Author Topic: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM  (Read 17636 times)

Offline PASTAFAZOOL

BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
Don't feed into the hype of that "other" cheese because there is finally a new boss in town with the kiss of buffala!!!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the advertisement. How is normal mozzarella "hyped"? Anyway, here is your website:

http://www.baciocheese.com/

John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »
I have tried it a number of times to give it the "benefit of the doubt" thinking maybe the first batch was a bad batch, or it was improperly handled.   I even got it directly from PFG so there was no middleman to leave it sitting out for a day by accident.

I was not that impressed.  The flavor was ok, but I have had better.  It didn't taste like there was any buffala in there to me, so I think the percentage of cows milk must be quite high.   Also, this cheese doesn't have a great resistance to burning (like bufala), so I was forced to run my oven at 625 which is lower than I typically want to.   That messed up the crust consistency I was going for.   Aged cheeses like Poly-0, grande, and a number of "budget" cheeses I have tried do a much better job of resisting burning.  

If I was a typical pizzeria making 550 degree pies, this would be a contender for sure... but the end all be all cheese it is not, especially considering that its the most expensive aged cheese I have ever purchased.    

Interestingly it is the pizza cheese used at Gillette Stadium, so you can taste it there.          
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:31:32 AM by scott r »

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
Looks interesting, perhaps the company will send us all a free sample....imagine the feedback if the stuff passed muster with this crowd!  >:D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
Did somebody actually post in new members an outright advertisement with no redeeming social pizza value?  Why was this not deleted by the forum administrator?  Just wondering... I though such was the bacio of death to a post....

Ron

By the way, I now have a very unfavorable opinion of the Bacio cheese company, very tacky.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:31 AM »
Did somebody actually post in new members an outright advertisement with no redeeming social pizza value?  Why was this not deleted by the forum administrator?  Just wondering... I though such was the bacio of death to a post....

Ron

By the way, I now have a very unfavorable opinion of the Bacio cheese company, very tacky.

Sometimes we wait to see how it develops unless we are certain the post is from a shill. If the poster is a shill, he/she will quickly learn that the members here are not fools and that their post can do more harm than good. Although some other moderator may delete this thread, I think there is nice form of wild-west justice to this exchange, leaving this thread here as a warning to others who might be tempted to mislead or manipulate the membership.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »

Ron

i concur, sir. bad move, guys. get your pitchforks and broomsticks... i declare shenanigans!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »
Bill/SFNM beat me to the punch on this one. But, to add to what Bill said, spammers usually try to slip links into their posts or in signature lines or with their avatars. Maybe the new member is just a big fan of the Bacio cheese and wants to shout it out to the world. Even if the member is a spammer, I would not want to delete the post by scott r or the other members with opinions and views on the Bacio cheese.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
i concur, sir. bad move, guys. get your pitchforks and broomsticks... i declare shenanigans!
I got my water tommygun all loaded an ready to go weemis....we're all behind you brother!   >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
I went to the restaurant of a family friend last weekend. I hadn't been there in several months. After I commented on how much I liked the cheese, he told me that he switched over from Grande to Bacio and he's really happy with the results. He gave me a "loaf"" which in this case is over 6 pounds. I'll make some pizza over the weekend and post the results.

I can't give a great comparison since I don't make much pizza at home these days and I usually use Polly-O part skim cheese. I also have a Wolf wall oven and it doesn't get nearly as hot as I would like.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
I went to the restaurant of a family friend last weekend. I hadn't been there in several months. After I commented on how much I liked the cheese, he told me that he switched over from Grande to Bacio and he's really happy with the results. He gave me a "loaf"" which in this case is over 6 pounds. I'll make some pizza over the weekend and post the results.

I can't give a great comparison since I don't make much pizza at home these days and I usually use Polly-O part skim cheese. I also have a Wolf wall oven and it doesn't get nearly as hot as I would like.
Hmmm..that already sorta sounds like Bacio has passed a blind taste test. Did you know that your friend's pizza was "usually" made with  Grande?
Good luck with your experiment mivler an thanks for posting.

scott123

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 04:29:27 AM »
I also have a Wolf wall oven and it doesn't get nearly as hot as I would like.

