Author Topic: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM  (Read 12910 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 12:51:39 AM »
Seconding the post above:

Why is it that the public is restricted from buying restaurant quality goods?   It makes no sense to me at all.  I ask out of genuine puzzlement, not trying to start a battle.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 01:19:53 AM »
Why is it that the public is restricted from buying restaurant quality goods?   It makes no sense to me at all.  I ask out of genuine puzzlement, not trying to start a battle.

It makes perfect sense. If a meaningful number of people were willing to pay, everyone would be willing to sell. Nobody is restricting restaurant-quality products. Realistically speaking, nobody wants them in consumer packaging - there simply are not enough people who are willing to pay for the quality to make it worthwhile to anyone in the value chain. Retail shelf space is extremely valuable, and retailers are not going to allocate it to low volume duplicate items no matter how good they are. Likewise, processing capacity is a limited resource for manufacturers, and they are not going to reduce efficiency by making extra changeovers to accommodate low volume items no matter how good they are. Thank Walmart and the others trying to keep up with them for forcing manufacturers to lower the quality of their items for the sake of lower cost. Thank the consumers flocking to Walmart expecting ever lower prices. Thank fast food and prepared food for lowering the demand for ingredient foodstuffs.

You can go out and buy all the restaurant quality goods you want. The problem is not that you are restricted from buying them but rather that you don't want to buy restaurant-sized packages.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:40 AM »
Then let's work on solving this problem, at least in our little corner of the cooking world...  has this been posted about before in a systemic way? 

Create buying groups distributed by geography, IE NorthEast, MidAtlantic, MidSouth, MidWest...  zones where the shipping is base price.  Buy in bulk, divide it and send it out.  All you would need is a Paypal and UPS account.  Or use the US Mail flat rate.

I know this would entail some effort, but it would seem to be a logical step to address the quality disparity.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »
Man, I've been trying something similar to that for a while now, in my Columbus, Ohio thread, which I started largely to find buddies who might be willing to go in on cases of things like Grande mozzarella. And although probably 7 or 8 central Ohioans have contributed to that thread, and at least one person has even shown considerable interest in splitting a case of Grande cheese, nothing real has happened yet, excluding the case of pepperoni that Nick (weemis) and I are going to split in a few days. But the pepperoni deal probably would have happened even if I had never started the thread, since Nick and I have actually met up a couple times already, and because we are both very active participants on these boards.

It's frustrating, especially because I'm willing to buy 15 or 20 lbs of cheese, which should make it easier to find people willing to split the rest. But I guess there just aren't many people who, like me, make pizza every day for months straight. Since I make so much pizza, I guess I have kinda lost touch with the reality that 5 or 6 lbs of cheese is a buttload to most other people; even most other pizza geeks.

It's also frustrating because of the possibility that people might make a commitment to buying part of a case and then back out after you buy the stuff. And I really don't want to deal with the various hassles involved with shipping to other members or having them ship something to me. So trying to coordinate such an effort has not been fun. And I still don't have any Grande mozzarella.

But you know what? More central Ohioans will eventually become pizzamaking.com members and see my Columbus thread, which means eventually there will be more local folks who will consider doing group buys. I've planted the seed, and it's sprouting a little. So I encourage y'all to consider doing the same thing in an effort to create a network of members in your area. Maybe you'll get more bites than I have.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
AimlessRyan,

I have found that most Pizzerias will be happy to sell you a bag or block of Grande cheese at a little higher price. Also, they too, are committed by their cheese distributors to purchase larger quantities in order to get a better price. (Some are on monthly contracts with required minimun orders) Therefore, everyone benefits on this. If one Pizzeria says no, then ask another one. You will find someone willing to sell you a bag or block of Grande or Bacio.

TomN
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:08:06 PM by TomN »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
Tom, thanks for sharing your experience in that department. That's something I've actually been thinking about doing for years, ever since a Grande sales rep (or a distributor salesman) suggested that I approach a specific pizzeria about buying Grande mozzarella from them.

If I try that place and have no luck, it would probably be pretty hard to find another pizzeria in central Ohio that even uses Grande mozzarella since provolone is pretty standard in these parts. But maybe your experience will motivate me to give it a try.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
I often find it best when you eat Pizza at a Pizzeria on a regular basis, where they know you by name, then they are more willing to sell you some of their products. Once in a while, when i am too tired, i have even bought dough from a pizzeria. Just bring your own plastic freezer bag and have them put in a dough ball or two. i have even purchased a cup of sauce from different pizzerias as well. You would be surprise how much you could purchase by asking nice.

"Hey, I eat here all the time and i know that you use grande cheese on your pizza. Would it be possible to buy a bag from you? I want to cook a few things at home and this cheese is really great stuff. Thank you so very much. I am willing to pay you a little more for it than what you purchased it for. Thanks again."

Offline TheDude

• Ammazza Pizza
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 02:24:51 AM »
You are seeing Bacio in places because Roma aka Performance Food Group had a "break up" with Grande.  So if you are a PFG customer, Grande is no longer available...they are pushing Bacio.  I don't know the back story, but I'm guessing it's business...ie $$$.

As to sourcing....I'm in the Atlanta area and own a pizzeria.  If you need Grande, 00 flour, Alta Cucina, whatever...shoot me a message and I would be happy to help out/talk shop whatever.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »
yeah, same thing here with my new england area pfg/roma.... grande is gone and they are pushing bacio really hard.     such a bummer as grande is better with high heat.   

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
Hello Scott R,

I have had Grande many times, but not Bacio cheese. In your opinion, which cheese tastes better? Is there a big difference in taste with the Buffalo milk added to the Bacio cheese. Thank you

TomN
PS
I would love to hear comments from anyone else that has tried the two cheeses. I am looking for Flavor.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:53 PM »
Is it difficult to get  UPS account....I hear it is waaay cheaper than anything else  Thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »
Not difficult whatsoever, Bob.  Here's the link.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/start/account.html

If you want to do this, I suggest signing up with Paypal.  I've used it for about 10 years now, and it's been hassle-free. Local payments, long-distance payments, no problem.  A buddy in Belgium contracted me for some embroidery digitizing- paid through Paypal, had the money in my bank account within 24 hours.  It's actually more of an international online bank - you can get a debit card, invest your balance in short-term yields, the works.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:13:39 PM by pizzaneer »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »
Hello Scott R,

I have had Grande many times, but not Bacio cheese. In your opinion, which cheese tastes better? Is there a big difference in taste with the Buffalo milk added to the Bacio cheese. Thank you

TomN
PS
I would love to hear comments from anyone else that has tried the two cheeses. I am looking for Flavor.

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE TWO CHEESES AND CAN GIVE US YOUR THOUGHTS?  THANK YOU

TomN

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »

If you want to do this, I suggest signing up with Paypal.  I've used it for about 10 years now, and it's been hassle-free. Local payments, long-distance payments, no problem.  A buddy in Belgium contracted me for some embroidery digitizing- paid through Paypal, had the money in my bank account within 24 hours.  It's actually more of an international online bank - you can get a debit card, invest your balance in short-term yields, the works.

Thank you Brian, you are a gentleman and a scholar...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
Hello Scott R,

TomN
PS

I tried bacio again and could not detect any flavor of buffalo milk.   as far as mozzarella goes, its definitely not bad.   It tastes better than many, but not as good as some.   Grande is also not the most flavorful, but it has a better resistance to burning at high temps.    I think between the two I would choose grande, but oven temp has such a big effect on cheese flavor.    I tend to bake with a 700ish floor temp when im using aged cheeses like this, and if you are running 550 you might have a different opinion.   

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »

Is this the same type of account that I hear of people getting Deep discounts on their shipping needs...do you need to do X amount of business with them to get realistice prices'

Offline Pappy

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
You are seeing Bacio in places because Roma aka Performance Food Group had a "break up" with Grande.  So if you are a PFG customer, Grande is no longer available...they are pushing Bacio.  I don't know the back story, but I'm guessing it's business...ie $$$.

My understanding is that Grande wanted PFG to carry them exclusively; when PFG refused, Grande bolted.  Not sure who has them now.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 08:08:35 PM »
I just want some cheese at a FAIR price man...... ;)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »
I just want some cheese at a FAIR price man...... ;)

There is always Walmart...
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »
There is always Walmart...
Boy, ya know ...I had almost forgot about that. Is that  where you buy your cheese?