Author Topic: Mixing time  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Kermit

Mixing time
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:28:43 AM »
For those of you that use planetary mixers when making dough - how long do you mix, and how does the routine look like?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mixing time
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:49:46 AM »
Mix time is inextricably tied to flour and formula. The amount of development you want on the front end depends on the flour specifications, fermentation schedule, and hydration. An example:

Caputo Pizzeria 00
Hydration: 62%
Fermentation time: 18 hours room temp

Mix time here would be 2-3 minutes on low in a planetary home mixer, with a 20 minute autolyse after initial incorporation. A stretch and fold would be used after 1 hour fermentation.

King Arthur Bread Flour
Hydration: 75%
Fermentation: 8 hours

Mix time here would be 4 minutes on low, 20 minute rest, 4-8 minutes on medium high until the dough pulled away from the sides.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Thanks. Alright, that's quite a short mixing time actually. I saw that "making with the masters" and they talked about 10 minutes with a Hobarth?

I guess that the shorter mixing time with make a weaker dough that has a great crunch and is soft on the inside? Correct?

I usually have a bulk rise at RT for 18 hours, and then ball and rest for 4-6 hours before use.

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
For those of you that use planetary mixers when making dough - how long do you mix, and how does the routine look like?

Hi Kermit.  I'm learning judge the mixing length by the feel and look of the dough.  I use Caputo at 57%-58% hydration and I mix it until the dough starts looking smooth and feels like a baby's belly. That said, when I see and feel the dough reach that stage, it has typically has been mixing for 4-5 minutes.  I don't even bother with the window-pane test because the gluten develops by itself during bulk fermentation (specially long ones).  When mixing a large amount of flour, like I did this weekend with 2kg, I let the dough autolyse for 30-40 minutes. 

Btw, I use a KitchenAid Pro 600.

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
My procedure is a 20-25 minute autolyse with all wet and dry ingredients(withholding 25% of the flour) a 5 minute mix, followed by an approximate 3 minute mix while slowly adding the last 25% of the total flour.  I am using a borrowed KA mixer 325 watter with a regular dough hook.  I have basically settled on a 63% hydration dough formula with a 24-48 hour room temp ferment at this point,  using KABF and the camaldoli starter(my ischia was tossed out long ago)  I need to purchase another one.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:05:36 AM »
To make sure we aren't comparing apples to oranges, was the 10 min with a Hobarth also on med-high mix speed? I know I've seen some recipes call for longer mixing with lower speeds.