With the right stone, you should be able to get some very fast bake times from a Wolf.

The bake time and thickness factor go a long way in judging cheese, but, even with a longer bake, you should see a night and day difference between the Bacio and the Polly-O part skim.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
Every time I go there I'm thrilled with the pizza. I wasn't aware of what cheese he had used before or even specifically notice a difference; I just thought it was really good. Since Iíve been frustrated with the cheese Iíve been using recently, I commented on his cheese. Since he has a very successful restaurant and the pizza is great, I have very little doubt that the reason he switched was because he thought it was better (although in retrospect I canít say that I specifically asked him if thatís why he switched over).  Unfortunately for me, after I work my way through the hunk of cheese he gave me, I probably wonít have any way to get more. At least itís inspired me to make a bunch of pizza this weekend.

When I commented that I have never seen Bacio cheese in the supermarket, he said than I should try to get Grande, (which is when he told me thatís what he used to use). 

The stone I use for the pizza is the one that I got with the oven (Wolf pizza stone?). My oven also has a ďbread bakingĒ, or something like that, setting. Iíve found that the regular bake works better for pizza but the bread setting works better for non-enriched breads. Even if I wait 10 minutes between pizzas the first pizza will brown well on the bottom each subsequent pizza will look more and more pale.
This will likely be an issue this weekend as Iím hoping to feed a group of 10.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
Maybe your friend will let you start buying cheese from him.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:52 AM »
That would be nice but he's over 2 hours away. My in-laws know him from eating there all the time. I only get there when I'm visiting them, although it does give me a good reason to look forward to visiting them.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
That would be nice but he's over 2 hours away. My in-laws know him from eating there all the time. I only get there when I'm visiting them, although it does give me a good reason to look forward to visiting them.
In another thread I just talked about the good results I've had freezing both shredded and block cheese.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Thanks, with a loaf that's well over 6 pounds (not to mention the cheese I already had since I wasn't expecting to come home with this cheese), I plan to freeze a good portion of it.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
My Wolf Howls !! 625 -  650 element right under stone and Bake stone setting ! thats why I bought this oven I have posted pics somewhere?
Amazing how we go from cheese to ovens!
Anyeho, Let us know how thew cheese is?  I have never seen it to try ? Must be good it says Italian Pizza cheese on wrapper  ;)
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
It says "exceptional" too. I can't imagine why anyone would doubt the wrapper.

How hot does your oven claim to get? Any way to trick it to get hotter without breaking it?

scott123

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
The stone I use for the pizza is the one that I got with the oven (Wolf pizza stone?). My oven also has a ďbread bakingĒ, or something like that, setting. Iíve found that the regular bake works better for pizza but the bread setting works better for non-enriched breads. Even if I wait 10 minutes between pizzas the first pizza will brown well on the bottom each subsequent pizza will look more and more pale.
This will likely be an issue this weekend as Iím hoping to feed a group of 10.

How long are you pre-heating for? The stone that comes with the Wolf oven isn't the thickest you can get, but it's got more thermal mass than most, which should go a long way in recovery between pies.

That being said, if you can reliably hit 625, 1/2" steel will give you blazingly fast bakes with enough thermal mass to pump out at least 5 pies in a row.

As far as this weekend goes, do you have access to a second stone?  If you can stack two stones together and end up sitting relatively flat, you can improve your recovery for your party. 10 minutes between pies is kind of ridiculous.

scott123

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 01:51:38 PM »
How hot does your oven claim to get? Any way to trick it to get hotter without breaking it?

If your oven can hit 625, that's more then enough for any NY style bake time.

Is your oven gas or electric? Does it have a broiler in the main compartment? What's the peak temp on the dial?

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »
The dial goes up to 550. I think that's pretty accurate but I'll take the oven temp tomorrow and let you know. Where do I get 1/2 inch steel and how long does it take to heat up? As you mentioned, the stone is pretty thick but I'm sure there are thicker stones out there. I kind of got lucky that we had to postpone the guests until Nov 4 so tomorrow it will just be me and my family so I can take some more notes about recovery time and oven temp. I would be less likely to take notes if I had a bunch of guests over. I also don't have to worry about feeding the hungry masses. Before I bake Iíll read up on wrapping and freezing cheese since Iím sure thereís no way I can get through all that cheese.

