacio cheese company, very tacky.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:31 AM »
Did somebody actually post in new members an outright advertisement with no redeeming social pizza value?  Why was this not deleted by the forum administrator?  Just wondering... I though such was the bacio of death to a post....

Ron

By the way, I now have a very unfavorable opinion of the Bacio cheese company, very tacky.

Sometimes we wait to see how it develops unless we are certain the post is from a shill. If the poster is a shill, he/she will quickly learn that the members here are not fools and that their post can do more harm than good. Although some other moderator may delete this thread, I think there is nice form of wild-west justice to this exchange, leaving this thread here as a warning to others who might be tempted to mislead or manipulate the membership.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »

Ron

i concur, sir. bad move, guys. get your pitchforks and broomsticks... i declare shenanigans!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »
Bill/SFNM beat me to the punch on this one. But, to add to what Bill said, spammers usually try to slip links into their posts or in signature lines or with their avatars. Maybe the new member is just a big fan of the Bacio cheese and wants to shout it out to the world. Even if the member is a spammer, I would not want to delete the post by scott r or the other members with opinions and views on the Bacio cheese.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
i concur, sir. bad move, guys. get your pitchforks and broomsticks... i declare shenanigans!
I got my water tommygun all loaded an ready to go weemis....we're all behind you brother!   >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
I went to the restaurant of a family friend last weekend. I hadn't been there in several months. After I commented on how much I liked the cheese, he told me that he switched over from Grande to Bacio and he's really happy with the results. He gave me a "loaf"" which in this case is over 6 pounds. I'll make some pizza over the weekend and post the results.

I can't give a great comparison since I don't make much pizza at home these days and I usually use Polly-O part skim cheese. I also have a Wolf wall oven and it doesn't get nearly as hot as I would like.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
I went to the restaurant of a family friend last weekend. I hadn't been there in several months. After I commented on how much I liked the cheese, he told me that he switched over from Grande to Bacio and he's really happy with the results. He gave me a "loaf"" which in this case is over 6 pounds. I'll make some pizza over the weekend and post the results.

I can't give a great comparison since I don't make much pizza at home these days and I usually use Polly-O part skim cheese. I also have a Wolf wall oven and it doesn't get nearly as hot as I would like.
Hmmm..that already sorta sounds like Bacio has passed a blind taste test. Did you know that your friend's pizza was "usually" made with  Grande?
Good luck with your experiment mivler an thanks for posting.

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 04:29:27 AM »
I also have a Wolf wall oven and it doesn't get nearly as hot as I would like.

With the right stone, you should be able to get some very fast bake times from a Wolf.

The bake time and thickness factor go a long way in judging cheese, but, even with a longer bake, you should see a night and day difference between the Bacio and the Polly-O part skim.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
Every time I go there I'm thrilled with the pizza. I wasn't aware of what cheese he had used before or even specifically notice a difference; I just thought it was really good. Since Iíve been frustrated with the cheese Iíve been using recently, I commented on his cheese. Since he has a very successful restaurant and the pizza is great, I have very little doubt that the reason he switched was because he thought it was better (although in retrospect I canít say that I specifically asked him if thatís why he switched over).  Unfortunately for me, after I work my way through the hunk of cheese he gave me, I probably wonít have any way to get more. At least itís inspired me to make a bunch of pizza this weekend.

When I commented that I have never seen Bacio cheese in the supermarket, he said than I should try to get Grande, (which is when he told me thatís what he used to use). 

The stone I use for the pizza is the one that I got with the oven (Wolf pizza stone?). My oven also has a ďbread bakingĒ, or something like that, setting. Iíve found that the regular bake works better for pizza but the bread setting works better for non-enriched breads. Even if I wait 10 minutes between pizzas the first pizza will brown well on the bottom each subsequent pizza will look more and more pale.
This will likely be an issue this weekend as Iím hoping to feed a group of 10.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
Maybe your friend will let you start buying cheese from him.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:52 AM »
That would be nice but he's over 2 hours away. My in-laws know him from eating there all the time. I only get there when I'm visiting them, although it does give me a good reason to look forward to visiting them.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
That would be nice but he's over 2 hours away. My in-laws know him from eating there all the time. I only get there when I'm visiting them, although it does give me a good reason to look forward to visiting them.
In another thread I just talked about the good results I've had freezing both shredded and block cheese.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Thanks, with a loaf that's well over 6 pounds (not to mention the cheese I already had since I wasn't expecting to come home with this cheese), I plan to freeze a good portion of it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
My Wolf Howls !! 625 -  650 element right under stone and Bake stone setting ! thats why I bought this oven I have posted pics somewhere?
Amazing how we go from cheese to ovens!
Anyeho, Let us know how thew cheese is?  I have never seen it to try ? Must be good it says Italian Pizza cheese on wrapper  ;)
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
It says "exceptional" too. I can't imagine why anyone would doubt the wrapper.

How hot does your oven claim to get? Any way to trick it to get hotter without breaking it?

Offline scott123

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
The stone I use for the pizza is the one that I got with the oven (Wolf pizza stone?). My oven also has a ďbread bakingĒ, or something like that, setting. Iíve found that the regular bake works better for pizza but the bread setting works better for non-enriched breads. Even if I wait 10 minutes between pizzas the first pizza will brown well on the bottom each subsequent pizza will look more and more pale.
This will likely be an issue this weekend as Iím hoping to feed a group of 10.

How long are you pre-heating for? The stone that comes with the Wolf oven isn't the thickest you can get, but it's got more thermal mass than most, which should go a long way in recovery between pies.

That being said, if you can reliably hit 625, 1/2" steel will give you blazingly fast bakes with enough thermal mass to pump out at least 5 pies in a row.

As far as this weekend goes, do you have access to a second stone?  If you can stack two stones together and end up sitting relatively flat, you can improve your recovery for your party. 10 minutes between pies is kind of ridiculous.

pizzapan