Author Topic: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: BACIO IS THE CHEESE OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »
Boy, ya know ...I had almost forgot about that. Is that  where you buy your cheese?

Craig's cheese comes straight from the Vatican.  Let me go find the link...
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »
They got Walmarts in Rome?  Costs extree for the blessing I suppose though.....sounds kinda pricey.  :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »
Boy, ya know ...I had almost forgot about that. Is that  where you buy your cheese?

Depends on the cheese.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:45 AM »
Depends on the cheese.
Ummm...the type that Gene is talk'in 'bout......?   ;)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 12:54:21 AM »
Craig's cheese comes straight from the Vatican.  Let me go find the link...

This is what I was telling you about, Boob :  http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Security/?id=1.0.2015946231
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »
I did a shoot out at a pizzeria with bacio and grande today.     This was a fairly hot oven... 650 on the floor.     Bacio definitely tasted better, but burned sooner.  A few of the employees were used as taste testers, and even with the extra browning everyone choose bacio.   I think in a normal 550 degree oven bacio would be the cheese to get.   Something has changed since the first time I tried this cheese.   Its tasting better than it did when it first came out.   Watch out grande  :o
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:34:12 PM by scott r »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
I did a shoot out at a pizzeria with bacio and grande today.     This was a fairly hot oven... 650 on the floor.     Bacio definitely tasted better, but burned sooner.  A few of the employees were used as taste testers, and even with the extra browning everyone choose bacio.   I think in a normal 550 degree oven bacio would be the cheese to get.   Something has changed since the first time I tried this cheese.   Its tasting better than it did when it first came out.   Watch out grande  :o

I am curious to know the price comparrion results? Can you post them for us? I am aware that different parts of the country will have different pricing, but I still want to see them. Thanks!

TomN
PS
Did you take any photos of the pizzas, side by side????
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:08:12 PM by TomN »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
I paid the same price for both grande and baccio.... $2.98 a pound I think.       Sorry, I dont usually take pics.   

Offline Zing

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
Back on May 29, 2012, Bill/SFNM wrote:

"Sometimes we wait to see how it develops unless we are certain the post is from a shill. If the poster is a shill, he/she will quickly learn that the members here are not fools and that their post can do more harm than good. Although some other moderator may delete this thread, I think there is nice form of wild-west justice to this exchange, leaving this thread here as a warning to others who might be tempted to mislead or manipulate the membership."

Where the marketing guy who started this thread screwed up is that he thought this was a pizza INDUSTRY website, rather than a ENTHUSIASTS website. We attempt to clone pizzas here. As for wild west justice, maybe we can figure out who is making, slicing, and wrapping Bacio cheese for Performance Food Group. You see, there is no bricks and mortar cheese factory with a USDA plant number on it issued to Bacio Cheese Company. I am noticing that several of the really large foodservice companies are developing over-the-top marketing strategies whose only purpose can be to "mislead or manipulate" restaurant owners and customers.

I first ran across this a year ago when a little old lady I know asked me where she could buy Rituals brand tea, supposedly turned out by the Rituals Coffee Company. Turns out it is a house brand of US Foodservice. They don't sell cash-and-carry. For some time now, I have been compiling a list of all known California cheese (particularly mozzarella) makers, trying to figure out where Shakey's is getting their cheese from. Bacio's website says their cheese is made in California's San Joaquin Valley. But I could not determine where the plant was. No D&B report is available for Bacio Cheese Company. All signs point to Performance Food Group/Vistar/Roma Foods. They don't sell cash-and-carry either. So they are fair game for amateur pizza makers!

Performance does run a slice and wrap cheese plant in Rice, Minnesota. But I strongly suspect Performance is merely buying pizza cheese from some of the biggest players in the San Joaquin Valley, such as Dairy Farmers of America, Lactalis/Mozzarella Fresca/Galbani, Leprino Foods, and Saputo. They don't seem to be content slapping just their house brand label on it anymore. Now they have to come up with fantasies of some artisan cheesemaking operation. For the mom-and-pop pizzeria owner who likes to buy quality products, he might not want to buy a brand he associates with cheap or house brand cheese. However, he might take a chance with the "Bacio Cheese Company". The other thing Bacio does not specify is the percentage of buffalo milk in their cheese. So now the ESL pizzeria owner may tell customers his pizza cheese "is made with buffalo milk". Of course, we here all know the majority of the milk came from a cow.

So, maybe we can figure out who the real manufacturer(s) of Bacio cheese is/are.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:18:58 PM by Zing »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
All I know is that if there is any buffalo milk actually in there I cant taste it.     

Offline Zing

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Mystery solved. Bacio Cheese Co. = Leprino Foods. See my post here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30138.0

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
All I know is that if there is any buffalo milk actually in there I cant taste it.     

I couldn't taste anything in it. I'm dead serious.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
I couldn't taste anything in it. I'm dead serious.
So where is this new cheese of The Millennium(correct spelling ;))....pizzamakers wanna know!!

Bob

Offline Zing

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »
As I posted on another thread last night,
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30138.msg303538#msg303538
there are several people listed on linkedin.com that claim they are with the Bacio Cheese Company. It is conceivable someone repping Bacio Cheese started this thread, as we now know Leprino and/or PFG pay or paid people to hype Bacio Cheese.

While Hobbs might be easily able to walk in off the street in Winston-Salem, NC and buy some, the rest of us are not so lucky. So reviews are helpful to us in deciding if it is worth it to jump over hoops to buy some.

The marketing of Bacio cheese, which includes contests and offers of samples of cheese to operators, is way over the top. But I guess they don't want pizzeria owners knowing they get their cheese from the same firm that Pizza Slut and Domihoes down the street get theirs from.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
But I guess they don't want pizzeria owners knowing they get their cheese from the same firm that Pizza Slut and Domihoes down the street get theirs from.

Whoa, Zing. I've never seen you get so nasty before! :o

Offline Zing

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
On a trip through York, PA we stopped in at Jim and Nena's Pizzeria on Memory Lane. The owner of this branch of the chain provided a testimonial for the Bacio website:
http://www.baciocheese.com/testimonials/
This is a basic pizzeria, offering very good value for money. They make a New York style, and the crust is above average for the area.

We ordered a whole cheese pie so it would be fresh. There were no marketing materials in the store advertising particular food products used. No visible cheese boxes or packaging materials, so no guarantee this particular pie used Bacio cheese. However, there is a link to a Vimeo video on Bacio's testimonials. It is video number 75542564. The sheen and stretch on this pie was similar to the that seen on the pies in the video. Well, the cheese did not taste like the imported buffalo milk mozzarella my neighbor bought (it was not a match for Shakey's cheese either) a few months ago in a gourmet shop. The cheese was good, but it was not the second coming. It reminded me of the cheese you get in basic, stand-up NYC neighborhood slice joints. Never bad, but not spectacular.

The linked-to Vimeo video looks like it was shot by a moonlighting Food Network crew. Four of the five pizza operators shown are within easy driving distance of Roma Foods division headquarters. The scenes are filled with edited sound bites, and we all know how that goes. From both the testimonials web page and video, you can see who their targeted customers are: mom and pop pizzerias and small Italian restaurant chains who buy the "better" cheeses. Many of these buy from Italian foods distributors rather than the national broadline distributors. I have no problem with a wholesaler promoting a private label brand line of products, but market it ethically.

One of the pizza operators shown in the Vimeo video includes a tie-in to Bacio cheese on his website. In the Youtube video for one of his branches, he states, and I quote, "From, ah, the fresh basil we put on, to, ah, the buffalo milk mozzarella, to the pizzas, put it right on top like this." While you, too, can identify the endorsers, I don't want to cause anyone embarrassment from a Google search.

I can find only one other thread here that discusses "regular, unfrozen" Leprino pizza cheese,
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7386.msg63688#msg63688
and I have never come across any for sale with Leprino's name on it. A review of "regular, unfrozen" Leprino vs. Bacio would be of interest, if only for the pizza operators among the members here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:25:53 AM by Zing »

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »
I can attest to the sheen of the Bacio cheese.... it is fairly browning resistant as well.

One thing about the Bacio cheese I noticed is that it melts very oddly....it melts and expands significantly. When making a pie with bacio you have to make a somewhat pronounced rim. It doesn't lend itself to the thinner crust styles because it will run over the sides almost everytime. I have a theory on this as well... I think they really did engineer this for the mom and pop shops so that they can get better coverage with less cheese. But then again, what business wants to SAVE it's clients money...it's not like cheese isn't a fairly cornered market at this point in time. Nonetheless, the melting properties of Bacio has a very weird artifact IMO.

Another thing, for such pronounced melting..it doesn't stretch too impressively IMO and it isn't a very good reheater either.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:35:34 PM by Hobbs »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
I can attest to the sheen of the Bacio cheese.... it is fairly browning resistant as well.

One thing about the Bacio cheese I noticed is that it melts very oddly....it melts and expands significantly. When making a pie with bacio you have to make a somewhat pronounced rim. It doesn't lend itself to the thinner crust styles because it will run over the sides almost everytime. I have a theory on this as well... I think they really did engineer this for the mom and pop shops so that they can get better coverage with less cheese. But then again, what business wants to SAVE it's clients money...it's not like cheese isn't a fairly cornered market at this point in time. Nonetheless, the melting properties of Bacio has a very weird artifact IMO.

Another thing, for such pronounced melting..it doesn't stretch too impressively IMO and it isn't a very good reheater either.

I agree with your expansion theory. I have to keep myself in check and put on less than I want to because after it bakes it appears to have much more volume (thickness in particular).

Josh

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
Bill/SFNM beat me to the punch on this one. But, to add to what Bill said, spammers usually try to slip links into their posts or in signature lines or with their avatars. Maybe the new member is just a big fan of the Bacio cheese and wants to shout it out to the world. Even if the member is a spammer, I would not want to delete the post by scott r or the other members with opinions and views on the Bacio cheese.

Peter

Did you notice that this bruiser only has 1 post though?

shenanigans indeed
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
Did you notice that this bruiser only has 1 post though?

shenanigans indeed
The Railroad Bulls,

The vast majority of new members do not become regular posters. We have thousands of members on the books who have never posted outside of their initial introductory posts. So, you can't draw any conclusions in this instance.

Peter

pizzapan