My oven is electric and it does have a broil setting. Browning the top generally isn't the problem; it's the bottom after the first pizza. Since I tend to make several pizzas in a row, by the third pizza it's totally pale on the bottom. 
I generally use the regular bake when I make pizza since based on my nonscientific observations, the bake stone setting doesn't heat the bottom as much. I believe on bake setting the bottom of breads over-cooks and it tends to come out just right with the bake stone setting. If anyone knows that I'm not correct about that I would really like to know since I do switch up the settings and I'm not certain which does a better job.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »
 I made several pizzas with the Bacio cheese( I was hoping that I would have been able to post some pictures but I wonít be able to do that until tonight or tomorrow)

My opinion is that Bacio is better than Polly-O but I wasnít wowed.  Again, for the record, Iíve been using Polly-O part skim for a while and I havenít been happy.  Bacio acted and tasted how I would have expected a good cheese but Iím not an expert so itís really hard for me to say what anyone who has been using Grande (or any other high-end cheese) would think. Also, Iím apparently having oven temp issues so this wasnít really ideal testing conditions.
I was very happy when I grated it that it wasnít too moist so it made less of a mess than what Iím used to. To me, its very creamy and a little salty before I cooked it. It had a good flavor but I didnít think (other than the creaminess) it was special.  When spreading the cheese on the pizza, it was easier to work with than Polly-O since it didnít clump as much (firmer) and spreading  it quickly and evenly was pretty easy. This may have been because I usually let the cheese sit out in my warm kitchen out of the fridge for longer.

Iíve had some issues with my oven/stone temperature so you have to take the next part with a grain of salt. It usually takes so long for the pizza crust to brown that often the cheese is too brown by then. Although I donít mind it, my kids wonít eat it when the cheese is brown. With that said, I didnít really have that problem with Bacio, it browned a little but I think the amount was fine. I also think it was related to the temp of my oven.

Out of the oven the cheese stretch was good and it clung to the pizza as I expected it to. Sometimes with Polly-O park skim, the entire cheese comes off the slice with my first bite especially as it begins to cool. This didnít happen with Bacio. The cheese tasted and felt good in my mouth but I canít honestly say that the cheese stood out. Maybe I should have made one with minimum sauce so I could have tasted the cheese better. It did play a very nice supporting role in the overall pizza.
I did have another issue with the bottom crust being a little soggy. Unfortunately there were a lot of variables at play here so I canít say for certain that it was the cheese, but I suspect that it was related. I used a different dough recipe than usual and I also made my own sauce (which I donít often do).
I thought that using whole cheese would make my pizza a little oily but I didnít find this to be a bad thing at all with the Bacio cheese.

As the result of my experimentation Iíve learned that my oven doesnít get nearly as hot as it should (which is likely why I havenít been very happy with my pizzas in a while. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the pizza that I had at my friendís restaurant was great (same cheese). Although I was commenting more on the texture and stretch than the flavor of the cheese.
Iím not sure if my review was helpful but I if anyone else tries it would be curious about their opinion.
Regarding my oven. I put this chart together regarding temp and times. Unfortunately for me Iím in the process of moving (could be 6 months) but Iím trying not to put too much money into the house so unless I have an oven problem I can fix myself, I may need to figure ways around my oven issues. I have a double oven so the next time I think about it Iím going to test the temp of the other oven. My wolf oven with the wolf stone (in my opinion, one of the thicker stones out there). I was taking the stone temp but towards the end I realized that the oven and the stone were the same temp so I donít think itís a stone issue, I think itís the oven.

Hereís the chart I made:
Elapsed
Time   temp (f)   comment               
                  turn oven on            
1:03   486   oven thinks it hits 550         
0:10   485   temp check            
0:07   490   final check            
0:02   488   pizza in (an hour and 22 minutes after I turned oven on)
0:06   385   pizza out   (baked about 6-7 minutes)      
0:06   450   temp check               
0:05   474   pizza in               
0:06   371   pizza out   (bake about 6-7 minutes lose of 103 degrees)
0:10   465   temp check

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
Pictures

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
She makes better pies than 99% of the World.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan